12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December moving forward...pattern disco

weathafella

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 1990 keeps showing up in the analogs a lot recently for GEFS and GGEM ensembles. What a terrible month that was.

I posted in NYC forum the other day how the 12/28/90 overruning snow event was quite possibly the worst pattern I have ever seen NYC measure 6 inches of snow from, a massive SE ridge with a raging +NAO and AO. I'm not sure how New England did in that event, overall it was a decent winter snow wise down this way, we averaged near normal with an event on 1/11/91 and 2/26/91.

Not to get OT, but have you done any stratospheric research with Koermer yet?

I actually talked to him about it in October, and he said that he's actually working on retiring soon so he didn't want to start anything new. I'm working with Aviles on tropical forcing stuff and subseasonal variation now

I can't recall any good snowstorms that winter. I checked and only 31" fell in 90-91 in Saugerties...below ALB. Perhaps it was better here.

90-91 was a big dud where I lived in Bristol CT. I was a senior in high school so I remember it very well. The first and only sig snow storm that year was a seven inch snow fall in very late December swfe. I want to say we finished that year with just over two feet for the entire winter. All the other events I believe were under three inches. A sig snow for me has always been at least three inches.

Judging by the fact that I only got 31" in the Mid Hudson Valley and ALB only got 29" ...it sounds like any storms went out to sea....

I posted in NYC forum the other day how the 12/28/90 overruning snow event was quite possibly the worst pattern I have ever seen NYC measure 6 inches of snow from, a massive SE ridge with a raging +NAO and AO. I'm not sure how New England did in that event, overall it was a decent winter snow wise down this way, we averaged near normal with an event on 1/11/91 and 2/26/91.

You know its bad when temperatures in Maine were warmer than south Florida this morning.... Burlington to Boston and points NE in NH and ME was the warmest spot in the country this morning. South Texas and the Gulf Coast has nothing on us up here in New England, lol.

A picture is worth how many words?

Tip, care to chime in?

Tragic!

you should probably take a few days off from the board.

Despite some terrible analog dates centered around Dec 10th...there are snow chances. Even Dec 1990 had one right after Christmas and one of the analog dates is Xmas 1990. I went through the analog dates on CPC for Dec 10 next weekend and looked at BOS snowfall within 5 days of those dates and here is what I came up with:

12/21/70....18.6"

12/1/04......Trace

12/25/90....1.2" (a lot more interior)

12/19/92....Trace

12/15/71....3.7"

12/13/75....3.0" (over 15" more a few days later)

12/28/67....14.7"

12/24/04....7.2"

12/16/90....Trace

This suggests that this pattern despite overall being far from very cold still has a pretty decent shot to produce some type of event.

I actually talked to him about it in October, and he said that he's actually working on retiring soon so he didn't want to start anything new. I'm working with Aviles on tropical forcing stuff and subseasonal variation now

I figured that time would be coming soon for him. He did quite a bit of stratospheric work back in the days when you took notes with a chisel into bedrock. I wonder who will take over doing dynamics.

Despite some terrible analog dates centered around Dec 10th...there are snow chances. Even Dec 1990 had one right after Christmas and one of the analog dates is Xmas 1990. I went through the analog dates on CPC for Dec 10 next weekend and looked at BOS snowfall within 5 days of those dates and here is what I came up with:

12/21/70....18.6"

12/1/04......Trace

12/19/92....Trace

12/15/71....3.7"

12/28/67....14.7"

12/24/04....7.2"

12/16/90....Trace

This suggests that this pattern despite overall being far from very cold still has a pretty decent shot to produce some type of event.

Nice work. Seems like 50/50 for something advisory or better Looks reasonable.

12/21/70....18.6"

12/1/04......Trace

12/19/92....Trace

12/15/71....3.7"

12/28/67....14.7"

12/24/04....7.2"

12/16/90....Trace

yeah there have consistently been some fine years in there the last few days from both the gfs and cmc ensembles in that period right around the 10th or so. just have to hope things break our way. might have to make hay while we can and then hope things shake up in the arctic later in the month.

Preliminaries through today... I'll do a more detailed stats breakdown in a few days so we can include some co-ops too...

BDL   BDR   BOS   PVD   ORH
---------------------------------------
Nov Dep    +4.1  +4.3  +5.8  +4.0  +6.5
Fall Avg   56.3  58.9  58.5  57.1  54.5
Fall Dep   +3.6  +3.4  +3.9  +3.1  +3.7
Fall Rank    1     1     1     1     1

This is impressive. From head to cold...just cold.

Blue means snow right? Yikes.

12/21/70....18.6"

12/1/04......Trace

12/19/92....Trace

12/15/71....3.7"

12/28/67....14.7"

12/24/04....7.2"

12/16/90....Trace

One point a weather friend made to me is that what's different this year is the vastness of the warmth. This isn't freak high temps with a passing storm or cold nights and warm days. This is bell to bell +10+ departures for days on end. We'll find out if his thought is right which is that this winter is in a handbackset on it's way to Rhode Island.

Preliminaries through today... I'll do a more detailed stats breakdown in a few days so we can include some co-ops too...

Fall Rank    1 	1 	1 	1 	1

I wonder what the odds were for a record warm & record snowy SON.

Fall Rank    1     1     1     1     1

Makes Summer 2010 look pathetic

I think this pattern is going to go straigh til mid to late Feb and then March will be decent and April cold and wet...Maybe it is good we got the Oct storm

Thanks blizzard24.. I can now sleep tonight... can you send me the link of the model that shows an hour 2,160 so I have it for next year?

The WINDEX checklist is marginal for Friday night...so we may see some snow showers with the passage of that vortmax.

The lapse rates are a bit marginal...but the LI spike is large and there is some low level moisture.

We'll want the more amped up shortwave solution like the Euro/UK versus the tamer GFS...this will help with the lapse rates. Given the marginal setup, we'll likely struggle to get more than flurries or a snow shower instead of a line of squalls. But in this horrifically boring pattern, its at least something to watch.

Fall Rank    1 	1 	1 	1 	1

That's pretty telling right there... do you mind running BTV, MVL, and MPV for the same info? I'm curious how we fared up here over the "fall" season.

Archived