• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what you're worried about. What are you expecting?

18z runs looked good to me and we're getting a nice drain of dry/cool air.

I am thinking we're getting 1-3" then ice then over to rain. I was expecting 4-6" when this first started to trend colder a couple days ago but the 18z NAM is definitely worrying although 12z ECM is pretty chilly. I am right on the Massachusetts border so it's going to be hard to fight the mid-level warmth. I also am a bit worried that the surface is not cooling fast enough. The forecasted high was 32F today and we hit 38F, consistent overperformance of warmth this winter. Temperatures aren't far enough below freezing in the Monadnocks and ORH right now.

I don't think this is a fair analysis because the damming high is having much more of an effect in New England than in the Poconos. Once the WAA starts to run into the cold air associated with the 1025mb high over Eastern Quebec, you're going to see a halt in the progress of warm air moving northward. The Poconos are usually a poor spot in these types of set-ups because they're pretty far SW, and Mt Pocono especially. They are also on the west side of the Apps so don't benefit nearly as much from CAD.

I am a bit worried about temps though. AFN has clouded over at 28F and ORH is still at 31F. Also, winds are east, not northeast.

Mount Pocono is on the far east side of the Apps and always gets CAD, even at elevation. If they are raining, it will {eventually} be raining in SNE. Mt Pocono sits at about 1800 ft, next to Tobyhanna/ Gouldsboro, which is basically the snow belt of NE PA. Mt. Pocono and Scranton have very different microclimates. The microclimate of Mt. Pocono is similar to NW of Worcester or the Catskills.

A bit OT, but how does the td affect icing?

The lower the dew point ...the larger the dew point depression (temp-td) ... the more evaporative cooling will occur when precipitation moves in (the temperature and dew point converge on the wetbulb temp ... hence "wetbulbing")

If you can get a low level flow feeding in lower tds from the north/NE throughout the storm, it helps maintain subfreezing temps.

Mount Pocono is on the far east side of the Apps and always gets CAD, even at elevation. If they are raining, it will {eventually} be raining in SNE. Mt Pocono sits at about 1800 ft, next to Tobyhanna/ Gouldsboro, which is basically the snow belt of NE PA. Mt. Pocono and Scranton have very different microclimates. The microclimate of Mt. Pocono is similar to NW of Worcester or the Catskills.

The Poconos don't have the damming power of the Greens/Adirondacks; the ranges to the west of NH/Mass are much taller and more likely to hold cold air in from Quebec when the mid-level flow is from the SW. I know what I'm talking about because my parents have a vacation house in Lake Como, PA (northern Wayne County)...that area torches on a lot of SW flow events that are snow and ice in New England. Sure, they receive plenty of snow with that elevation but they don't have the microclimate of areas like the Monadnocks or ORH hills because they're farther from high pressure over Quebec and not as protected since the Poconos are lower in elevation.

Yeah I agree with this. It's not clear how well the drier air will drain from the NE... especially with winds a bit more backed than I'd like. May argue for a bit more ice in more distant interior like GC over ORH hills?

I'm not sure...it might. If we end up too easterly, then we will be cut off from the cold/dry air source and so would GC. It might be a situation where they hold onto 31-32F icing for an extra hour or two but its still generally inefficient for both areas. Could be fairly brief for both areas if that happens. As the low approaches, we should start to see the winds go more ENE and perhaps NE...but how soon it does that might be critical.

We have a screaming E/SE wind here on the coast already with warming temps. Coastal front will be well northwest, ie. I-84 to I-90 to I-495 corridor. Looking like a serious ice storm for the distant interior with minimal snowfall. I would be fueling up a generator if I lived north of the Pike outside the 495 loop.....

These hourly updates from you are going to be brutal.

After a brief shot of radiational cooling it's not a surprise temperatures are bumping up a smidge as clouds thicken and winds pick up a bit.

not that it matters down here, but we've bumped from 39 this evening to 43 now...still inching up with E winds.

These hourly updates from you are going to be brutal.

After a brief shot of radiational cooling it's not a surprise temperatures are bumping up a smidge as clouds thicken and winds pick up a bit.

Nate has been traumatized by growing up in the lower Hudson Valley.

We have a screaming E/SE wind here on the coast already with warming temps. Coastal front will be well northwest, ie. I-84 to I-90 to I-495 corridor. Looking like a serious ice storm for the distant interior with minimal snowfall. I would be fueling up a generator if I lived north of the Pike outside the 495 loop.....

LOL.

Archived