Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More flakes a-fallin'. :santa:

Point forecast is advertising single-digit readings for tonight.

Check out those upstream dewpoints... :shiver:

About time it actually feels like December out there.

And that stratocu deck just keep regenerating itself along the coastal plain, almost bisecting York Co. too. That should erode from the west over the next couple of hours as the high keeps building in. Now that we have full visible satellite, you can even see a little twist in the clouds where a weak wave of low pressure developed along that cold front. Really did a number enhancing snowfall on an otherwise benign morning.

And that stratocu deck just keep regenerating itself along the coastal plain, almost bisecting York Co. too. That should erode from the west over the next couple of hours as the high keeps building in. Now that we have full visible satellite, you can even see a little twist in the clouds where a weak wave of low pressure developed along that cold front. Really did a number enhancing snowfall on an otherwise benign morning.

The way it's been, it'll feel like December in the Northwest Territories.

Too bad the sun made a brief appearance this morning and vaporized much of the snow. At least there's some patches around. Fun morning, regardless.

I gotta say I really enjoy your posts... nice to have a NNE NWS member in here. Pete Banacos from BTV used to post occasionally but hasn't in a long time.

So tempting to spend all my time doing donuts in the parking lot at 5am... I'm always the first car to the mountain in the morning so I have done my fair share of joy riding in that empty lot.

What is this stuff falling from the sky?

Finally its starting to look like December.

We cleared out in the valley this afternoon but the upslope flow kept the ski resort in the "snow cloud" all afternoon... its still in it now.

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.04” L.E.

We were at Stowe today and it snowed the whole time on the mountain. It was generally light, but it just didn’t want to stop as Powderfreak said, so there were always big flakes in the air and it was quite a December scene. It wasn’t a huge dump, but even the few inches of fresh snow were enough to get folks pretty jazzed up. I’ll put up a couple of pictures later. We thought it felt cold out there, and assumed it was just our lack of acclimatization, but it actually was also pretty cold – the summit ridge was in the single digits with wind chills in the single digits below zero. On the way home we stopped in at the Alpine Mart on the Mountain Road for some gas and a snack, and the cashier asked how we were enjoying the sunshine. I told him that we’d been up on the mountain all day and we hadn’t seen much sun because it was snowing the whole time. He was pretty excited by that, and commented that they were expecting and other 2 to 4 inches tonight, and then we were going to get blitzed Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, with 8 to 10 inches on Christmas Eve. The woman next to me commented on how that was going to be horrible for travel, and he said the plows were going to be out all night. I hadn’t looked at the models in a while, but with the surprise shot of snow I could only assume everything had gone topsy-turvy with the forecast. Anyway, I think his estimate might be a little on the high side for tonight – the forecast seems to be more like partly cloudy and very cold. I do see the Monday, Thursday, and Saturday events on the ECMWF, but I’m not sure where he’s getting his weather information. It looks like the sun came out in parts of Waterbury, because the new snow had disappeared in a lot of spots east of the mountains, but one we headed back toward the spine the accumulations picked back up. The fluff we’d received overnight had certainly settled some, but I did find a couple of additional tenths on the snowboard. It’s also interesting to note that there seems to be more snow left on the west side of the range – we’re in South Burlington and they’ve got a good inch here, which is more than we saw back toward the center of Waterbury. They may have gotten in on some lake-effect snow or enhancement here.

Some details from the 3:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 20.3 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

Easily the coldest morning of the season thus far. Got all the way down to 1F and there we sit at the present.

Got to vent. I hate when my town does this. We had nice clean roads after the past rain and we got perhaps 1/4" of snow earlier this morning which of course sublimented (did I spell that right?) away. They dumped tons of salt over everything and now all the cars will be salt covered till we get a good snow (or rain) to clean them off. A huge waste of tax money for nothing and makes a mess of everything!

I hear ya loud and clear, man. This sort of thing drives me nuts too. Municipalities are so quick to get out the salt spreaders for every little dusting. It's very unnecessary and it's terrible for people's vehicles. I took my Saturday morning spin to the dump and our general store yesterday morning and I couldn't believe how the truck looked when I got back...

Down to 1F the past couple hours at MVL... maybe we snuck down to 0F between hours. We'll have to see when the 6 hour mins come out.

It is frigid out there this morning but the visibility from standing at 875mb looking down at the village is crystal clear (-4F up there and the light breeze feels pretty darn cold). The village looks like its right in front of your face and the northern Greens were in all their sunny, snow covered, frosty glory this morning.

Just a brochure morning out there...

That's the scary part, the normal low at CON is 16...

And thanks everyone for the kind words, I'm glad to be in NNE.

I was just thinking that... the normals at MVL right now are 31/13. So on average we should be hitting 13F fairly regularly now, lol.

Also of note, yesterday was the first day this month where MVL recorded a negative departure from normal. It took until December 17th to get a negative departure. That's crazy. Total departure for the month is a whopping +6.7F!

I was just thinking that... the normals at MVL right now are 31/13. So on average we should be hitting 13F fairly regularly now, lol.

Also of note, yesterday was the first day this month where MVL recorded a negative departure from normal. It took until December 17th to get a negative departure. That's crazy. Total departure for the month is a whopping +6.7F!

Well CON couldn't even get below normal yesterday. By reaching 35 before the cold air arrived, they recorded a departure of +1 for the day.

Only down to 13F. Too bad it's wasted cold air at this point, looking at the rain coming. I've pretty much thrown in the towel on getting any decent winter. Whatever happens after this month could be decent, but it's going to be a short sledding and ski season for sure. Funny how this weather messes with your mind. I've pretty much accepted that every day or upcoming week is going to be the same crap. In other years, when it's been a slow start or we've had rough patches I'd get pissed. Now I'm just numb to it. Almost indifferent. To not have snow in ME for X-mas is ridiculous.

Here's something I think some folks may find interesting about how localized the upslope mountain snowfall can be on days like yesterday when the ski resorts see snow all day long but the actual towns associated with them see sunny skies.

I snapped these photos yesterday coming back from the grocery store, and then stitched them together to show the north-south oriented orographic snowfall over the immediate Green Mountain Spine.

The topo map has a red marker for where I was and the direction I was looking for the photos. The small blue circle is showing the main foothill you can see near the center of the photo (elevation 2,200ft at the top of that hill), while the larger blue circle is showing where the Trapp Family Lodge, residential area, and open fields you can see on the far left of the photo around 1,400ft in elevation. Further back is the Green Mountain Spine consisting of Mount Mansfield, Dewey Mountain, and Mount Clark.

As you can see, the mountains are behind what we like to call "the wall of white" and it just sits there and snows and snows and snows. It is surprisingly stable in the fact that it just keeps going and going. Sunny skies down in the village and steady snow at the ski resort. Note the heavier enhanced snow over Mount Clark and Dewey. It is very interesting that even the foothills that stick out to the east of the Green Mountain Spine are not seeing any precipitation, while only a mile or two further back you can't see anything in falling snow.

About a half hour before I took those panoramic shots of the Spine from the sunny village, this is what it looked like at the ski resort inside the "wall of white":

7.6F for my low. Pond now frozen for the rest of the season. Good ice skating weather on my little pond but wonder if the big NH lakes will freeze over this winter?

Hey Powderfreak, Stowe is lucky to have you with your passion in weather. Wish we had that kind of orographic stuff over here, downsloping kills us but we retain the cold real good in over running situations.

Outlook looks bleak as we all know.

7.6F for my low. Pond now frozen for the rest of the season. Good ice skating weather on my little pond but wonder if the big NH lakes will freeze over this winter?

Hey Powderfreak, Stowe is lucky to have you with your passion in weather. Wish we had that kind of orographic stuff over here, downsloping kills us but we retain the cold real good in over running situations.

Outlook looks bleak as we all know.

Any ice on Newfound yet? I'd gather not given the pattern this year. This may be one of those years where Newfound doesn't get a solid coat of ice until well into January.

So tempting to spend all my time doing donuts in the parking lot at 5am... I'm always the first car to the mountain in the morning so I have done my fair share of joy riding in that empty lot.

What is this stuff falling from the sky?

Finally its starting to look like December.

We cleared out in the valley this afternoon but the upslope flow kept the ski resort in the "snow cloud" all afternoon... its still in it now.

I'd say we hit about 4 on the upper mountain by 11 am.

Was a blast to ski:

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

Archived