• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

I put together a few pictures below from yesterday at Stowe. It was really great to get that surprise snow – it wasn’t a huge dump, but I had some really nice powder turns on our first run off the quad, and at least on the top half of the mountain I found that the new snow really enhanced the conditions for a while. I’ve got the full report from yesterday at our website.

I was also just looking at the 12Z ECMWF, and saw that there were four upcoming chances for winter weather on there: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday/Monday. None looked huge, but that’s nice heading toward the holiday week. It sounds like the Wednesday event could be a bit messy though with regard to the frozen precipitation based on the BTV discussion.

17DEC11A.jpg

17DEC11C.jpg

17DEC11D.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put together a few pictures below from yesterday at Stowe. It was really great to get that surprise snow – it wasn’t a huge dump, but I had some really nice powder turns on our first run off the quad, and at least on the top half of the mountain I found that the new snow really enhanced the conditions for a while. I’ve got the full report from yesterday at our website.

I was also just looking at the 12Z ECMWF, and saw that there were four upcoming chances for winter weather on there: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday/Monday. None looked huge, but that’s nice heading toward the holiday week. It sounds like the Wednesday even could be a bit messy though with regard to the frozen precipitation based on the BTV discussion.

Looks like a decent period of upslope snow showers Monday after the fropa. The high builds in kind of quickly from the west, so it won't be very long in duration, but the parameters looks pretty good. At least for dendritic snow, rather than that heavily rimed stuff from a couple days ago.

And unfortunately for midweek, it does look warm aloft. Latest Euro bringing 0C at 850 mb all the way up into Quebec. At least it's hinting at more coastal redevelopment than say the GFS. So maybe we can salvage a complete washout for the Mountains.

I'd say we hit about 4 on the upper mountain by 11 am.

Was a blast to ski:

IMG_1978.jpg

That's an awesome photo.... you guys must've been skiing on rock though, no? Haha its better than the white ribbons of death but I did a little foray off the trail yesterday and 2-4" of 30:1 ratio snow does not make a great base, lol.

Also excellent photos, J.Spin! Really captures the day nicely.

Looks like a decent period of upslope snow showers Monday after the fropa. The high builds in kind of quickly from the west, so it won't be very long in duration, but the parameters looks pretty good. At least for dendritic snow, rather than that heavily rimed stuff from a couple days ago.

And unfortunately for midweek, it does look warm aloft. Latest Euro bringing 0C at 850 mb all the way up into Quebec. At least it's hinting at more coastal redevelopment than say the GFS. So maybe we can salvage a complete washout for the Mountains.

Unfortunitly, The mid week storm does look wetter for most up here, Maybe the mtns and NW Maine can salvage it If we get a faster transistion to a secondary off of SNE, But going forward looks like its going to be pretty active with some chances of some snow thru the holiday season

What is the base lodge El? 1500'??

Yeah that's the rough estimate... our Mountain Operations building sits right at like 1,550ft and the beginning of the parking lot is 1,500ft, upper lots are over 1,600ft.

This morning I've got 15F at 4,000ft...12F at 2,500ft (notorious mid elevation cold pocket)... and 15F at 1,550ft. Noticable warming trend at the summit over the last 12 hours ahead of the cold front. SW winds are building and this afternoon could get wild up here with a low level jet of 45-60kts moving through.

Awesome discussion to weenie out to from BTV, haha...

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AS OF 606 AM EST MONDAY...WIDE RANGE IN TEMPS THIS MORNING WITH

CRNT READINGS RANGING FROM NEAR 0F NEK TO L/M30S SLV. TEMPS WL

QUICKLY REBOUND THIS MORNING AS LLVL WAA AND SOUTHERLY WINDS

DEVELOP. GIVEN LARGE RANGE IN TEMPS...HOURLY GRIDS WL BE DIFFICULT

TO CAPTURE TRENDS...BUT HIGHS THIS AFTN WL RANGE BTWN M30S NEK TO

L40S CPV/SLV. STILL EXPECT SOME SCATTERED RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS THIS

AFTN...CHANGING TO ALL SNOW SHOWERS THIS EVENING WITH SOME

ACCUMULATION ANTICIPATED IN THE MTNS. MIXED PRECIP CHANGING TO ALL

SNOW...ALONG WITH FALLING TEMPS...COULD RESULT IN A SLIPPERY

EVENING COMMUTE.

WATER VAPOR CONTS TO SHOW SPLIT FLW ACRS THE CONUS WITH NORTH JET

NEAR THE INTERNATIONAL BORDER AND SOUTHERN STREAM AND ASSOCIATED

POTENT SYSTEM NEAR THE MEXICO/US BORDER. GIVEN THE FAST WESTERLY

JET ACRS THE NE CONUS...EXPECT CHANGEABLE WX OVER OUR FA IN THE

NEXT 24 HRS...WITH SOME BIG SWINGS IN TEMPS. TODAY...SFC LOW PRES

WL TRACK ACRS THE NORTHERN GREAT LAKES AND INTO CENTRAL

CANADA...AND PUSH A WARM FRNT THRU OUR CWA. THIS FRNT WL BE

ACCOMPANIED BY A RIBBON OF 850 TO 500MB RH...ALONG WITH SOME VERY

WEAK 700 TO 500MB UVVS...AND SOME 850 TO 500MB Q-VECTOR

CONVERGENCE...ESPECIALLY BTWN 12-15Z TODAY. THIS ENERGY/MOISTURE

MAY PRODUCE A FEW SCATTERED RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS ACRS OUR

REGION...WITH BEST POTENTIAL ACRS NORTHERN NY/VT THIS MORNING.

OTHERWISE...925MB TO 850MB JET OF 45 TO 60 KNOTS LIFTS ACRS OUR

CWA THIS MORNING. THIS JET COMBINED WITH SOME MIXING PER LATEST

SOUNDINGS AND EFFECTS OF CHANNELING UP THE SLV/CPV WL SUPPORT WIND

GUSTS BTWN 30 AND 40 MPH TODAY. GREATEST WINDS WL BE ACRS THE

CPV/SLV AND OVER THE EXPOSED HIGHER TRRN ABOVE 2000 FT.

BY 18Z TODAY...1000 TO 700MB RH INCREASES ACRS NORTHERN NY/SLV AHEAD

OF SFC COLD FRNT...ALONG WITH A RIBBON OF ENHANCED LIFT. THE

COMBINATION OF SOME MOISTURE AND DEVELOPING UPSLOPE FLW BEHIND SFC

COLD FRNT WL PRODUCE A PERIOD OF SNOW SHOWERS ACRS THE NORTHERN

DACKS/GREEN MTNS LATE THIS AFTN/EVENING. LOCAL BTV 4KM AND 12KM NAM

BOTH SHOW QPF AROUND 0.25" IN THE FAVORABLE UPSLOPE REGIONS OF THE

GREENS/DACKS...WHICH WL RESULT IN SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF SEVERAL

INCHES. WL MENTION LIKELY TO CAT POPS LATE THIS AFTN/EVENING FOR

UPSLOPE REGIONS...BUT ONLY CHC POPS FOR CPV/SLV AS LLVLS REMAIN VERY

DRY AND BEST MOISTURE ARRIVES WHILE SFC TO 850MB WINDS ARE FROM THE

SW...WHICH WL PRODUCE SOME DOWNSLOPE SHADOWING OFF THE DACKS ACRS

THE CPV. A BRIEF SNOW SHOWER WITH A DUSTING OF SNOW WL BE POSSIBLE

THIS EVENING ACRS THE CPV AS WINDS SHIFT TO THE NORTHWEST AND SOME

LLVL CONVERGENCE OCCURS...BUT DEEP LAYER MOISTURE QUICKLY DECREASES

BY 06Z. SOUNDINGS SHOW LIMITED DEEP LAYER MOISTURE AND NO RH IN THE

SNOW GROWTH REGION AFT 06Z ACRS OUR CWA...THEREFORE WL MENTION JUST

FLURRIES...EVEN ACRS THE MTNS AS SFC HIGH PRES BUILDS INTO OUR CWA.

TEMPS TODAY WL RANGE FROM THE M30S NEK/MTNS TO L40S

SLV/CPV...ASSOCIATED WITH GUSTY SOUTHERLY WINDS. TONIGHT...TEMPS

SHOULD DROP BACK INTO THE UPPER SINGLE DIGITS SLK TO L20S VSF.

-- End Changed Discussion --

Warmer air coming in ahead of the front, I reckon. Temps were plunging here last night and got down to 4F by the time I hit the rack. Thought for sure we'd reach zero...but I got up around 3am to feed the woodstove and it was up to 7F and now 10F and still climbing.

Doesn't look real promising mid-week, I gather. Shame!

BTV WRF model showing how localized we can expect the snow in a 12 hour period later today.

This would imply several inches at work and a dusting at home a few miles down the road. J.Spin is smack in the middle of the 0.25-0.5 QPF where it goes down the spine so he may do well (not all that surprising, lol). Note Jay Peak up there with 0.5-0.75" of QPF... that would be pretty nuts given good snow growth and falling in like an 8 hour period.

Thanks for the discussion highlights PF; it should be fun to see how it plays out. As I was setting up a new text file and putting in the date for logging this next potential snow event, I realized that it’s actually only been two days since our last snowfall. It would be nice for the slopes to get into one of those regimes where the Greens provide a little something every couple of days; even though they aren’t typically blockbusters, that positive reinforcement would be great for the snowpack. If Mother Nature should want to sprinkle any bigger snow events in there that would of course be OK as well.

BTV WRF model showing how localized we can expect the snow in a 12 hour period later today.

This would imply several inches at work and a dusting at home a few miles down the road. J.Spin is smack in the middle of the 0.25-0.5 QPF where it goes down the spine so he may do well (not all that surprising, lol). Note Jay Peak up there with 0.5-0.75" of QPF... that would be pretty nuts given good snow growth and falling in like an 8 hour period.

I took a look at the 3-hour BTV WRF intervals and you can watch the precipitation walk right down the spine from 2100 hrs today through 0900 hrs tomorrow (is that all in Z, so 4:00 P.M. today through 4:00 A.M. tomorrow?). Anyway, that would be pretty decent timing for Tuesday morning turns.

I took a look at the 3-hour BTV WRF intervals and you can watch the precipitation walk right down the spine from 2100 hrs today through 0900 hrs tomorrow (is that all in Z, so 4:00 P.M. today through 4:00 A.M. tomorrow?). Anyway, that would be pretty decent timing for Tuesday morning turns.

A couple flurries falling now. And yeah it looks promising for a period of snow later this evening. I really love those timings so when I get up at 4am its just winding down and I can get a good measurement for the early reports.

This is how it happens. ADK and VT are warm, no snow, then a few weak fronts later 12 inches of fluff have fallen over an ice base and boom it's in.

This looks like a classic case of orographic enhancement on a westerly flow. Honestly I think the High Peaks could see 8+ with Mansfied and Jay getting into the 5-6 range pretty easily given the fluff factor.

Pf- do you get much snow transport high on mansfield? Does it blow from the eastern side and deposit along the high gullies on the western side?

Honestly I hope we DO warm up midweek with song LIGHT rain because this is FLUFFY snow that needs some compaction. I like powder as much as the next dude, but i don't feel like buying any more effing ptex

I'm definitely interested on Xmas, but I'm not in 24/7 model mode yet. There's a good chance it comes in more amped up with time. I kinda like where I sit on the 00z Euro for deformation snows again.

Yesterday's low hit 9.2F before midnight. It continued to slowly fall to 7.7F this morning. 20.5F at this moment with BKN skies.

Let's reminisce about the most extreme hailstorm ever to come at me and obliterate all I hold dear. I'm centered under the alarming purple pixel when this radar stops.

post-18-0-40013100-1324237622.gif

post-18-0-65478400-1311769562.jpg

post-18-0-42333300-1311737984.jpg

Before/After

post-18-0-80889500-1311769567.jpg

post-18-0-28542300-1311769550.jpg

You all thought you were safe from my tropical garden photos in the winter amirite?

omg, that is just so sad...brings a tear to my eye... :(

Was 2F when I left MBY this morning, but had been a bit subzero earlier. Yesterday I recorded 19/3, the low at 9 PM after a morning min about 6F. That's about 10F below my 13-yr smoothed avg for 12/18, first time this month I've been more than a degree or two sub-normal. However, its now over a week longer into Dec without measurable snow in the month than in any other Dec here. Expected to see Long Pond in Belgrade frozen this morning, but only the sheltered edges had ice and there was a small chop on the pond - that breeze probably caused the dawn bounce in my temp. Farther north, the much larger Flagstaff Lake appeared fully iced over last Tuesday.

06 gfs has 6-8" storm Christmas morning. Would be nice, especially if it's out of here by noon, as we plan to drive to Topsham early aft, then head west toward Illinois after visiting my wife's dad. Driving in snow plus moonless dark isn't my favorite.

Anybody else the least bit interested in an xmas nor'easter?

Certainly, especially due to the potential impacts on the resorts for the upcoming holiday week. Depending on how this week’s winter weather events play out, there could be some compacted natural base in place on the slopes like you alluded to in your earlier post. If a substantial Nor’easter with 1+” of liquid equivalent hit on top of that, it would likely mean at least some natural snow terrain openings, and that would be very big for the holiday week. We’re still several days out from the potential event, which tempers things a bit, but also with many of the recent Nor’easters there has been a real sharp cutoff in precipitation to the north and west, and not a huge wraparound/upslope to make up for it. It would be nice to see that trend change, because Nor’easters can be great for setting up the base snow, and the right ones with a large enough precipitation shield can even get the northern areas into the act.

Archived