• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

No spike here... very slight decline... half a degree over the last hour 29.0F attm...

Wind is SE, I would guess around 2-5 mph

But this is more for the obs thread.

Will messenger or Phil get any thunder?

We got as low as 29.3F, then jumped to 30.8F but have since fallen back about a degree to 29.7F.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really surprised BGM started as -RA at 1600'. I thought they'd begin with a light snow or freezing rain at that elevation, seems like a bad sign. Their winds are already SE so the CAD is not that deep.

BGM isn't a classic CAD location though...neither is ALB. This will be one of those storms where west of the Greens and Berks don't really have much of a chance until you get up near Lake George or so.

Friday looks underwhelming on the NAM. It's a nice squall line, but the problem is it seems to be rain. Maybe it flips to snow and up to an inch here. Otherwise the main recipients of snow are in central NY where they are better positioned.

Upslope that may set up later for Pete, PF, etc. is another matter, but doesn't impact me.

I don't think this is a fair analysis because the damming high is having much more of an effect in New England than in the Poconos. Once the WAA starts to run into the cold air associated with the 1025mb high over Eastern Quebec, you're going to see a halt in the progress of warm air moving northward. The Poconos are usually a poor spot in these types of set-ups because they're pretty far SW, and Mt Pocono especially. They are also on the west side of the Apps so don't benefit nearly as much from CAD.

I am a bit worried about temps though. AFN has clouded over at 28F and ORH is still at 31F. Also, winds are east, not northeast.

Usually areas from NEPA to the western side of the HV are good indications of what to expect upstream in areas of NWCT and MA but in SWFEs it can be alittle tricky.. You guys tend to hang onto the cold alittle longer and have enough lattitude to allow the secondary to take over. We are sometimes caught in the middle.

The whole scenario..in any kind of normal winter we'd probably get a decent lets say 4-6 inch front end followed by some PL and FZRA and GFL gets maybe 8" and all snow.... Not this year ......

BGM isn't a classic CAD location though...neither is ALB. This will be one of those storms where west of the Greens and Berks don't really have much of a chance until you get up near Lake George or so.

33/22 now ..sorry to be the bearer of the bad temp. news..... I'm about the same latitude as NZucker, but west of course.

The whole scenario..in any kind of normal winter we'd probably get a decent lets say 4-6 inch front end followed by some PL and FZRA and GFL gets maybe 8" and all snow.... Not this year ......

I don't think this is a fair analysis because the damming high is having much more of an effect in New England than in the Poconos. Once the WAA starts to run into the cold air associated with the 1025mb high over Eastern Quebec, you're going to see a halt in the progress of warm air moving northward. The Poconos are usually a poor spot in these types of set-ups because they're pretty far SW, and Mt Pocono especially. They are also on the west side of the Apps so don't benefit nearly as much from CAD.

I am a bit worried about temps though. AFN has clouded over at 28F and ORH is still at 31F. Also, winds are east, not northeast.

West side of the apps, you sure about that? Last time I checked, Poconos were located rather far east in the apps lol. Anyways, Poconos get cad signatures all the time, many severe ice storms have come from it. That damning gets trapped along the east side of the Apps once inawhile and forget about it.

I honestly agree with the original poster though, Mt Pocono at an elevation of roughly 2000 feet just to my s/w starting off as rain in Nepa. hmmm.. I started with a sleet/rain mixture here at 1,230 feet. That Binghamton report of an elevation of 1600 feet is a scary thought too for some of you guys in my opinion.

Sorry for entering the thread, but a short report to your s/w guys, 34 here with sleet/ rain mixture.

West side of the apps, you sure about that? Last time I checked, Poconos were located rather far east in the apps lol. Anyways, Poconos get cad signatures all the time, many severe ice storms have come from it. That damning gets trapped along the east side of the Apps once inawhile and forget about it.

I honestly agree with the original poster though, Mt Pocono at an elevation of roughly 2000 feet just to my s/w starting off as rain in Nepa. hmmm.. I started with a sleet/rain mixture here at 1,230 feet. That Binghamton report of an elevation of 1600 feet is a scary thought too for some of you guys in my opinion.

Sorry for entering the thread, but a short report to your s/w guys, 34 here with sleet/ rain mixture.

BGM is not that best locale for this cold air damming. The air is modified and downsloped, and 850 temps start spiking. Same deal with MPO. I agree they can wedge, but they need a better high and antecedent airmass. being farther from the source region hurts.

They are west of the higher mountain ranges like the Catskills and Greens that have more of a CAD signature. Obviously we are talking relatively here as I'm posting from New Hampshire, where a damming high north of the border is going to be much more effective than at MPO and BGM. I agree that the storm is trending warmer and will probably end up being a toaster bath here, but I don't necessarily agree that just because it's rain at 1600' in BGM means it will be rain here.

You certainly have a right to enter the thread. :) Good to get upstream obs...

lol...

Overnight: Snow likely, mainly after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 24. East wind between 7 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

30.2/27

That being said, it "feels" like an icestorm. The radar downstream looks awesome too.

BGM is not that best locale for this cold air damming. The air is modified and downsloped, and 850 temps start spiking. Same deal with MPO. I agree they can wedge, but they need a better high and antecedent airmass. being farther from the source region hurts.

The Binghamton quote was directed more toward latitude respectfully compared to some locations in the MA/CONN area thats all. Not to mention some added elevation. Although I agree, not the best example given the lower latitude down here especially. We just have elevation on our side in MOST cases. Although with this set up your right, we are just to far south away from the source. You gotta admit though, latest short range models are a bit alarming for some of your southern regions. Nne looks in store for a nice thumping still.

btw, enjoy reading the threads here guys. I wish you guys luck tonight.

Archived