joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boston's "100-hr storm", biggest until 2/78. Farmington got 43" (for an amazing 84" snow depth), Long Falls Dam to the north 56", and Pinkham Notch 77" and something like 156" OG. Only 4" of slop in NNJ; our storm that month was the Lindsay storm on the 9th.

Steady ZR here, folks still sliding on sidewalks despite the salt-spreading. Headed home now, not looking forward to Mile Hill - hope the road crews have been diligent.

That was our highest single storm total here...

Still light ZR and 31 here. Drive home wasn't too bad except the last 7-8 miles, once I reached New Sharon. One SUV in the ditch on the north/downward side of Mile Hill, Industry Road fairly icy, and the 2,000' of gravel road was untreated wet ice. Normally I ride the side to avoid th potholes toward the middle, but tonight the shocks suffered as I wanted no part of the side-slopes away from the crown. Touched the brakes once (while going about 5 mph) and maintained speed. Not sure I could've stayed upright had I tried to walk on that stuff.

Looking better for a couple inches tomorrow night, kinda feeble for a normal Dec, but anything to make the ground white (and stay white) will be appreciated.

Never made it above 34F here today... dirt roads and parking lots are still really slick and frozen with puddles on top of ice. The dirt roads are especially treacherous... ABS engaged and slid through a stop sign on my way home tonight. Figured a bunch of hours of 33-34F would've taken care of the ice but apparently not.. currently 33/32. If we manage to slip below freezing and this water starts to really freeze up, could be icy tomorrow morning.

Ice skating rink out there this morning. Temps hovered around 32 / 33 all night long. On the way to the gym the truck temp hit 31 a few times. Slow going until it warms up later today. Hoping for an inch of snow up this way for the next system to at least whiten things up for Christmas. We'll see but I think a whiff up this way is just as likely.

highest I saw was 37F yesterday. square one again. poured here last night 33/34F all night.

getting to the point I don't mind the rain, but the damn fog, the fog I tell ya, friggin fog.

merry christmas all.

At least we didn't have a snowpack to get wiped out. I think that is more depressing than just not having snow. Local radio said there could be some light acumulation over the next couple of days, maybe 3 inches. At this point, I'm not even optimistic about that. :(

Yesterday's temp was 30/1, with 0.31" qpf, a few flakes morn then all ZR aft/eve, perhaps 0.15" accretion. Still 30 at 7 this morning with more clear than cloud, and a low-level inversion that had shrubs with intact ice and big drops falling from the taller trees. I was surprised to make it up my driveway without resorting to the ash bucket, though having the left-side wheels on the grass helped. Rest of the commute was messy but otherwise comparably tame.

AUG had 45 at noon, so nothing left on the sidewalks other than lots of rock salt. Morning forecast has MBY with perhaps 2"; I'd take the under (would be quite happy to lose, however), as I don't think enough precip makes it this far NW.

Colder air better start infiltrating soon. Still 46F.

LOL I was thinking the same thing... but maybe its starting. We were 43/34 an hour ago, now its 36/32 at MVL. I'm surprised the dews are still so high and that's concerning. Most of BTV's warning area is low to mid 30s for dew points so wet bulb isn't going to help at all. My fear is the clouds are moving in now, so we won't radiate and it'll end up snowing lightly into a warm boundary layer with struggling to accumulate.

I'm getting depressed reading the SNE thread and I'm getting concerned about my temp. where exactly is the cold air going to come from? 40 or so here.

Yeah, Mark, Toaster baths, Chair tipping and bridge jumping going on over there, I think some folks should take a break from the board its not healthy, Dropped 12F in a little over an hr....down to 32F

I’m not sure what the temperature was in Burlington when I left, but I’ve got a couple of updates from east of/in the Greens. At the Waterbury Park and Ride (~500’) a bit after 6:00 P.M. the temperature was 32 F, heading through the center of Waterbury soon after that, the temperature was fluctuating in the 33-34 F range, and when I was at the house around 6:15 P.M. the thermometer was reading 32.7 F. The trend has been downward in the past 15 minutes though, because it was just reading 32.2 F and now it’s 32.0 F. I’m not sure if this is just low-level cold, but hopefully it will help with any snow that falls around here.

29-30 here at present, so should be all snow and all accum, especially with h8 temps -5/-6C. GYX has foothills 1-3"; ch13 has MBY right on the line between 1-3" (to S & W) and 'coating to 2".' Some white would be right; saw a moth flying across the road as I got near home this aft, and that's NOT right for 12/22.

Archived