joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skinned bolton this morning. Slushy 1.5 inches maybe. 35-36 at the base and about 32 at the top. Was def. a "upslope" cloud around the top of the hill. Really not going to be shocked if as this front comes through and snow growth temps improve we see some REALLY fast accumulations of fluffy dendrite snow.

It is dumping at the base of Stowe now..

1zxfrc.jpg

Nice!! Glad you're up here enjoying this... but I make no promises on the actual snow conditions right now, lol.

This is just a textbook upslope radar... wow. I'm off from the Mountain today but just sitting in town now watching it snow out my window.

I haven't been outside but we definitely made it through with at least 4-5" of snow cover on the ground judging by whats on the top of the picnic table.

Nice!! Glad you're up here enjoying this... but I make no promises on the actual snow conditions right now, lol.

This is just a textbook upslope radar... wow. I'm off from the Mountain today but just sitting in town now watching it snow out my window.

I haven't been outside but we definitely made it through with at least 4-5" of snow cover on the ground judging by whats on the top of the picnic table.

Yes that's a radar I like to see. Clouds over Champlain from my office are also classic upslope clouds. Low, grey and slow moving. Nice w/nw wind building as well.

Waiting for the 12z BTV WRF to come out. the 0z high res WRF run by NCEP had the classic upslope 3-8 inch signature this morning.

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.85” L.E.

It’s nice to be home for this after being out of town for much of the last upslope event; just when PF was talking about how it was starting to accumulate at 800’, things kicked in here at 500’ as well. Steady moderate to heavy snow is falling with big flakes in the 10-25 mm range. We picked up 0.07” of liquid this morning as non-accumulating snow, but now that the temperature has dropped, as of noon we’ve picked up 0.03” of additional liquid as 0.9” of snow. It’s really coming down out there and there’s already another 0.9” on the board as 12:30 P.M., so that’s close to 2”/hr. The 30 db echoes on the BTV Composite Radar speak to that. I bet the mountains are getting blitzed:

28DEC11B.gif

Some details from the 12:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Moderate/Heavy Snow (10-25 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

I just noticed that Bolton Valley has a nice live action HD web cam on their updated website – that’s at around 2,150’ elevation on the western slopes of the Northern Greens, so a good one for the web cam list:

http://www.boltonvalley.com/webcam

You can definitely see the pounding snow right now – I wasn’t thinking of heading up until tomorrow, but I’m going to start getting thoughts like Powderfreak if this heavy snow keeps up.

Vt upslope is all we got

Yeah those web cams look about right, lol.

IMO this is where the Greens really separate themselves from other mountain areas of the northeast. There's a reason annual snowfall amounts even in the low lands of 300-1,000ft average 100-150" a year with the peaks 300" or more. Even in bad winters we can pull snow out of our arse as we've had at least some accumulating snows like almost daily for like the past week.

Full on white-out and blizzard conditions up at the ski resort... clocking near 50mph gusts in heavy snow even down to the base area at 1,500ft. Holy sh*t this is wild.

Yeah, it must be rippin' - I just got the word from the Bolton Valley Facebook Page that the Vista Quad is now on wind hold, so they're running on the lower mountain lifts - could mean good powder up top when they open though.

Down at lower elevations such as here in town, the snow is actually able to land on the ground due to significantly lower winds, and its much more picturesque on the trees and stuff:

Its amazing though as up at the mountain we aren't even going to have to plow the parking lots, lol... the wind is just sand-blasting the snow off the parking lots and cars. Much different from Sunday's event where the snow fell straight down and stacked up high. The wind will definitely impact accumulations during this as these big upslope flakes are getting shattered and destroyed at the surface. Not going to have a lot of loft in this stuff.

BTV pulls the trigger on the Advisory. 4" in Richmond, VT in 3 hours.

WWUS41 KBTV 281913

WSWBTV

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

213 PM EST WED DEC 28 2011

NYZ029>031-VTZ003-006-008-016>018-290600-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0020.111228T1913Z-111229T0600Z/

/O.CON.KBTV.WC.Y.0003.111229T0000Z-111229T1200Z/

SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON-

ORLEANS-LAMOILLE-WASHINGTON-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-

EASTERN ADDISON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STAR LAKE...SARANAC LAKE...

TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...NEWPORT...JOHNSON...STOWE...

MONTPELIER...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...

RIPTON

213 PM EST WED DEC 28 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY...

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING

TO 7 AM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON CONTINUES THE WIND

CHILL ADVISORY...FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 AM EST THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN ADIRONDACK MOUNTAINS...PARTS OF CENTRAL AND

NORTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS OF VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS AND ACCUMULATING SNOW SHOWERS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 7 INCHES BY LATE TONIGHT.

* WIND CHILL READINGS...15 TO 25 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.

* TIMING...FROM THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...THE COMBINATION OF TEMPERATURES NEAR ZERO AND GUSTY

NORTHWEST WINDS OF 10 TO 20 MPH...WILL CREATE WIND CHILL VALUES

BETWEEN 15 AND 25 DEGREES BELOW ZERO. IN ADDITION...SNOW AND

BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE VISIBILITIES BELOW 1 MILE AT TIMES.

I’ve been at the house and had the opportunity to take some intermediate snowfall measurements off the snowboard over the past couple of hours – the data are below and indicate snowfall rates of 1-2”/hr:

12:00 P.M.: 0.0”

12:30 P.M.: 0.9”

1:00 P.M.: 1.6”

1:30 P.M.: 2.4”

2:00 P.M.: 3.2”

2:30 P.M.: 4.1”

A couple of other noteworthy things with regard to the current storm:

1. The combined snow from the front end and back end of this system has now reached the half foot mark, and has actually surpassed the Christmas Day storm for this location.
  2. With this latest accumulation, the amount of snowfall recorded at this location in December 2006 (20.2”) has finally been surpassed, so December 2011 won’t go down as the least snowy in the records I have.

I think the Greens from I-89 southward are going to jackpot in this... Waterbury/Duxbury/Huntington/Starksboro/Fayston due to lake champlain moisture getting pushed into that area thanks to strong CAA on a NNW flow with good fetch from NW corner of Champlain to just south of BTV... lake moisture plus upslope equals double digit snowfall for someone in that area.

I’ve been at the house and had the opportunity to take some intermediate snowfall measurements off the snowboard over the past couple of hours – the data are below and indicate snowfall rates of 1-2”/hr:

12:00 P.M.: 0.0”

12:30 P.M.: 0.9”

1:00 P.M.: 1.6”

1:30 P.M.: 2.4”

2:00 P.M.: 3.2”

2:30 P.M.: 4.1”

A couple of other noteworthy things with regard to the current storm:

1. The combined snow from the front end and back end of this system has now reached the half foot mark, and has actually surpassed the Christmas Day storm for this location.
  2. With this latest accumulation, the amount of snowfall recorded at this location in December 2006 (20.2”) has finally been surpassed, so December 2011 won’t go down as the least snowy in the records I have.

Yeah we don't have nearly as much as that in Stowe village... not even close. We are still in the 1-2" range in the village. This is now transferring more to the west slopes and south of us along the Greens. We lucked out in the last event but I think J.Spin cleans up in this one.

Archived