• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

I know carrying over snowless streaks over two winters is like saying the Packers had a 20 game winning streak going back to last year...I usually do not like linking two seasons be it weather or football...but since this has been so piss poor and appears that the "pattern change" will last all of 4 days with highs for Boston now projected back into the mid to upper 40's for next Tuesday...I would like to think about just hwo bad it has been in the metro boston area for almost one calendar year now.

Since the absolutely historic snow blitz of January where we had over 70 inches of snow in just over 5 weeks Boston has seen less than 10 inches of snow. As of Feb 2nd of last year...Boston has been pretty much shut out. The rest of Feb saw under 5...March had absolutely zero inches of snow...even the great halloween storm which has been everyone else's saving grace this winter gave Boston under one inch that was gone in less than two hours that morning. Kind of a historic streak if you think back to last year which now inclused a virutally snowless Feb '11, March '11, November '11, December 11, January 11?

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neat seeing the drain into ORH county and then down the CT River valley. Nothing west of there though. Balmy 33.7/22 here at the Pit. Need a lot better tomorrow if we want any ice.

Jeez, I'm 27/22 here right now in my little elevated valley. You are on Mt Tropical some nights.

That bodes well for prolonged fzra thursday.

NECN had a video piece tonight about Wa Wa taking a hit from this non-winter we are having this year.

http://www.necn.com/...900&feedID=4211

I disagree with her about the manmade stuff being better... but yeah, way fewer folks there this season. IMBY syndrome

They still do fine.

Anyway, I hope they cancel work so I can report on when things flip to various types of precip during this event

I know carrying over snowless streaks over two winters is like saying the Packers had a 20 game winning streak going back to last year...I usually do not like linking two seasons be it weather or football...but since this has been so piss poor and appears that the "pattern change" will last all of 4 days with highs for Boston now projected back into the mid to upper 40's for next Tuesday...I would like to think about just hwo bad it has been in the metro boston area for almost one calendar year now.

Since the absolutely historic snow blitz of January where we had over 70 inches of snow in just over 5 weeks Boston has seen less than 10 inches of snow. As of Feb 2nd of last year...Boston has been pretty much shut out. The rest of Feb saw under 5...March had absolutely zero inches of snow...even the great halloween storm which has been everyone else's saving grace this winter gave Boston under one inch that was gone in less than two hours that morning. Kind of a historic streak if you think back to last year which now inclused a virutally snowless Feb '11, March '11, November '11, December 11, January 11?

I was thinking of that today.

It was worth it.

I thought of that, but figured there have been enough meltdowns, today.

At least you are probably going to see some accumulating snow. Hopefully you pull off a couple of inches. Its more than a lot of people will get.

Might as well try and enjoy it for a few hours in this wasteland of a winter.

It will be very difficult to dislodge the cold air once it becomes entrenched in the interior...esp on those eastern slopes of the ORH hills and Monads.

The way you described it warming is how almost all ice events go here...the cold layer becomes more and more shallow with time and eventually we hit the death obs of 33F and rain unless we are getting a steady diet of lower dewpoint air from the northeast to offset the latent heat release...but if we get too easterly, then we just warm from the top down.

Actually, in most of the icing events here, it does turn to a 33F rain at the end, but usually doesn't do anything to melt the ice off the trees. Really the Dec '08 ice storm was an exception and that it never went to rain...and even the colder models had it flipping to rain the final 6 hours, but it never did. Jan 7-8, 2009 also never flipped...but last year we went to 33-34F at the end in the 2/25 event and briefly spiked to like 37 in the 2/5 event after hours of 31F and ice.

The low track might make a big difference on how fast the sfc warms.

Yeah you just have to hope the storm goes closer to the Cape, and not over Cory's accordion or something like that.

Huh... that is really interesting. Had not thought of it like that. We'll see how the second part of Jan winds up...

I'm just messn....you've been good this season.

No one is perfect.

I know...I caught the reference.

I was feeling this one...not giving up yet based on the NAM but looking at the water vapor tonight I had a bad feeling about this suite. That is one tight s/w and the longer it stays that way the more midlevel warmth gets north :(

Yeah you just have to hope the storm goes closer to the Cape, and not over Cory's accordion or something like that.

LOL...yeah. Although the '08 storm basically went over him, lol. I remember Ekster was reporting winds ripping to like 60mph from the south with temps in the 60s. That was an epic morning.

Here's a pretty cool animation that the poster Monsonwx from eastern made...showing the temps from 9pm the night before and then 6am the next morning....look at the temp gradient in RI/SE MA/SE CT....then of course all the stations that lost power in the icing zone.

2q0il2r.jpg

I have been sitting on 1.5 since late October, not even a trace. TOmorrow nyc sets the record for latest date in met winter without a tr of snow. I would give anything for 30 minutes of snow before rain, its been a hellacious run and I am a beaten weenie.

I give up

The 00z NAM is even bringing P-Type issues to ALB and CON at this point... Not sure if that is a bad run or not...

Listen, this is the 2nd time in 36 hours my home system contracted this "Win 7 antivirus 2012" virus, and American was that only interfacing going on at each time. I started a thread to warn of this, and even PM some mods, but my thread(s) were deleted and I have heard of no action being taken.

Now it is clear this is coming from American's servers and I trust that this time it won't be ignored and action actually be taken to protect the community of users. This can be reported.

I'm logging off for the time being to protect my home system.

LOL...yeah. Although the '08 storm basically went over him, lol. I remember Ekster was reporting winds ripping to like 60mph from the south with temps in the 60s. That was an epic morning.

Here's a pretty cool animation that the poster Monsonwx from eastern made...showing the temps from 9pm the night before and then 6am the next morning....look at the temp gradient in RI/SE MA/SE CT....then of course all the stations that lost power in the icing zone.

2q0il2r.jpg

That is true, It blew his accordion right out of his hand..lol.

J/K Cory.

But yeah, that gradient was sick. I remember. What a freak of nature that storm was.

2q0il2r.jpg

Of course I sit at 32.9999999999999, 2 miles s of the 32* contour. :lol:

Classic icing event.

The 00z NAM is even bringing P-Type issues to ALB and CON at this point... Not sure if that is a bad run or not...

Listen, this is the 2nd time in 36 hours my home system contracted this "Win 7 antivirus 2012" virus, and American was that only interfacing going on at each time. I started a thread to warn of this, and even PM some mods, but my thread(s) were deleted and I have heard of no action being taken.

Now it is clear this is coming from American's servers and I trust that this time it won't be ignored and action actually be taken to protect the community of users. This can be reported.

:weenie:

the pattern is clearly getting to you

That is true, It blew his accordion right out of his hand..lol.

J/K Cory.

But yeah, that gradient was sick. I remember. What a freak of nature that storm was.

The

low was more elongated SW to NE in that storm...so the CAD was more efficient...so I agree that we wouldn't get away with a track that close this time without going over to cold rain for a time. We usually want it a little further SE...that storm actually had a leading wave out ahead of the main low which I think you indirectly referenced...it helped increase the wind from 020 and drive the lower dewpoint air even further SW.

This storm at the sfc is a little more stout from E to W, so the CAD will have to fight a little hard at an angle a bit more easterly, so we'll want a track further east to offset that.

Man, if only we had some snow pack before this storm, lol.

Archived