• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where would be better to go tomorrow morning... Union or Norfolk?

I'd have to think Norfolk. They will probably get a better push of precip before the warm layer comes in...their extra elevation and distance from the marine influence might serve them better for icing too.

I'm starting to wonder if the models might be blowing it on a potential near warning ice storm scenario amid these Advisory cut outs.

1) Regional temps are sliding back toward 0C, while DPs range from 21-29F across all sites and unofficial 'tweeners. Wet bulb temperatures are probably closer to 29 than 33F this time, due to the fact that pressures are unbalanced on the high side N of the region (due to pp anomaly associated with polar high). This sort of scenario is always under anticipated.

2) The lowest grid is likely not accurately handled regardless of model type when we input saturation into that - ageostrophic flow is likely too weak amid the guidance types once this air mass saturates. Even if not very observed, with higher pp N, it is going to be very difficult to erode out the llv cold. The way that works is, cold dense saturated, homogenous lower boundary layer air mass will flow from meso high toward meso low in the lowest 50 mb of the atmosphere, and this will set up below the inversion at ~ 100mb up. Above that, baroclinic events transpire as though the column on the bottom were not there.

If there were not high up there I'd say we get 32-33F along Rt 2 with temps apprroaching 50S of the Pike by mid way through the event. But given to the observation that BL resistence is stacked heading N and set up nearly ideally for ageostrophic drain, I am wondering if we 're missing the boat on this.

Hard to think outside the box sometimes with all these pretty model graphics to digest every 3 to 6 hours.

I'm starting to wonder if the models might be blowing it on a potential near warning ice storm scenario amid these Advisory cut outs.  

1) Regional temps are sliding back toward 0C, while DPs range from 21-29F across all sites and unofficial 'tweeners.   Wet bulb temperatures are probably closer to 29 than 33F this time, due to the fact that pressures are unbalanced on the high side N of the region (due to pp anomaly associated with polar high).  This sort of scenario is always under anticipated.

2) The lowest grid is likely not accurately handled regardless of model type when we input saturation into that - ageostrophic flow is likely too weak amid the guidance types once this air mass saturates.  Even if not very observed, with higher pp N, it is going to be very difficult to erode out the llv cold.   The way that works is, cold dense saturated, homogenous lower boundary layer air mass will flow from meso high toward meso low in the lowest 50 mb of the atmosphere, and this will set up below the inversion at ~ 100mb up.  Above that, baroclinic events transpire as though the column on the bottom were not there.  

If there were not high up there I'd say we get 32-33F along Rt 2 with temps apprroaching 50S of the Pike by mid way through the event.  But given to the observation that BL resistence is stacked heading N and set up nearly ideally for ageostrophic drain, I am wondering if we 're missing the boat on this.

Hard to think outside the box sometimes with all these pretty model graphics to digest every 3 to 6 hours.

If the GFS is right more snow than ice but if you half the difference it is an ice storm. Lots of dynamics, yet another full moon week blockbuster.

How do you think this is matching up with your thinking from a week ago?

In general, excellent. On a large scale, everything is shaping up in line to what was discussed a week ago.

Details-wise, I was anticipating a raging rain and wind storm with the option for an inch on the front and back ends. So this has been a pleasant development since then, with the expectation for a little more wintry appeal ... the stronger confluence and high pressure to our north, and the southern s/w staying separate from the large trough digging into the Ohio Valley.

1) Regional temps are sliding back toward 0C, while DPs range from 21-29F across all sites and unofficial 'tweeners. Wet bulb temperatures are probably closer to 29 than 33F this time, due to the fact that pressures are unbalanced on the high side N of the region (due to pp anomaly associated with polar high). This sort of scenario is always under anticipated.

2) The lowest grid is likely not accurately handled regardless of model type when we input saturation into that - ageostrophic flow is likely too weak amid the guidance types once this air mass saturates. Even if not very observed, with higher pp N, it is going to be very difficult to erode out the llv cold. The way that works is, cold dense saturated, homogenous lower boundary layer air mass will flow from meso high toward meso low in the lowest 50 mb of the atmosphere, and this will set up below the inversion at ~ 100mb up. Above that, baroclinic events transpire as though the column on the bottom were not there.

If there were not high up there I'd say we get 32-33F along Rt 2 with temps apprroaching 50S of the Pike by mid way through the event. But given to the observation that BL resistence is stacked heading N and set up nearly ideally for ageostrophic drain, I am wondering if we 're missing the boat on this.

well we do have about 18 pages of discussion about this

Man I hope the GFS is right with that 522 ULL rotating farther south for Friday night.

Jeff, Eric , Mike and others in Maine, tremendous 850 inflow up there tomorrow, 6-12?

Yeah steve, The GFS hits friday pretty hard, It is something that will have to watched the next few runs, Classic model battle going on here, GFS and Euro are cold and Nam and Srefs are warm and on there own

pseudo transient -NAO helping here? You do well with the follow up too, should be a fantastic wintry weekend for you, congrats Dendrite

I'm not impressed with Friday yet. I think that belongs to upstate NY toward YUL. Maybe there's some GS/PL or FZRA/RA or even a rumbler.

Archived