• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks like it could be ripping aggregates here for a few hours centered around 09z...probably just flipping over around 11-12z. The weenie maps on wunderground gave me like 5" of snow...but I think those are run from Kevin's basement.

It does have that classic icing signature for ORH hills though after the flip...it has that finger of below freezing sfc temps coming down the spine to near Hubbdave or just south...it usually doesn't extend it far enough south...resolution issues once we start narrowing the ridges. If we can keep the sfc wind to the left of 060, then it could be prolonged.

If those maps were right, I would think you could pull closer to 3", but that warm layer has me thinking closer to 1.5"-2" Look at the 850 temps and even the 850-700 thickness line up in Maine. Hold CAD signal right there..even into the mid levels. I wish the NAM and SREFs agreed. having them closer to your side would have me feel better, but anyways..hope you rip for a couple of hours. The vortmax looks kind of strong and is probably tugging the warmth nwd, but I think we'll have a good 3-4hr period of strong lift as the snow moves in. Good luck.

But yeah, I thought icing signal too. I love the detail in those maps...it may not have it down precisely, but it shows you the orientation of what you would expect with that dip into Winchendon and places like that.

Yeah it did...N ORH county and into the Monadnocks would get more snow than I currently think if its right. Esp N ORH county...I already thought Monads were probably good for advisory snow, but they might be approaching low end warning criteria on the Euro.

Hubbdave-land is where it might conflict the most with my thinking. It would give him solid advisory snow, but I'm guessing we'll see the MLs warm a little faster than it has it. One of the keys to its snowier solution is having it really rip the precip in early...its probably snowing here by 1-2am on the Euro.

Congrats!

seems like one of those marginal icing events where mby is 32.7 for 4-6 hours, while most icing is limited to ~600'+. Meanwhile its rotting at 31 at ORH and 1/8" glaze. regardless I wont expect much more than an inch of snow and a thin glaze down in the lowlands lol

Hopefully there will be significant icing near the center of town. I could use a day off. Hopefully the srefs and nam tick cooler in a few minutes.

Scott, you keep mentioning that you think it looks good for icing in the ORH hills. So do you think below say 700-800' it will be just a cool rain?

Welp - the pattern has changed!

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

122 PM EST WED JAN 11 2012

VALID 12Z SAT JAN 14 2012 - 12Z WED JAN 18 2012

TELECONNECTIONS WITH STRONG POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE MID-LEVEL HEIGHT

ANOMALIES OVER THE BERING SEA AND BRITISH COLUMBIA RESPECTIVELY

TOWARD THE END OF THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD FAVOR A MEAN LONGWAVE

TROUGH OVER THE BRITISH COLUMBIA WITH STRONG ZONAL FLOW FROM ASIA

ACROSS THE PACIFIC INTO THE U.S. WEST AND EASTWARD INTO THE

ATLANTIC. THIS KEEPS BELOW AVG HTS AND COLD WET CONDITIONS IN THE

PACIFIC NORTHWEST. HIGHER HTS ARE FORECAST BY MEANS AND

TELECONNECTIONS ACROSS ERN CONUS.

Good job -

Welp - the pattern has changed!

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

122 PM EST WED JAN 11 2012

VALID 12Z SAT JAN 14 2012 - 12Z WED JAN 18 2012

TELECONNECTIONS WITH STRONG POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE MID-LEVEL HEIGHT

ANOMALIES OVER THE BERING SEA AND BRITISH COLUMBIA RESPECTIVELY

TOWARD THE END OF THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD FAVOR A MEAN LONGWAVE

TROUGH OVER THE BRITISH COLUMBIA WITH STRONG ZONAL FLOW FROM ASIA

ACROSS THE PACIFIC INTO THE U.S. WEST AND EASTWARD INTO THE

ATLANTIC. THIS KEEPS BELOW AVG HTS AND COLD WET CONDITIONS IN THE

PACIFIC NORTHWEST. HIGHER HTS ARE FORECAST BY MEANS AND

TELECONNECTIONS ACROSS ERN CONUS.

Good job -

That still gives us shot with the gradient, no? With plenty of cold air in Canada that could press down? grasping for straws am I?

That still gives us shot with the gradient, no? With plenty of cold air in Canada that could press down? grasping for straws am I?

Yeah... probably...

I thought it was funny because I bet with a fairly high degree of confidence that which is described by NCEP is not the pattern change people had in mind :)

Interesting observation in the PV/stratosphere. New warm node currently punching into the observation graph, and the associated u-vector anomaly is showing this one has having more vertical depth - emerging weak in the 30-50mb levels, but gaining strength.

This -AO mode out in time is gaining momentum based on that -

Yeah... probably...

I thought it was funny because I bet with a fairly high degree of confidence that which is described by NCEP is not the pattern change people had in mind :)

Interesting observation in the PV/stratosphere. New warm node currently punching into the observation graph, and the associated u-vector anomaly is showing this one has having more vertical depth - emerging weak in the 30-50mb levels, but gaining strength.

Can someone point me to some literature regarding stratosphere/PV/impacts on the General Circulation, if possible, impacts on AO/NAO modes? I really have no knowledge here aside from "SSWs are good for the East", lol. Would love to sink into a technical paper (or a few)...

Thanks in advance.

Eastern Canada torches pretty quickly after the middle of next week. So there is a 1 week window but it looks very meh.

One of the more spectacular failures in pattern change signals.

Can someone point me to some literature regarding stratosphere/PV/impacts on the General Circulation, if possible, impacts on AO/NAO modes? I really have no knowledge here aside from "SSWs are good for the East", lol. Would love to sink into a technical paper (or a few)...

Thanks in advance.

all sorts of links on the main page under the strato warming thread.

Yeah... probably...

which would do 2 things, even with an alaska vortex and -epo:

1. push the gradient further south, at least potentially....

2. increase the chances of popping a -NAO

yes?

Tip's ad-induced virus is about the most exciting nugget in this thread.

Speaking of which, I'm a donator... why the F am I getting advertisements???

Some people failed to get put into the donating group automatically. You should be all set now.

Fixed CapeCodWeather too.

If anyone else who donated is seeing ads, PM me and I'll fix.

Archived