• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

Rolling right along.

Winter storm watches up for much of interior New England for the snow and ice threat.

More evidence growing for an ice threat in my opinion. The CAD signature has been fairly unwavering. Mid level warming, which also has been unwavering, will surely mix snow with sleet, and by the late afternoon as the dry slot moves in, I think much of the region will be dealing with freezing drizzle, lasting overnight as the longer-wave mid level trough remains to our west.

Also, definitely keeping an eye on Friday. Model guidance continues to really dig that trough into the Ohio Valley in classic bowling ball fashion. As it lifts northeastward, a s/w spoke coming around will trigger secondary cyclogenesis in Virginia (note baggy isobars), and rotate it northward into New York state. As has been discussed, these events can perform very well (with the upper low), especially adding in upslope. You can get high ratios as mid level temps drop off and a round of strong UVVs swings through with the s/w. This targets western (and upslope areas) the greatest.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:snowman:

They actually kind of did both, lol...I was looking at early frames down here for SNE and they were colder at 09z and 12z Thursday vs the 15z run, but then when you get to 18z Thursday, they are a bit warmer in SNH...but the spread becomes enormous by that time in NH, so its obvious the members are in disagreement up there by 18z.

They actually kind of did both, lol...I was looking at early frames down here for SNE and they were colder at 09z and 12z Thursday vs the 15z run, but then when you get to 18z Thursday, they are a bit warmer in SNH...but the spread becomes enormous by that time in NH, so its obvious the members are in disagreement up there by 18z.

I think i may end up flirting with a warm layer unless we get this to tic SE, Its going to be close, I can see a good front end thump to IP ending as FRZDR here

snowNH might have saw the 18z time. I did the same thing Will did...had to do a double take. Maybe it's spread related, or lift isn't as strong allowing for warmth to move nwd,

It could be a couple members going nuts...hard to say. Yesterday we saw the SREFs actually tick a shade warmer on one run but the snow probabilities went up because the mean was being skewed by a couple warm members.

snowNH might have saw the 18z time. I did the same thing Will did...had to do a double take. Maybe it's spread related, or lift isn't as strong allowing for warmth to move nwd,

I think once the surface low moves off to the NE, The 850's warmed over 0C here when i was looking at the gfs earlier

I think once the surface low moves off to the NE, The 850's warmed over 0C here when i was looking at the gfs earlier

Yeah you kind of pull a typical swfe for our area. Front end dump of snow, then dryslot or ice..something like that. That warm layer is something to watch...I haven't looked hard for your area, but it moves pretty steadily nwd. Damage is mostly done by then anyways.

Yeah you kind of pull a typical swfe for our area. Front end dump of snow, then dryslot or ice..something like that. That warm layer is something to watch...I haven't looked hard for your area, but it moves pretty steadily nwd. Damage is mostly done by then anyways.

It was on the backend and your right the best lift was long gone by then, We will just add a little crust on top for good measure

One thing I'd like to see on the 00z runs is for it to increase the omega on the front a little more....it will help fight the warm nose trying to punch in at 800mb...on previous guidance, the omega starts off a little mediocre for a few hours which allows the warm nose aloft to make better progress north. The big omega comes in right as we are flipping or just after we flip which tries to dynamically cool it, but its a little bit late on those cases which keeps snowfall in the 1-3" range until you get near the NH border.

One thing I'd like to see on the 00z runs is for it to increase the omega on the front a little more....it will help fight the warm nose trying to punch in at 800mb...on previous guidance, the omega starts off a little mediocre for a few hours which allows the warm nose aloft to make better progress north. The big omega comes in right as we are flipping or just after we flip which tries to dynamically cool it, but its a little bit late on those cases which keeps snowfall in the 1-3" range until you get near the NH border.

Wish the airmass was a little colder to get better Tip frontal upglide. Remember those events in 2007? They had like a 60kt 850 jet from the sw over LI and then almost calm winds just out ahead of it, in srn CT.

Archived