joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We picked up a couple tenths of an inch of snow earlier, but it looked like it was going to change over to something else around 5:15 P.M., so I collected that as the front end snow portion for the event. However, it is really dumping out there now, inch an hour type snow, so there will be a bit more to report. There is a huge blob of red echoes headed this way though, and it’s hard to imagine that’s snow:

27DEC11A.gif

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.33” L.E.

The snow came down quite hard until about 7:30 P.M., at which point sleet started to mix in. That continued, with snow mixing in at times, until around 8:30 P.M. when it seemed to be mostly liquid. So I’m calling 8:30 P.M. the cutoff time for the front end frozen portion of the event at this location. That front end provided a third of an inch of water as frozen material, which will hopefully represent a good chunk of the liquid for the event. Our NWS point forecast is calling for another tenth to quarter inch of liquid tonight, and then 2 to 5 inches of snow on the back end starting tomorrow:

Tonight: Rain, mainly before midnight, then a chance of drizzle. Patchy fog after 1am. Low around 34. East wind 6 to 8 mph becoming south. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Wednesday: Rain and snow showers likely before 11am, then occasional snow showers. Temperature falling to around 21 by 5pm. Breezy, with a west wind between 14 and 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Occasional snow showers, mainly before 10pm. Low around 1. Wind chill values as low as -14. Northwest wind between 14 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

This may not be the ultimate pattern for snowfall, but clearly something changed around mid month because accumulating snowfall events have been hitting us pretty frequently. In fact, over the past 10 days the storms have been coming at a rather fervent pace of one every other day – there have been storms on the 17th, 19th, 21st, 23rd, 25th, and now the 27th as indicated in the signature below. If the potential clippers were to come through on Thursday the 29th and Saturday the 31st, that would continue the trend. Although we haven’t had many huge storms, 14 accumulating snowstorms as of Dec 27th is actually a decent pace that is better than average based on my data from the past five seasons.

Well, it actually wasn't too bad here. Picked up a half-inch of sleety slush at the outset of precip and even when it went over to straight rain, much of it fell at 32.5--33 degrees. Ended up with 0.62" of liquid (now at a whooping 51.80" for since 1/1/11) and still have 3" at the stake.

The south winds kicked up right before I hit the sack for the night. One last glance at the thermometer showed a spike up to 38 and it hit 40 sometime overnight but now already back down to 34.

Let's pick up some backside later today and heres to a nice clipper come Friday! :snowing:

If the radar is correct, Sugarloaf might end with a net gain even out of the front end of this storm!

I worked at the 'Loaf for a few winters back in the mid/late 90s and I can remember several inland runners where we actually ended up with a net gain of snow...at least on the mountain itself. It would start as some sleety snow, turn over to rain, wash some snow away and then the backside ended up being quite fruitful snow-wise and our snowdepth would actually be more than before the event started....

Now that I think about it, I've seen that sort of thing happen here too.... Just gotta get through those hours of suckage. ;)

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.75” L.E.

The rain gauge contained 0.75” of liquid this morning, so the event thus far has come in as 0.33” frozen and 0.42” liquid. The snow at the back yard stake has consolidated a couple of inches, but there’s a lot of liquid in there now so when it freezes up it should be good base material for the slopes as adk mentioned earlier in the thread. Snow is visible on the radar off to our west in Northern New York; BTV NWS suggests it should be into Vermont by later this morning:

28DEC11A.gif

Some details from the 7:30 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.75 inches

Temperature: 36.9 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

36 here and it just started snowing.

I figured it wouldn’t be too long before the snow came in when I saw your post. We had a few sprinkles earlier, but as of ~8:45 A.M. we’ve got snow falling. It’s generally light, but more substantial at times with flakes up to ¾” in diameter.

Archived