• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS 2M temps are cooler than the NAM..lol.

Looking at the lower leves. At 950mb, the NAM almost tries to pop a weak low somewhere near RI or along the soth coast, while the GFS is weaker and further west with it.

They look similar at 950mb too. So other than a spurious low trying to inject more marine air...not sure why NAM temps are warmer than GFS at the surface. I'd probably take the GFS surface temps and cool them a couple of ticks.

I have to admit, its funny seeing the tone of the board change with each model run. NAM comes out and everyone cancels the event and then GFS comes out and people are saying "well...not that bad I guess"....lol.

I think the NAM is too slow with its precip shield...its much slower than other guidance. I think icing is definitely going to be an issue for a time in the elevated interior as well.

I have to admit, its funny seeing the tone of the board change with each model run. NAM comes out and everyone cancels the event and then GFS comes out and people are saying "well...not that bad I guess"....lol.

I think the NAM is too slow with its precip shield...its much slower than other guidance. I think icing is definitely going to be an issue for a time in the elevated interior as well.

I still don't think the GFS changes much on the snow thinking. It torces aloft pretty quickly. It just reinforces the idea of icing.

This sure sounds ominous. lol

NORTHERN WORCESTER MA-CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-WESTERN ESSEX MA-

WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-WESTERN HAMPDEN MA-EASTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-

EASTERN HAMPDEN MA-SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX MA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARTFORD...WINDSOR LOCKS...CHARLEMONT...

GREENFIELD...ORANGE...BARRE...FITCHBURG...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...

LAWRENCE...CHESTERFIELD...BLANDFORD...AMHERST...NORTHAMPTON...

SPRINGFIELD...MILFORD...WORCESTER...AYER

1106 AM EST WED JAN 11 2012

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 1 PM

EST THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS...CONNECTICUT VALLEY AND INTERIOR NORTHEAST

MASSACHUSETTS.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND ICE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF UP TO 1 INCH...ALONG WITH

UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...LATE TONIGHT INTO THURSDAY.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL COULD DEVELOP FOR THE MORNING COMMUTE

DUE TO SLIPPERY UNTREATED SURFACES. THIS PRODUCT WILL BE UPDATED

LATER THIS AFTERNOON

I still don't think the GFS changes much on the snow thinking. It torces aloft pretty quickly. It just reinforces the idea of icing.

I don't think I'd change my forecast of 1-3" followed by icing. GFS def had a bit more snow than the NAM...the NAM was almost snowless here...mostly because it took forever to get the precip in here.

Most non-NAM models agree on the snow lasting until roughly 11-12z with about 0.25-0.35" of qpf falling in that time. I'd probably slice that a bit as the sleet can often come in quick, so I wouldn't go advisory snow here.

But if I had to believe the NAM, I'd almost go with ZR off the bat after maybe an hour of snow. I guess that is the difference I'm talking about.

your area looks primed for a pretty good icing event i think

I don't think I'd change my forecast of 1-3" followed by icing. GFS def had a bit more snow than the NAM...the NAM was almost snowless here...mostly because it took forever to get the precip in here.

Most non-NAM models agree on the snow lasting until roughly 11-12z with about 0.25-0.35" of qpf falling in that time. I'd probably slice that a bit as the sleet can often come in quick, so I wouldn't go advisory snow here.

But if I had to believe the NAM, I'd almost go with ZR off the bat after maybe an hour of snow. I guess that is the difference I'm talking about.

Even before the QPF on the NAM comes in here, it's warmer in the 950-850 layer than the GFS. That's what is kind of weird...starts out warmer ahead of it.

The models are also advecting moisture in off the water. I could see weenie snowgrains or light snow happening before the main stuff comes in here. Seems like ORH upslope may help with this.

This sure sounds ominous. lol

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARTFORD...WINDSOR LOCKS...CHARLEMONT...

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF UP TO 1 INCH...ALONG WITH

UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...LATE TONIGHT INTO THURSDAY.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL COULD DEVELOP FOR THE MORNING COMMUTE

DUE TO SLIPPERY UNTREATED SURFACES. THIS PRODUCT WILL BE UPDATED

LATER THIS AFTERNOON

Yeah, but in all reality, I seriously doubt that Charlemont will see the same snow/ice accumulations as Hartford or BDL. ...so take it with a grain of salt, you know?

...it's all about the net gain, and as long as the ground is white instead of brown at the end of this, I'll be thrilled.

Archived