joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had 5F at 9 last eve, about 3 at 5 AM, up to 12 and overcast at 7. Just got an in-house e-mail warning of very slippery steps/walkways outside the AUG office, and the salt-spreaders are at work. Doubt we've had more than a couple cents qpf so far, but with the cold ground, that's enough. GYX posted a WWA for the ice in their morning pkg.

Had a dusting of snow this morning...haven't measured, but it is probably my 3rd 0.1" on the season.

Same here. Seems like lots of dusting snows this fall. 25" snowfall for fall season isn't bad.

25/23F right now. Radar shows precip should be falling but nothing is yet.

I see Christmas storm is gone. I was texting my friend David Brown who was on air last night Ch 5 in Boston as Harvey Leonard was off. I was much more skeptical about a Sunday storm than most on the boards but kept my feelings to myself. He went with the Euro for Sundays storm as it seemed everyone was doing last night when run after run of GFS said no.. I know the GFS loses storms in this time period but I would hate to be a on air Met and try to forecast when one model says yes and another no. Maybe it will still happen but would not bet on it.

Was this really not seen by people? I haven't looked by I think models had a finger of moist mid level RH overhead with sct QPF, so a -ZR or FZDZ signal was there.

It's pouring ZR right now under 35dBZ echoes. It's probably raining too hard for all of it to even freeze, but we're getting the diabatic warming kicking in finally as it's up to 28.8F (up 1F in about 15 mins).

30.7F

My truck is getting encased in ice and the grass/shrubs are getting crunchy. The temp has held steady over the last 15 minutes. It's too bad we can't get a little more northerly drain to prolong the glazing.

RUC keeps surface temps below freezing into this evening for places like IZG. Razor thin layer of sub-freezing temps though, not the more typical profile of cooling for a couple thousand feet before warming.

RUC keeps surface temps below freezing into this evening for places like IZG. Razor thin layer of sub-freezing temps though, not the more typical profile of cooling for a couple thousand feet before warming.

Yeah...I could see that playing out up there. I think I don't have much more than an hour to go. The HRRR has < 0C 2m/skin temps here through this evening, but I'd bet the house its wrong. 31.2F now.

31.9F...the icing is about done here.

Same temp here as on the summit of the Rockpile though. Nice inversion from 1500' to 3000'.

post-3-0-40337200-1324495040.png

Interesting that MWN is over 40F at 4,000ft while over here at 4,000ft on Mansfield it just ticked up to 35F. 32F at both 1,500ft and 800ft.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/GMgetobext.php?sid=MMNV1&banner=gmap

Just got a report from my wife in Montpelier that people are sliding around all over the place on the sidewalks in town.

Fun!

Yeah I've noticed that although its 32F here and we aren't icing in the true sense, the pavement and sidewalks and parking lots are really, really slick. They were probably frozen solid this morning and still are, allowing the water to freeze even with air temps right around freezing.

I mean, it was 10F at 11pm last night when I got out of work... so that ground surface is cold. I did find it funny last night how tourists in town were wondering if it really would rain today because it was so darn cold last night. One couple was like how in the world will it rain in 12 hours if its 10 degrees outside right now?

Oh it'll find a way, don't worry. haha.

Feb 22-28 1969, Our biggest single storm snowfall here, We had 36" of snow as a low moved into the GOM and stalled, I remember being out of school for a week... :snowman:

Boston's "100-hr storm", biggest until 2/78. Farmington got 43" (for an amazing 84" snow depth), Long Falls Dam to the north 56", and Pinkham Notch 77" and something like 156" OG. Only 4" of slop in NNJ; our storm that month was the Lindsay storm on the 9th.

Steady ZR here, folks still sliding on sidewalks despite the salt-spreading. Headed home now, not looking forward to Mile Hill - hope the road crews have been diligent.

Archived