• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bolton gets smoked on alot of upslope events. just smoked. i'm gonna be there fri evening for nite skiing in a foot of pow.

if a global like GFS shows .10-.25 precip in N greens in upslope event it usually equals 6-10 inches of powder. (if the global shows .25-.50) you can count on over a foot of powder on upslope favored areas. bc the globals underestimate the qpf in these meso scale upscale events....from reading posts from j. spin and powder freak.

when powder freak is geeked up about upslope that usually means a foot or more IMO

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT 259 AM EST WED JAN 11 2012 NYZ026>031-034-035-087-VTZ001>012-016>019-112100- /O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0001.120112T0900Z-120113T0000Z/ NORTHERN ST. LAWRENCE-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CLINTON- SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON- WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-SOUTHWESTERN ST. LAWRENCE-GRAND ISLE- WESTERN FRANKLIN-ORLEANS-ESSEX-WESTERN CHITTENDEN-LAMOILLE- CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-ORANGE-WESTERN RUTLAND- WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON- EASTERN RUTLAND- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MASSENA...MALONE...PLATTSBURGH... STAR LAKE...SARANAC LAKE...TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA... LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY...TICONDEROGA...OGDENSBURG...POTSDAM... GOUVERNEUR...ALBURGH...SOUTH HERO...ST. ALBANS...NEWPORT... ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY... MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH... RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...ENOSBURG FALLS... RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD... KILLINGTON 259 AM EST WED JAN 11 2012 ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 7 PM EST THURSDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 7 PM EST THURSDAY. * LOCATIONS...THE ENTIRE NORTH COUNTRY. * HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND MIXED PRECIPITATION. * ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES...ALONG WITH UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE POSSIBLE ACROSS SOUTHERN VERMONT AND PARTS OF THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY. * TIMING...SNOW DEVELOPS ACROSS SOUTHERN VERMONT BY EARLY THURSDAY MORNING AND SPREADS NORTH INTO NORTHERN NEW YORK AND THE REST OF VERMONT BY MID MORNING THURSDAY...BEFORE ENDING AS A PERIOD OF MIXED PRECIPITATION ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON. * IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS ANTICIPATED DURING THE THURSDAY MORNING COMMUTE. * WINDS...EAST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH. GUSTS TO 45 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE WESTERN SLOPES AND EXPOSED HIGHER TERRAIN. * TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 20S. * VISIBILITIES...BELOW ONE MILE AT TIMES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING. PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS WEATHER SITUATION. $$

As I said on the Upstate side where they have been lamenting not getting "feet" of LES..

Anyone who gets snow just has to be grateful. This year getting an inch is like a foot in the past. Just to have white covering my barren brown fields (albeit a mixed mess) is an improvement.

It's better than all rain and 45....

Hopefully it's more white than ice or liquid for you guys to the south. All guidance is pretty much all snow pre-dryslot up here still. Even the 6z NAM. The GFS is a little paltry, but the EC/ECens are generally a solid 0.75"ish. I still like 4-7"/5-8".

I wouldn't be shocked if you mix before the dryslot. Hopefully it's mostly snow..looks to be. Euro seemed like it may try to mix you at 21z.

I'm afraid that band with the U.L. could start as rain showers here, but hopefully a rapid transition to an period of snow as it rolls through. If I get 2 inches that's a success probably. The best seems west of me now.

I wouldn't be shocked if you mix before the dryslot. Hopefully it's mostly snow..looks to be. Euro seemed like it may try to mix you at 21z.

It wouldn't shock me either, but I thought the Euro looked cold during the main thump through 00z. WU has -4C 850s here at 21z. Are you talking above that level?

H8 does get near 0C on the NAM toward 18z, but it's pretty much done by 21z. A thin layer of 0-0.5C toward the end before the dryslot doesn't extremely concern me at this point.

Watches converted to advisories most of the region--right call as no one criteria would be met.

Meanwhile, the nice combo of conditions canceling school and light enough accumulations where shoveling may not be necessary (3" threshold here)..

Looks like we'll do ok. Good start. More to follow.

It wouldn't shock me either, but I thought the Euro looked cold during the main thump through 00z. WU has -4C 850s here at 21z. Are you talking above that level?

H8 does get near 0C on the NAM toward 18z, but it's pretty much done by 21z. A thin layer of 0-0.5C toward the end before the dryslot doesn't extremely concern me at this point.

Yeah it looks like around 800mb is where the trouble is.

Yeah you'll have most of that stuff out of the way by 21-22z anwyays I think, but don't be shocked if you mix with IP an hour or two earlier than you think. Root for the euro, because it has a nice little bend in the thickness field to the sw...indicating your CAD even just above 850mb.

I've noticed looking at the Euro maps that it's really trying to get precise lately with localized areas of CAD even at 850. I guess owing to the grid of model....I mean moreso than I see on the NCEP maps.

Yeah you'll have most of that stuff out of the way by 21-22z anwyays I think, but don't be shocked if you mix with IP an hour or two earlier than you think. Root for the euro, because it has a nice little bend in the thickness field to the sw...indicating your CAD even just above 850mb.

Archived