• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you hold a bust against a meteorologist...then the list of those to trust will dwindle to zero very quickly, lol.

I'm just kidding you...you're among the best on this board. But I don't think we can have the same expectations this winter because we don't have the typical degree of antecedent cold in place as in most New England winters. We hit 41F here in Rindge today at 1200', so we're not starting this event with an arctic airmass in place and the low is cutting to the west initially. I never like events where the cold air is playing catch-up as in the last busted snowstorm here...this is a similar situation with a 1028mb high nosing in but not far enough to bring in a true northerly ageostrophic flow. The combination of warmer than average antecedent conditions and a ULL to the west cuts down on the threat for more than a few inches of slop here, in my mind. I also see that winds are a bit more easterly than northeast with the high moving offshore so I don't think we have a December 2008 mega ice storm coming.

No kidding. He had 25" of snow in Oct, while I struggled to get an inch on my car top. My total right now is 1.5". 0.5" came last night. How do you think I feel.

Yeah those posts are just about the absolute worst.

I'm glad the people in ski country will cash in... but I don't need to hear snow to ice people complaining that it's not what Will promised them. Grow up.

I'm just kidding you...you're among the best on this board. But I don't think we can have the same expectations this winter because we don't have the typical degree of antecedent cold in place as in most New England winters. We hit 41F here in Rindge today at 1200', so we're not starting this event with an arctic airmass in place and the low is cutting to the west initially. I never like events where the cold air is playing catch-up as in the last busted snowstorm here...this is a similar situation with a 1028mb high nosing in but not far enough to bring in a true northerly ageostrophic flow. The combination of warmer than average antecedent conditions and a ULL to the west cuts down on the threat for more than a few inches of slop here, in my mind. I also see that winds are a bit more easterly than northeast with the high moving offshore so I don't think we have a December 2008 mega ice storm coming.

well that was never the case.

but there will still likely be some decent cold air damming.

tomorrow's the colder day, not today so don't use that as the measuring stick.

On the first bolded...you'll see tomorrow night that the cold air will settle in. It should be in the 20s tomorrow night as the cold air drains down. So its not like the 12/23 event when it was 40F and we were trying to cool the BL from the top down.

On the 2nd bolded...no kidding, lol. We aren't getting 3 inches of qpf like in the Dec '08 storm.

But this is a snow to ice event for you and for me too. I might go to a cold rain before it ends, but I think a majority of the precip that falls is frozen/freezing. Maybe you tick to 34F late in the game, but it won't affect the event much. Most of the qpf will have fallen. I mean, I couldn't tell you if you will get 4.6" or 2.1" on the front end before the flip...but either way it should be a pretty wintry event there. We are not waiting to cool from the top down.

If we are all sitting at 36F tomorrow night, then it will be time to worry.

How often did he ask me to change the title of the last thread :lol:

I tried to tell him that the pessimism and worry was not because this winter has failed so far...there are similar meteorological reasons for each storm as to why it failed, and some of those are incorporated into this storm. It's not just "weenie" worry..there is actual meteorology behind it.

Archived