• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

was like watching the tide today, clouds would sink down the range to 2000' and then lift back up to 3300' or so, on and off flakes, no accum.

wind scoured fields the order in the valley here

IMG_2704.jpg

Jay brook at 1500', pic doesn't do the green justice, its fully iced over at 1800'

IMG_2707.jpg

good snow depth numbers PF. putzed around up to 2900' today, 15" average. better kick and glide than shuss.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL. Solid looking westerly flow upslope/Great Lakes moisture snows, followed by classic NW flow, strong H85 CAA with moist low levels, heavy snows.

Someone (western side, eastern side, immediate spine, north, south, etc) is going to get smoked if this goes close to progged.

9 hours later

6 hours later

6 hours later

Point 'n click out of BTV for 800ft el grid point in Stowe village, showing some potential...

Sunday Night: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Southwest wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Monday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Monday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Question for a met (or anyone else who may know): What are PWM's snow futility records for Dec., Jan., and the season as a whole? I've searched the climate info on the GYX site, along with other online sources, and haven't found anything.

It's a little clunky, but we have a month by month break down under the Portland section. They will link to Excel files.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/gyx/climate_f6.shtml

Yeah a little mix would be good though to add some more substance to the snowpack. We're getting there. Today was the first day I was making turns in the high elevation woods. 20-24" snow depth up high with the bottom foot being rock solid and the top foot fluffy. What I'd really like is a good ol' sleet storm and then this snow base would be bomber.
I feel like - well until your post- that I'm the only person excited for some mixed precip. We need a base. 12 hours above freezing at marginal 34-36 degrees with some snow/sleet/zr mixed in is what we need to lock these 24 down. We've gotten "inches" but it's very fluffy and needs some liquid beef.

Not that an inch or two of liquid equivalent in the form of dense snow wouldn’t do it as well, but some mixed precipitation would be fine; adk mentioned how that would work out for the recent cutter system and it actually came together quite well. There’s enough natural snow down now that it can even take on another round of rain for a net gain in the snowpack if need be (although it doesn’t sound like there are any big shots of rain in the forecast). If the potential upslope comes to fruition in the coming days, that would be excellent atop some additional consolidation. Bolton has been opening various sections of natural terrain in the past couple of days; it’s just that not all of that terrain is to the point where it can hold up to a ton of traffic yet. Fortunately, with only standard speed lifts, it’s not getting hit as hard as it might, but another inch or two of liquid equivalent will have most moderate angle terrain safely in the game. Even down at Bolton’s main base elevation (2,100’) though, there’s a good 8 to 12 inches of powder atop the consolidated base, so some mighty fine skiing can be found on appropriate terrain right now. I’ve added a couple shots from today at Bolton below:

30DEC11B.jpg

30DEC11C.jpg

My daily NWS report... no mixed here so far. Snow is still fluffy to walk through at the base. BTV folks seem to love these reports.

Stowe Mountain Resort

Mountain Operations Center

Stowe, VT Lamoille County

1,550ft elevation

Time of measurement: 5:30am

12 Hour Snowfall: 0.4"

24 Hour Snowfall: 1.7"

Notes: No mixed precipitation noted in the new snow under close examination. Overnight groomers report no IP or ZR, however they are just beginning to get freezing fog/mist that's starting to cause a light glaze on groomer windshields.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Mansfield co-op reported 1.5" yesterday through 4pm, so the summit is probably at or over 2". I called it 1-2" on this morning's report because I doubt its over 2.5".

Upslope still looking good... this is classic point 'n click upslope gold, haha.

Sunday Night: A chance of snow showers and sleet before 8pm, then snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Windy, with a south wind around 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Monday: Snow showers likely, mainly after 5pm. Cloudy, with a high near 27. Windy, with a southwest wind 31 to 34 mph decreasing to between 22 and 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Monday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly before 7pm. Cloudy, with a low around 2. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Tuesday: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 2. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Band of showers just moved through...

Bright banding on radar is from absolutely massive aggregates (like pancake sized flakes) above roughly 2,700ft. Rain/snow line has been oscillating between 2.5K and 3K feet late this morning. We are 32F up top and 35F at 1,500ft.

It was snowing pretty hard on the upper mountain there for a time which was nice to see, however, definitely bleaker down here at the base with fog and light rain.

Yesterday's morning snow is now all gone. Sitting at 38F under partly cloudy skies with not a patch of snow not even in the woods! Pretty unusual for my elevation and latitude.. Looking forward to the cold shot. If we can get an inch or two on the ground first it will help out our minimums. Useless cold but will help the ponds firm up for the ice fisherman.

Hope all you C/NNElanders have a nice New Year!

Gene

Great call by GYX on the black ice overnight... I see that have an SPS out as of 8pm yesterday evening. I just sent a report into BTV as the road above 1,000ft is an ice skating rink.

I noticed some decent black ice on RT 108 above 1,000ft on my drive into work this morning, enough to engage ABS and cause drifting on corners. Road just looked wet but its very slick in the higher elevations.

We are at 31.6F up here with a freezing fog/mist (1,500ft)

Our parking lots, railings, and work vehicles are all iced over up at 1,500ft. With that said, I had 32F at my house at 800ft and did not have any ice on my truck, but everything is all locked up a bit higher up the road.

Snowfall totals at the ski area for December 2011 were lackluster compared to the 60+ inches we are used to at the summit. In general I expect between 60-80" during the main winter months up top, with the big months exceeding 100", and well, the poor months around 40".

1,550ft... 24"

3,600ft... 39"

Total snowfall so far during the operating season (11/23 onward) is just depressing...

1,550ft... 33"

3,600ft... 51"

Snowfall totals at the ski area for December 2011 were lackluster compared to the 60+ inches we are used to at the summit. In general I expect between 60-80" during the main winter months up top, with the big months exceeding 100", and well, the poor months around 40".

1,550ft... 24"

3,600ft... 39"

Total snowfall so far during the operating season (11/23 onward) is just depressing...

1,550ft... 33"

3,600ft... 51"

Thanks for the update PF. Now that December is complete, I put my numbers together as well – below is the chart of snowfall here for the past six Decembers since we moved to this location:

0611decembersnowfall.jpg

The average I have for December snowfall here is 41.6 ± 18.2 inches, and from the chart it is immediately apparent that December 2011 (red bar) is on the low side of the spectrum. However, at least based on my current data set, the 24.7 inches of snow this December is actually within one standard deviation of the mean, so it’s not overly anomalous. From the data one can also see that December 2011 beat out December 2006 (for which the snowfall is outside of one standard deviation). So December 2006 is still in a class by itself.

Some other notes on the current snowfall up to this point in the season:

1. Using my 2006-2011 data, the mean snowfall here through December 31st is 51.3 ± 25.3 inches, and for this season the snowfall for that period comes in at 37.3 inches (72.7% of average), which is well within one standard deviation.
  2. Thanks to these two recent storms though, we have made a big jump in snowfall since Christmas, when we were only at 53.1% of average for snowfall.
  3. You might find it interesting to note that we are not only ahead of the 2006-2007 season for snowfall (21.9 inches of snow as of Dec 31) but we are even ahead of the 2009-2010 season for snowfall (35.7 inches of snow as of Dec 31).

With regard to #3 above, both of those seasons were poor for overall snowfall around here, but 2009-2010 (which I believe was best characterized by many big storms being suppressed?) was far worse than 2006-2007 (which one might characterize with warmth like this current season?). Anyway, it’s like you’ve said before, I think we’d much rather take our chances being in the storm pipeline, even if it means some warmth, vs. missing out on the storms altogether. With the Green Mountains around, they will usually find a way to make it snow if there is moisture around – I think the snowfall derived from the December 27th-28th cutter system is a testament to that. I’ve added my Waterbury snowfall data table below for seasonal reference:

Waterburywxsummarytable.jpg

All rain now :( (maybe zr)

After I posted this it actually flipped back to snow once the intensity picked up giving .5" followed by rain then another .25". That was 12/27 - 28.

Then yesterday morning there was .5" before the rain again.

Current snow pack is around 2" at 2300' and 6-8" above 3000'. I haven't been above 3500' in a few days.

Neither rain storm was terribly damaging because it was cold and not much rain fell, but we haven't seen much snow either.

Archived