• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or maybe he is traumatized because he moved to an area that averages 90"+ per year and he is on a pace for 18" ;) (after 10/30)

28 and ovc here. At least we are cold at the lowest levels this time. On the other hand BGM has started as -RN so there is little room for error.

Nate has been traumatized by growing up in the lower Hudson Valley.

LOL.

No, I could honestly see Rindge getting less snow this winter than Dobbs Ferry in 10-11 (69.5") and 09-10 (68")...I am traumatized by the fact that it's mid January at 1200' in the Monadnocks and there's not any snow on the ground.

Tubes, enjoy the snow, whether its an inch or 5, some of us have not seen snow since October, each flake should be welcomed with open arms this year. I would kill for 5 minutes of light snow tonight, be thankful for whatever you get, you also get to enjoy later friday and friday night, it could be worse.

You know whats probably going to happen Joe.... you'll be in "best Spring ever" mode in mid/late March and then you'll get a few late season snowfalls. :) and Spring will then feature endless raw rain events.

Tubes, enjoy the snow, whether its an inch or 5, some of us have not seen snow since October, each flake should be welcomed with open arms this year. I would kill for 5 minutes of light snow tonight, be thankful for whatever you get, you also get to enjoy later friday and friday night, it could be worse.

Can anyone post the sref snowfall probs? No one posted them so I'm assuming they were a complete torch.

they aren't good. but that's not too shocking really.

this one has been beaten to a pulp at this point...not a whole lot to add from a model perspective. the ruc/hrrr won't even be all that useful as the big thing from here on out will be holding in the low level cold and watching the mid-level warmth move north (the RUC / HRRR will likely prove too quick there). it'll be surface obs, the exact placement of SLP and knowing your local climo.

Or maybe he is traumatized because he moved to an area that averages 90"+ per year and he is on a pace for 18" ;) (after 10/30)

28 and ovc here. At least we are cold at the lowest levels this time. On the other hand BGM has started as -RN so there is little room for error.

I'm really surprised BGM started as -RA at 1600'. I thought they'd begin with a light snow or freezing rain at that elevation, seems like a bad sign. Their winds are already SE so the CAD is not that deep.

So some of us are in the acceptance phase of the five step process and clinging to hope for Friday.... Others are still in the denial phase and relying on "real time" radars and obs because model data doesn't really matter now. Hah

this one has been beaten to a pulp at this point...not a whole lot to add from a model perspective. the ruc/hrrr won't even be all that useful as the big thing from here on out will be holding in the low level cold and watching the mid-level warmth move north (the RUC / HRRR will likely prove too quick there). it'll be surface obs, the exact placement of SLP and knowing your local climo.

I'm really surprised BGM started as -RA at 1600'. I thought they'd begin with a light snow or freezing rain at that elevation, seems like a bad sign. Their winds are already SE so the CAD is not that deep.

BGM is on the wrong side of the Catskills.

Seems like more of a win for the NAM ...and maybe even a little warmer than what the NAM had indicated for 1Z.

A day ago the Euro was forecasting this to begin as snow in north central PA....

The RUC/HRRR are complete torches...its really just the gfs/euro that give me hope for accumulating snow. I'm headed to bed soon so I will most likely wake up at 7 to bare ground anyway.

So some of us are in the acceptance phase of the five step process and clinging to hope for Friday.... Others are still in the denial phase and relying on "real time" radars and obs because model data doesn't really matter now. Hah

Looking at radar and the calandar says "snow", but in reality it says "no!"

lol

I'll be happy with at least being able to track something and gain a little knowledge. If I get some snow or ice, so be it.

This was my point earlier about Mt Pocono. It seems you are finally catching on to the significance of the observations to our SW......You will see a significant ice storm, not a snowfall.

This was my point earlier about Mt Pocono. It seems you are finally catching on to the significance of the observations to our SW......You will see a significant ice storm, not a snowfall.

Rindge will start as snow. Obviously I'm not crazy seeing BGM at 35F but the CAD is much deeper on this side of the Apps. We still have a chance for a decent snowfall if the 12z ECM verifies.

Nate may still pull some decent front end snow (not sure) , but here 110 miles up I-88 from BGM the writing is on the wall if they can't even start as a few hours of frozen. There would have to be some kind of wicked confluence going on to save us.

Archived