SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pittsburg webcam finally got an upgrade... new view and way better quality. If you click it, you get a really nice time lapse.

http://pittsburgridgerunners.org/PopUps/First_Lake_Lopstick.html

Looks like they had squalls off and on all day today. Neat to see how much it snows up there despite nothing showing up on radar.

Did not see anything like a meteor, but I was then heading west on Route 2 near Newport, so looking in the wrong direction; lots of clouds, too.

Had 0.31" rain from this event, and my Dec snow total remains a trace. An inch or two fell atop the 4" from last Thurs-Fri before changeover where I was in the woods yest, about halfway between Greenville and Katahdin. Then rain and lots of wind, making it a challenge for the forest auditors to fill out their scoresheets. Got mild overnight, but highest was 43. Just a few gritty things in the air this afternoon.

Gfs shows enough possibilities that I think we'll have white ground for Christmas, though probably not enough to cover all the grass. At least the colder wx will begin to freeze things in the woods so we can get our winter timber harvests up and running.

Border WX-

I know that view.

Wow, looks more like late April!! This pattern has to turn at some point.

Your right on with April, just darker. and there is usually still 4 feet of snow on the mountain, not 4 inches. oh well. looking forward to the 20 days straight of upslope/lake effect at some point

(a guys gotta believe :) )

thanks PF. we're a bit partial but we love the view too.

That's awesome, LH!

Well it wasn't as much as it originally looked like but 1.3" down in town is starting to look like a big snowfall, lol.

I've got 1.8" up here at Mountain Operations, groomers are reporting up to 3" at the summit.

Still snowing here at the mountain... radar not doing this justice. With a temp of 12F at 4,000ft we finally have our good low level snow growth temperatures.

I'm curious what J.Spin got... he should be about ground zero as usual.

That's awesome, LH!

Well it wasn't as much as it originally looked like but 1.3" down in town is starting to look like a big snowfall, lol.

I've got 1.8" up here at Mountain Operations, groomers are reporting up to 3" at the summit.

Still snowing here at the mountain... radar not doing this justice. With a temp of 12F at 4,000ft we finally have our good low level snow growth temperatures.

Radar looks decent... still see a couple more bursts coming through.

Jay will probably report 5 :)

Feels almost arctic cold out there this morning with snow falling, wind blowing, and temps in the low 20s. Amazing that our averages this time of year at MVL are 28/13... and 20F right now feels arctic cold.

I would've thought the cold would make it further south last night. I was surprised that Springfield, VT is still 36F.

LOL, I didn’t even know this snow was coming – my wife got a kick out of that when she woke me up and said it was snowing and we already had an inch. Anyway, I’ll do a 7:00 A.M. analysis and report in. We’re actually off to Stowe today PF – we’ve got our annual training day for our school program where we get some training instruction, pick up our passes, etc. It’s kind of nice to have a bit of fresh snow out there, we’ve actually been pretty lucky with that on these early/mid-December training days at Stowe over the past few seasons.

LOL, I didn’t even know this snow was coming – my wife got a kick out of that when she woke me up and said it was snowing and we already had an inch. Anyway, I’ll do a 7:00 A.M. analysis and report in. We’re actually off to Stowe today PF – we’ve got our annual training day for our school program where we get some training instruction, pick up our passes, etc. It’s kind of nice to have a bit of fresh snow out there, we’ve actually been pretty lucky with that on these early/mid-December training days at Stowe over the past few seasons.

Cool! Yeah I bet conditions will be a bit on the firmer side but the new snow might at least give something to push around (though there's no water content at all). We've been hearing about a lot of accidents on RT 100 this morning including a flipped truck near the wood carving and mattress place, so I'd take it slow.

At least it looks like winter out there again. And it was funny how yesterday I was griping that we hadn't seen any of these little surprise dustings this season... and last night's forecast was for mainly clear skies which turned into 6 hours of light snow.

Light snow is falling over here as well. Nice surprise! Might even be measurable before all is said and done. Quite a mood enhancer.

Looks measurable here at the WFO, nothing more than a tenth or two. But enough to whiten the scenery. I think this will be the 3rd largest "snowstorm" of the year! :lmao:

Wow, might even be close to moderate snow at this point ... tough to tell with the forest and all, but it's rippin' pretty good. Certainly can be measured and I think I'll satisfy my weenie curiosity and take a ruler outside.

Yeah...the local RWIS got briefly down to 3/4SM here. It's looking a little more impressive out your way. It's blown around a little here, but I'll only mark it down as a tenth. Hopefully we don't lose power from the weight of all of this.

Anyone know if PWM has ever been shut out in December? Even with next week's "threats," it seems like a half-way decent possibility.

From what I can see, it looks like 1999 would be the only December to not receive measurable snowfall. They traced three times that December, but didn't measure until January 16th.

Decembers of 1953 and 1957 also measured less than an inch, but every other December had an inch or greater.

Archived