• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

Well there was that one chart Will showed that morning, but the coldest spots didn't show up because nobody had power...lol.

It was between 28-30 for most spots I believe. But the air was never totally saturated and constantly advecting in lower TD air from the northeast. So this did two things. Number 1, you had a continuous source of cold air. The latent heat never built up enough to warm the atmosphere because it was constantly being removed. It was sent to Kevin's house..lol. Number 2, having a t-td spread of a few degrees along with 20-25kt winds will help with evaporational cooling. So putting it all together, you had the most perfect setup for icing.

Our wors't icing event was in 1998 here, We had surface temps between 22-24F with i think a 1038mb high north of here with LP passing to our west, We had over 1" ice accreation changed the landscape up here forever

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm simply amazed at how tough it has been to change this pattern even when globally things start moving. Winters have personalities it seems. Of course, one can hold out the hope that ours will change at some point like last year's but in the opposite direction. But the flips of 2006-07 are quite rare. Patterns moderate but very rarely do they go night and day like that winter.

All we've done is exchange one bad pattern for another bad battern but with a 7 day bobble in between. I just cannot believe how many major mets bought into the whole thing. I mean well respected people were out of their shoes clammoring about Boston Harbor becoming Dutch Harbor by the end of the month.

S/W is still very impressive on the vapor, be interested to see if the Euro punches a bit more ML warmth in?

Just don't advect a toaster into the tub.

I'm happy for the northern folks getting their frozen but how can you not enjoy this weather? 100% sunshine again today, it doesn't even feel cold even though it's only 40. Roads are clean, no messy ice or snowbanks anywhere. If we don't get a good one in the next week....I cross my fingers for one epic bomb of a storm and then move onto a toast for March.

What did the UK do?

I'm happy for the northern folks getting their frozen but how can you not enjoy this weather? 100% sunshine again today, it doesn't even feel cold even though it's only 40. Roads are clean, no messy ice or snowbanks anywhere. If we don't get a good one in the next week....I cross my fingers for one epic bomb of a storm and then move onto a toast for March.

What did the UK do?

I didn't see a big difference in the ukie from the other models.

I personally don't enjoy 40F wx in Jan. It's brown and useless outside. Everything looks dead and depressing.

Not likely. If we never get a cold shot here temps will be 5 or more degrees above normal heading into spring, shortening the window for that type of crap. The faster we get to 55ish, the faster we lose the fog.

Nah, we'll always have fog. It can be 80F right through the winter and we'll still get screwed.

The '08 ice storm actually had temps mostly 30F or higher...I think I briefly got to like 29.7F or something in that event, but the majority of it was 30-31F. It was the lower dews being advected in from the NE that made it possible to get crushed despite marginal temps. We were ripping like 20-25 from the northeast.

I didn't see a big difference in the ukie from the other models.

I personally don't enjoy 40F wx in Jan. It's brown and useless outside. Everything looks dead and depressing.

Yes. While it's fine to walk around in, winter without snow is depressing. Short dark days, brown ugly landscape....

But....walking around when it's mild is easier, lighter coats etc. Still, if we're not going to get snow I'd much prefer summer. I know alot on this forum hate summer but I like 2 seasons, winter and summer. Spring and Fall are useless and now that this winter is snowless, we can throw that in too.

Nah, we'll always have fog. It can be 80F right through the winter and we'll still get screwed.

There's days where it's 90 and we have fog here while you are all roasty. But those days diminish rapidly once the water temp gets above a certain point...in the last 8 or 9 years of watching it's been right about 53-55.

Biggest Euro run of our lives. ;)

Yes. While it's fine to walk around in, winter without snow is depressing. Short dark days, brown ugly landscape....

But....walking around when it's mild is easier, lighter coats etc. Still, if we're not going to get snow I'd much prefer summer. I know alot on this forum hate summer but I like 2 seasons, winter and summer. Spring and Fall are useless and now that this winter is snowless, we can throw that in too.

Haha, it's easy to hate spring in Boston when you don't get one!

I agree... give me snow or give me warmth... brutal cold is pretty much only useful in its ability to preserve snow.

My ranking of winter "quadrants":

Cold and wet (obviously, unless the wet is rain)

Warm and dry

Cold and dry (still a tease, but at least I know ski country can survive... this would be moved up in the days when I used to ski frequently)

Warm and wet (getting rained on a lot in winter just erodes a snowlover's soul)

Yeah I mean to each his own. I just like the landscape looking white.

Archived