• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thursday's storm ...Rain, snow, ice, wind (part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel pretty good about a couple inches of accumulation for God's country, especially followed by a glaze of ice along the spine and east slopes of Berks.

Thinking maybe 2-4" for Pete up north.

As for areas to the east maybe an inch or 2 for ORH then over the sleet and some ZR.

I do think there will be up to 1/4" of ZR for the east slope of the Berks... NAM has a decent freezing rain signal.

Cool. I'll take 1-2" any day. BOX extended the 1-3" advisory south into southern ORH county. Cities like Millbury, Sutton, Charlton now under an advisory for 1-3" + a glaze.

Probably no big ice, but remember, it was warmer in 2008

The Euro had a decent amount of ice tomorrow morning but I'm not sure it will happen. We'll need to see the dewpoints drain effectively from SW ME and NH...we just won't know how well that happens for a while longer. The '08 storm had a much better sfc setup for draining dews...however, in the type of setup we have now, its been one of the tougher times to forecast because sometimes when its walking a fine line, the models will miss it and we stay ZR a lot longer...but other times we'll scour out the sfc cold much quicker.

The wind was more northeast, I believe, however...and you had a stronger damming high. There was also a lot more QPF in Dec 2008, as in 2-3" QPF. In this storm, we're generally talking about amounts less than 1" QPF...

Oh, no doubt less qpf, winds different. But not too warm for you and I, correct?

I guess once the wind scours out the surface cold (such as it is...29.4F/25 here now) it would flip.

I figure a tenth or 2 of ice on branches...what a pain in the arse

Mount Pocono is 35 F with light rain and a SE wind. Having lived in the Poconos for years, I can say that this bodes quite poorly for all of Southern New England, including the elevated interior. Mt. Pocono is the best downstream location to extrapolate to the Catskills and Berkshires. If its raining at Mt Pocono at the onset, the only front-end snow will be very brief with a quick transition to rain. This site is basically the PA-equivalent of ORH.

As an aside, I still have a dusting of snow in the shaded parts of the property from Tuesday night. Looking for the nice low-level convection PVD on SE tomorrow a.m. Congrats to Maine on the snow tomorrow...

The Euro had a decent amount of ice tomorrow morning but I'm not sure it will happen. We'll need to see the dewpoints drain effectively from SW ME and NH...we just won't know how well that happens for a while longer. The '08 storm had a much better sfc setup for draining dews...however, in the type of setup we have now, its been one of the tougher times to forecast because sometimes when its walking a fine line, the models will miss it and we stay ZR a lot longer...but other times we'll scour out the sfc cold much quicker.

I wish the pdfamily meso site could be toggled just to display dewpoints

Yeah I agree with this. It's not clear how well the drier air will drain from the NE... especially with winds a bit more backed than I'd like. May argue for a bit more ice in more distant interior like GC over ORH hills?

Mount Pocono is 35 F with light rain and a SE wind. Having lived in the Poconos for years, I can say that this bodes quite poorly for all of Southern New England, including the elevated interior. Mt. Pocono is the best downstream location to extrapolate to the Catskills and Berkshires. If its raining at Mt Pocono at the onset, the only front-end snow will be very brief with a quick transition to rain. This site is basically the PA-equivalent of ORH.

As an aside, I still have a dusting of snow in the shaded parts of the property from Tuesday night. Looking for the nice low-level convection PVD on SE tomorrow a.m. Congrats to Maine on the snow tomorrow...

I don't think this is a fair analysis because the damming high is having much more of an effect in New England than in the Poconos. Once the WAA starts to run into the cold air associated with the 1025mb high over Eastern Quebec, you're going to see a halt in the progress of warm air moving northward. The Poconos are usually a poor spot in these types of set-ups because they're pretty far SW, and Mt Pocono especially. They are also on the west side of the Apps so don't benefit nearly as much from CAD.

I am a bit worried about temps though. AFN has clouded over at 28F and ORH is still at 31F. Also, winds are east, not northeast.

I don't think this is a fair analysis because the damming high is having much more of an effect in New England than in the Poconos. Once the WAA starts to run into the cold air associated with the 1025mb high over Eastern Quebec, you're going to see a halt in the progress of warm air moving northward. The Poconos are usually a poor spot in these types of set-ups because they're pretty far SW, and Mt Pocono especially. They are also on the west side of the Apps so don't benefit nearly as much from CAD.

I am a bit worried about temps though. AFN has clouded over at 28F and ORH is still at 31F. Also, winds are east, not northeast.

Not sure what you're worried about. What are you expecting?

18z runs looked good to me and we're getting a nice drain of dry/cool air.

In New Jersey? Seriously?

Yeah, I figured my Oct snow would be my biggest, but was hoping for better than this disaster

a town 7 miles away from me but 800 ft higher had 19 inches in october. it was a disaster of a storm because of the late leaf drop. numerous trees and branches down

Archived