• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to assume the cold air is deep enough over there in NH for you still to have a nice front end. I wish I was about 125 miles further east now.....

lol...

Overnight: Snow likely, mainly after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 24. East wind between 7 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

30.2/27

That being said, it "feels" like an icestorm.

The Binghamton quote was directed more toward latitude respectfully compared to some locations in the MA/CONN area thats all. Not to mention some added elevation. Although I agree, not the best example given the lower latitude down here especially. We just have elevation on our side in MOST cases. Although with this set up your right, we are just to far south away from the source. You gotta admit though, latest short range models are a bit alarming for some of your southern regions. Nne looks in store for a nice thumping still.

btw, enjoy reading the threads here guys. I wish you guys luck tonight.

Yeah we may be in tough shape here, but I was never in the game for my area anyways. Story of the winter..lol. Actually, for this whole region.

Yeah we may be in tough shape here, but I was never in the game for my area anyways. Story of the winter..lol. Actually, for this whole region.

Yeah, I have been tracking the past several events up that way. So far the 10-12 inches back in October has been our biggest event around here lol. We had 4 inches with the storm on dec 7th, and we had about 1-2 inches last week with the some dieing les snow squalls that blew through. Overall horrible winter so far regardless where you are in the NE it seems.

Hey you have three times as much snow this season than Buffalo. :axe:

Yeah, I have been tracking the past several events up that way. So far the 10-12 inches back in October has been our biggest event around here lol. We had 4 inches with the storm on dec 7th, and we had about 1-2 inches last week with the some dieing les snow squalls that blew through. Overall horrible winter so far regardless where you are in the NE it seems.

How do you figure?

Keene is low elevation and on the wrong side of the mountains, not benefiting from any of the CAD ... hence 34F right now. Also, the best dynamics are further east. I could see Keene getting an hour or two of snow early tomorrow morning and quickly over to plain rain by 6am. IMBY at 1000ft, I might be dealing with an icier mix.

Will, are you worried about these temp obs, or was this expected before winds back to the NE with the developing coastal?

The EEN ob is definitely warmer than everyone else around them...its mostly upper 20s to around 30. I figure most places will be in the upper 20s once precip moves in an wetbulbing happen...winds are going ENE to NE in NJ now, so we'll see if that starts to happen up here as the pressure gradient gets tighter.

This event as mentioned before will come down to nowcasting quite a bit. I thought it could go either way back in the afternoon and I haven't really seen much to say one way or the other.

mesomap.jpg

There's the winds in NJ turing more ENE/NE as the PG tightens a bit

2012011203metarsalb.gif

If that happens in interior SNE while temps are still in the upper 20s, then the cold air will likely get locked in pretty good...if it doesn't happen until its too late, then the event will have a more abbreviated wintry aspect to it.

A little further north, but similar fate I'm afraid...I've gone from a low of 28 up to a current temperature of 30. We usually do pretty well in "classic" setups...maybe not like GFL or Eastern NE, but well nonetheless. Not meant to be this time.

Temp here near Albany jumped from 32 to 37 in the last 2 hours. :axe:

Just got back from being away all day in Boston so have to play catch up with all the posts which will take me an hour. lol

I can comment that the ride down Rt 2 had surprising temp profiles. My car thermometer is accurate to w/i .5 degree and I was disapointed to see 34 - 35F readings through the high elevations from Gardner to Irving.

Interestingly when I got down into Greenfield it was 32 and it's 30/27 imby currently. Usually the hilltowns are colder. Must be the cold air draining into the valley.

Greenfield DPW has pre-sanded all the main streets. New policy as of last year in these marginal set ups.

Time to unwind, have a beer look at the models and watch the rada for a bit and hope I can wake up to 1-2" and some frza.

I like the nowcast nature of this one though.

Good luck to all!

Wow was not expecting that.. Just looked outside down here in the Poconos folks, sleet/rain has now turned to moderate wet snow. Temp went from 34 to 32.

Interesting?

Sounds like you were able to dynamically cool whatever thin warm layer was in the column. MSV cooled down to 32F.

Archived