• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December moving forward...pattern disco

weathafella

I think HM alluded to this, but the 10mb temp anomalies and 50mb temp anomalies have shown a little more positive numbers in the last 24 hrs. That may be the descending -QBO wave doing its work, but it is really too early to say. Any effects usually take a long time to play out, but something to keep an eye on.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think HM alluded to this, but the 10mb temp anomalies and 50mb temp anomalies have shown a little more positive numbers in the last 24 hrs. That may be the descending -QBO wave doing its work, but it is really too early to say. Any effects usually take a long time to play out, but something to keep an eye on.

Hey Sam do I have that right? In your mind, what how would the downwelling wave warm the stratosphere? Disturbing the vortex or BD type circulation?

The Euro ensembles are slightly better...but I think there is still an implied torch on the horizon after Dec 15 or so. I like Phils Dec 9-15 period for possibly getting something in here...mostly likely a SWFE since its a gradient looking pattern.

The flattening out of the AK ridge and more troughing on the WC implies that we go back to a torch pattern...we'll have to see...that part is a little ambiguous at the moment. We could try and stay closer to normal up here.

One small step for weenies...

The Euro ensembles are slightly better...but I think there is still an implied torch on the horizon after Dec 15 or so. I like Phils Dec 9-15 period for possibly getting something in here...mostly likely a SWFE since its a gradient looking pattern.

The flattening out of the AK ridge and more troughing on the WC implies that we go back to a torch pattern...we'll have to see...that part is a little ambiguous at the moment. We could try and stay closer to normal up here.

It looks like it could muster a SWFE, but agreed on the post 15th description. Maybe we can get some sort of a compromise with the GEFS. I'm not sure if the EC is too aggressive in lowering heights in AK, but it is also the better ensemble statistically. Of course, it doesn't mean it is more correct, but they are pretty good for a 11-15 day window.

Will, Was that at the end of the run that it shows that? Thanks

Will, Was that at the end of the run that it shows that? Thanks

Yes...it starts flattening out around D12-15 on the ensembles...its not extreme so there is probably some uncertainty in the ensembles, but if we do return to lower height anomalies over AK with the way the Atlantic is, then that means:

flamethrower5.jpg

Yes...it starts flattening out around D12-15 on the ensembles...its not extreme so there is probably some uncertainty in the ensembles, but if we do return to lower height anomalies over AK with the way the Atlantic is, then that means:

flamethrower5.jpg

Better at the end of the run then the next 7 days..

CPC on board for some major cooling in the east. LOL

FORECAST CONFIDENCE FOR THE 8-14 DAY PERIOD IS: BELOW AVERAGE, 2 ON A SCALE OF

1 TO 5, DUE TO POOR AGREEMENT BETWEEN TELECONNECTIONS FROM THE FORECAST RIDGE

IN THE EASTERN PACIFIC OCEAN AND TELECONNECTIONS FROM THE RIDGE FORECAST IN THE

NORTHERN ATLANTIC OCEAN.

FORECAST CONFIDENCE FOR THE 8-14 DAY PERIOD IS: BELOW AVERAGE, 2 ON A SCALE OF

1 TO 5, DUE TO POOR AGREEMENT BETWEEN TELECONNECTIONS FROM THE FORECAST RIDGE

IN THE EASTERN PACIFIC OCEAN AND TELECONNECTIONS FROM THE RIDGE FORECAST IN THE

NORTHERN ATLANTIC OCEAN.

Yes but that doesn't mean it could only be colder....can also assume they may not be warm enough in that period of time. In the last few weeks none of the forecasts have been warm enough at this range.

Hey Sam do I have that right? In your mind, what how would the downwelling wave warm the stratosphere? Disturbing the vortex or BD type circulation?

Yeah, I mentioned that also yesterday; that the Euro is showing some warming around 10mb later next week, with the vortex becoming a little less symmetric. I think this projected warming is a response to a mountain torque event, so the vertically propagating wave disturbs the polar vortex. In general though, yeah the easterly QBO wave is now descending at a good clip, and the November QBO should come in <-5m/s. This will tend to promote a warmer upper stratosphere, making it easier for the PV to become disturbed.

Yeah, I mentioned that also yesterday; that the Euro is showing some warming around 10mb later next week, with the vortex becoming a little less symmetric. I think this projected warming is a response to a mountain torque event, so the vertically propagating wave disturbs the polar vortex. In general though, yeah the easterly QBO wave is now descending at a good clip, and the November QBO should come in <-5m/s. This will tend to promote a warmer upper stratosphere, making it easier for the PV to become disturbed.

What's the typical lag time for something like that to positively influce our inferno?

2695.jpg

Not to get OT, but have you done any stratospheric research with Koermer yet?

Archived