joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody have any data wrt moisture content? With this wind the snow will likely end up in the woods.

I’ll run a liquid analysis when I do the 6:00 P.M. snowboard clearing, but judging by feel right now I’d go in the 6-8% H2O range down here with little to no wind. Flakes aren’t that big right now (2-5 mm diameter), thus it’s not coming in ultra light. The flakes may be getting shredded a bit up high in the wind even before they get down to us in line with what PF was saying. I updated the accumulation data with the 3:00 P.M. reading from the snowboard below, it’s definitely slowed down a bit around here:

12:00 P.M.: 0.0”

12:30 P.M.: 0.9”

1:00 P.M.: 1.6”

1:30 P.M.: 2.4”

2:00 P.M.: 3.2”

2:30 P.M.: 4.1”

3:00 P.M.: 4.5”

Looks beautiful out there but I can't imagine what's happening further south towards MRG/Fayston/waitsfield/Warren/STarksboro area...lots of 6-10" reports from friends. Lake effect upslope combo crushing that area.

Coastal I'm in Stowe. I live at 800 ft but I'm at my moonlighting job till 11 tonight at 1000 ft.

May i ask you knowledgeable weather people something? Why does NWS consistently and almost invariably totally miss these upslope events?

We've got a good 6-8" down at 1500' and counting. 18 degrees.

Sorta simple. Upslope generally only affects elevation. Say 2000ft and up. NWS forecasts for the people. people don't really live up above 2000ft. PF, Jspin, myself and others sorta maybe, just a touch care about making the schuss. So we look more at what's it is going to do above 2000ft. That and if you don't really know what you are looking for, you'll miss the signature of an upslope event.

Looks beautiful out there but I can't imagine what's happening further south towards MRG/Fayston/waitsfield/Warren/STarksboro area...lots of 6-10" reports from friends. Lake effect upslope combo crushing that area.

Coastal I'm in Stowe. I live at 800 ft but I'm at my moonlighting job till 11 tonight at 1000 ft.

Im at 1500' near the base of lincoln peak. We have at least a foot and im being conservative. Best guess is 14-16". My understanding is there is another 6" or so up on the mtn judging by reports of what was down at the end of the ski day.

Light medium size flakes now at 15F.

Event totals: 7.6” Snow/1.19” L.E.

I headed up to Bolton for a couple of runs this afternoon, and there was certainly inch per hour snowfall up there with some brisk winds. At a wind-sheltered spot at mid mountain (2,500’) my best estimate would be 7 inches of accumulation as of ~4:45 P.M. I hiked up for a few turns above mid mountain, and in wind sheltered spots folks are going to have a lot of fun tomorrow. I could see from Route 2 that there was backed up traffic on I-89 in the northbound lane due to the closure, but it was moving better when I was on my way back home. Down here at the house I found 5.7 inches of new snow on the snowboard, representing the snowfall during the 12:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. collection period. Relative to mid afternoon, the snow is definitely getting fluffier now, with somewhat larger flakes, so it’s not surprising that the overall density for the collection during the afternoon period came in at at 6.0% H2O, which was the lower range of my earlier estimate. I’d say the current snowfall is sub 6 % H2O stuff, probably in the range of 4 or 5% H2O. The radar still shows the moisture stacked up against the Greens, and we’ve picked up another 0.5 inches since the 6:00 P.M. snowboard clearing.

28DEC11C.gif

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 5.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.34 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.8

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 17.6 F

Sky: Snow (5-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Powder and jspin.... What town do you guys live in? Jspin what is your elevation?

Coastal, I’m at elevation 495’ in Waterbury as others mentioned, near the Waterbury/Bolton line. There’s a map of my rough location in my signature, and more detailed information about our location on our web page:

http://jandeproductions.com/location/

http://jandeproducti...m/snowfall.html

Sorta simple. Upslope generally only affects elevation. Say 2000ft and up. NWS forecasts for the people. people don't really live up above 2000ft. PF, Jspin, myself and others sorta maybe, just a touch care about making the schuss. So we look more at what's it is going to do above 2000ft. That and if you don't really know what you are looking for, you'll miss the signature of an upslope event.

Thanks. I follow your predictions and cant thank you enough. I understand nws' target audience but i would think they would just mention the possibilities. Whatever, ive spent quite a few epic days in thigh deep powder after btv predicted 2-4". Keeps the crowds away. Oh and its snowing harder again.

Im at 1500' near the base of lincoln peak. We have at least a foot and im being conservative. Best guess is 14-16". My understanding is there is another 6" or so up on the mtn judging by reports of what was down at the end of the ski day. Light medium size flakes now at 15F.

The evening snow reports list from the BTV NWS (below) certainly shows the pounding that is going on down in Addison County, in line with what Powderfreak talked about earlier. We’ve had well over an inch of new liquid equivalent incorporated into the snowpack down here in the valley from this event, and with the consolidated base put together by the front and middle of this storm, we could be looking at some natural terrain openings depending on how the snowfall and winds play out tonight. Although an all-snow event would have been great, adk did talk about how nicely this storm could potentially play out, even in “cutter” form.

NOUS41 KBTV 290010
PNSBTV
NYZ026>031-034-035-087-VTZ001>012-016>019-291210-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
710 PM EST WED DEC 28 2011

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 6
HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION
IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE AND COCORAHS
OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS
SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION		  STORM TOTAL	 TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
				 SNOWFALL		   OF
				 /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT
VERMONT

...ADDISON COUNTY...
  LINCOLN			   11.5   621 PM 12/28  VIA FACEBOOK
  1 E SOUTH STARKSBORO  11.0   548 PM 12/28  TRAINED SPOTTER
  SOUTH STARKSBORO	   9.0   400 PM 12/28  VIA FACEBOOK
  STARKSBORO			 7.0   443 PM 12/28  1600FT ELEV.
  BRISTOL				5.0   500 PM 12/28  PUBLIC

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...
  1 ENE NORTH UNDERHIL   6.0   550 PM 12/28  NWS EMPLOYEE
  UNDERHILL			  6.0   639 PM 12/28  VIA FACEBOOK
  JONESVILLE			 5.5   500 PM 12/28  NWS EMPLOYEE
  1 SSW UNDERHILL		4.0   402 PM 12/28  TRAINED SPOTTER
  BOLTON				 4.0   450 PM 12/28  BOLTON VALLEY SKI AREA
  1 S ESSEX CENTER	   3.1   645 PM 12/28  NWS EMPLOYEE
  JERICHO				3.0   210 PM 12/28  PUBLIC
  2 NW WESTFORD		  2.9   318 PM 12/28  NWS EMPLOYEE
  RICHMOND			   2.0   205 PM 12/28  PUBLIC

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
  MONTGOMERY CENTER	  3.5   434 PM 12/28  PUBLIC
  ST. ALBANS			 3.5   630 PM 12/28  NWS EMPLOYEE

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...
  1 SSE SMUGGLERS NOTC   1.5   208 PM 12/28  STOWE MOUNTAIN RESORT

...ORLEANS COUNTY...
  JAY					4.0   435 PM 12/28  JAY PEAK

...RUTLAND COUNTY...
  3 WNW WEST BRIDGEWAT   4.4   317 PM 12/28  KILLINGTON RESORT

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...
  WATERBURY CENTER	   2.0   429 PM 12/28  PUBLIC

$$

LOCONTO

I love the reports guys. I'm definitely jealous. Lake Champlain effect snow FTW in Addison County especially. Only a light dusting from the upslope here in the Berkshires earlier today. Not like we get it that much compared to you guys anyway. If only I had a nice body of water like Lake Champlain just to my west...

Hmm...this gives me an idea. Perhaps we could build a massive dam to block the Hudson River near Poughkeepsie and create a large lake in the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys by flooding Albany and the surrounding environs. Now that would create some nice upslope snow here in the Berks and NW hills of CT.

I love the reports guys. I'm definitely jealous. Lake Champlain effect snow FTW in Addison County especially. Only a light dusting from the upslope here in the Berkshires earlier today. Not like we get it that much compared to you guys anyway. If only I had a nice body of water like Lake Champlain just to my west...

Hmm...this gives me an idea. Perhaps we could build a massive dam to block the Hudson River near Poughkeepsie and create a large lake in the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys by flooding Albany and the surrounding environs. Now that would create some nice upslope snow here in the Berks and NW hills of CT.

I am sure those folks would not mind making a sacrafice for there eastern brothers..lol

Or better yet we just bulldoze VT and turn it into a giant manmade lake.

1.3" so far in Williston,VT on my final night here before unfortunately having to go back south. Got in some good runs at Bolton valley on the 26th despite limited trails.

EDIT: Radar trends show the snows starting to cut off from west to east across VT now.

Archived