joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was 2F when I left MBY this morning, but had been a bit subzero earlier. Yesterday I recorded 19/3, the low at 9 PM after a morning min about 6F. That's about 10F below my 13-yr smoothed avg for 12/18, first time this month I've been more than a degree or two sub-normal. However, its now over a week longer into Dec without measurable snow in the month than in any other Dec here. Expected to see Long Pond in Belgrade frozen this morning, but only the sheltered edges had ice and there was a small chop on the pond - that breeze probably caused the dawn bounce in my temp. Farther north, the much larger Flagstaff Lake appeared fully iced over last Tuesday.

06 gfs has 6-8" storm Christmas morning. Would be nice, especially if it's out of here by noon, as we plan to drive to Topsham early aft, then head west toward Illinois after visiting my wife's dad. Driving in snow plus moonless dark isn't my favorite.

Always tough to get that lake froze before january. Especially near the dam. I'll have to call my folks and ask them if their cove on great pond froze over today. Doubt we'll be riding much on either this winter.

No but i like where it is on the Euro, Plenty of time for this to trend favorably

And in this winter plenty of time to trend unfavorably, lol.

I don't care if this gets squashed to the SE... it just better not rain. The GFS is too close to pulling some Saint Lawrence Valley crap for my comfort level... and that high is absolutely trucking off the New England coast as that storm approaches. No blocking FTL.

And in this winter plenty of time to trend unfavorably, lol.

I don't care if this gets squashed to the SE... it just better not rain. The GFS is too close to pulling some Saint Lawrence Valley crap for my comfort level... and that high is absolutely trucking off the New England coast as that storm approaches. No blocking FTL.

And it could........ :lol:

Always tough to get that lake froze before january. Especially near the dam. I'll have to call my folks and ask them if their cove on great pond froze over today. Doubt we'll be riding much on either this winter.

True 'nuff, and sometimes from the dam all the way to the opposite end. However, the northerly cove along Rt 27 usually catches fairly early, and I doubt there was 40' of skim along any part of the shore.

In other news... the BTV WRF model now thinks that both Jay Peak and Mansfield see 0.5-0.75" of QPF tonight in the form of upslope snow.

I eventually figured out how to zoom in on the BTV WRF so I could see a little more detail, so that has been helpful. PF – not sure if you saw my message in the Pattern/Christmas thread because it might have been buried, but when you mentioned that you didn’t have access to any good ECMWF stuff I was curious about whether or not you use the ECMWF material at Weather Underground – I find it really useful so just wanted to make sure you knew about it.

Thus far we’ve just had light rain this evening down here in the valley, but frozen precipitation started mixing in here at ~9:50 P.M., and the precipitation has recently fallen more intensely. It’s just been some sleet at this point though, as we’re still fairly warm (38.7 F) at this elevation. I’d say the mountains must be getting hit with snow though, since the Mt. Mansfield real-time temperature at 3,950’ is at 26 F, and even down at 2,100’ the Bolton Valley Weather Station is below freezing at 31.2 F.

About a half inch of I don't even know what here at 1,550ft in Stowe... they must've seen sleet or zr or some icy graupel mix because you walk on top of it, not through it. Very crunchy out there this morning. I was hoping we'd have at least an inch somewhere on the mountain but my buddy in grooming said he wouldn't put his name behind an inch of snow so we have 0" of new snow today, since we only report if its 1" or greater.

Well the BTV WRF from yesterday was right about getting 0.5" but it just wasn't QPF, that's the actual snow total, haha.

Anyway, we've had an extra tenth or two of very fluffy snow here in the past hour with upslope fluff. Dust in your living room has more moisture content than the snow falling out of the sky right now.

10F 4,000ft

12F 2,500ft

19F 1,500ft

Some weak moisture working into the upslope region here at Mansfield and continuing down RT 108/Mountain Road into center of the village, so maybe we can scavage an inch out of this if we can get another 4/10ths or so.

Left the house this morning at 5 and headed to Bangor. Was 31 when I left, got into Bangor and noticed they received a coating of what looked like graupel over night. Nothing at all at the house, 8 miles away, but the coating of graupel left the roads slick which I realized as I slid through a stop sign. Luckily there aren't many people traveling at 5am. Down to 27 with a steady breeze picking up now.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.09” L.E.

At ~9:50 P.M. last night, frozen precipitation in the form of sleet started to mix into the rain, and by ~10:30 P.M. the temperature was down to ~35 F and snow was mixing in. The precipitation must have shut off pretty quickly though because there was just a tenth of an inch down on the snowboard this morning, and that may have come from the light snow that’s currently falling.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Temperature: 26.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: Trace

About a half inch of I don't even know what here at 1,550ft in Stowe... they must've seen sleet or zr or some icy graupel mix because you walk on top of it, not through it. Very crunchy out there this morning. I was hoping we'd have at least an inch somewhere on the mountain but my buddy in grooming said he wouldn't put his name behind an inch of snow so we have 0" of new snow today, since we only report if its 1" or greater.

Well the BTV WRF from yesterday was right about getting 0.5" but it just wasn't QPF, that's the actual snow total, haha.

Anyway, we've had an extra tenth or two of very fluffy snow here in the past hour with upslope fluff. Dust in your living room has more moisture content than the snow falling out of the sky right now.

10F 4,000ft

12F 2,500ft

19F 1,500ft

Some weak moisture working into the upslope region here at Mansfield and continuing down RT 108/Mountain Road into center of the village, so maybe we can scavage an inch out of this if we can get another 4/10ths or so.

And yet Jay is reporting 4-5? Hmmmmmmm

And yet Jay is reporting 4-5? Hmmmmmmm

Yeah I saw that... they were in a moisture train yesterday and last night as ribbons of echos kept migrating west-east near the international border so its possible. We'll see what the Jay co-op comes in with. I'm still not sure if it is the resort taking those measurements or if its an independent source. I'm really diligent with snow measuring and I'm sure some people are skeptical of us sometimes, too... so I don't want to poo-poo on any resort's snow measuring. The radar did indicate they would get more than this region.

With that said, 0" or dustings at Stowe and Smuggs... Bolton is also showing a dusting to 1" so I think the three of us in this stretch of the Greens are in the same ballpark.

I would say the report of 4-5 is wishful thinking. could have shot a puck to Troy on rt 105. we actually lost snow at the house last night with rain and slop coming out if the sky. skinned to 3200'. a solid inch of graupel, ice, snow stew. steeper pitches sounded like skiing on ball bearings (cue chevy chase...)

it was snowing lightly but, even the upper elevations got a mix from the feel of it. for a inch it was actually fun skiing, grippy.

I would say the report of 4-5 is wishful thinking. could have shot a puck to Troy on rt 105. we actually lost snow at the house last night with rain and slop coming out if the sky. skinned to 3200'. a solid inch of graupel, ice, snow stew. steeper pitches sounded like skiing on ball bearings (cue chevy chase...)

it was snowing lightly but, even the upper elevations got a mix from the feel of it. for a inch it was actually fun skiing, grippy.

Thanks for the report... yeah half inch of crusty stuff and now a few tenths of dust on top of that. Sugarbush is also reporting 1/2" of crusty snow so it looks like that was about the extent of our "event" last night.

I just took a run and its loud skiing on that stuff. I don't like when my skis make that much noise, haha.

Its still snowing here but its mostly large fluffy flurries blowing around in the wind and its light enough now that it certainly isn't going to accumulate any further. I can see some breaks in the clouds showing up down valley so the drier air is certainly working its way in now to end this.

There was just a trace of snow on the snowboard this morning when I took my 6:00 A.M. observations, likely a bit of additional snow that fell from yesterday’s activity. The sky was cloudy with no sign of precipitation at that point, but around 7:00 A.M. it began to snow. By about 7:30 A.M., 0.4” of fluffy snow had accumulated on the board, and the ground had taken on a fresh coating of white. Granular flakes and sleet had also been mixing in. When I headed west toward Bolton I ran into freezing rain, heavy enough that I had to pull over because the car had not yet warmed up to the point of being able to melt the glaze on the windshield. The temperature was below 30 F at that time, but the freezing rain gradually turned to rain as I headed toward the Champlain Valley, and once in the Burlington area I saw temperatures as high as 37 F.

something liek ZR this morning in BTV. Dry when I started out on the morning run but started to flurry about 6:30 then by 7:00 it was ZRing (or something). Oakledge park's paths had a little crunch and slip to them by the end of the run. about an hr later when I went to the car it was def. crunchy and temps were about 32-34. Classic ZR to rain event I suspect today.

YAY WINTER.

Seriously if there is more snow in Philly than VT by my birthday I'm moving back.

Archived