mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should the storm 2 days before this one have been a red flag for this storm WRT upper air and supporting snow?

That storm itself shouldn't really say too much in terms of the 2nd one...but the one thing you could say about that storm, was that it snowed down to the lower elevations fairly easily once the mid-levels cooled to like -5C and the 900mb were down into the -3C range. Given how cold those levels were progged to be in the 2nd storm with much better dynamics and heavier precip, it should have shown not to get too fixated on the time of year or surface temps.

That storm itself shouldn't really say too much in terms of the 2nd one...but the one thing you could say about that storm, was that it snowed down to the lower elevations fairly easily once the mid-levels cooled to like -5C and the 900mb were down into the -3C range. Given how cold those levels were progged to be in the 2nd storm with much better dynamics and heavier precip, it should have shown not to get too fixated on the time of year or surface temps.

When we were bantering we talked about how storm 1 was able to snow and stick then keep that boundary south. Good stuff

Still no power here, but the outage reports have my town down to 96% of customers without power. Brought a small generator home from work and was able to wire the furnace to it to warm up the house and run the water heater. Took shower and ate dinner (grilled chicken & potatoes) by generator provided electric light. Much brighter than candles. Should only be a few more days now.....

Still no power here, but the outage reports have my town down to 96% of customers without power. Brought a small generator home from work and was able to wire the furnace to it to warm up the house and run the water heater. Took shower and ate dinner (grilled chicken & potatoes) by generator provided electric light. Much brighter than candles. Should only be a few more days now.....

Stay safe watch the fumes, when Irene hit everyone had their windows open, hearing of more reports of outside generators seeping fumes in.

I'll wait for the details on that. I bet they were using it as a heater and were blowing the exast into the house or they had it right next to a vent with the fan blowing in.

The muffler failed, two other reports tonight, cords ran through windows with exhaust facing the house. Got to be careful. Guy died in Palmer from propane portable heater that said safe to use inside, if properly vented.! Which they did not. Everyone should have CO sensors!

Saw an interesting sight down on i95 in Milford today...state DOT out chipping small limbs laying 20 feet or more from the road...while many roads in my town (and many other towns) have roads closed and people trapped in their neighborhoods. I get the whole state vs town thing...but come on!

Things that make you hmmmm

Wiil, Are you going to do a post mortum thread for this storm? I am curious to hear your thoughts on which combo of models did the best in nailing down the outcome, Thanks

Yes I will be doing one...Ive already started it. Hopefully I'll have it by tomorrow sometime. It was just incredible.

You can't cut down anything and everything that *might* pose a threat to power lines...just doesn't seem feasible. While I agree that there are areas that look suspect to begin with, there's only so much precaution one could take towards the fact that it might snow 12+" with leaves still on the trees.

I don't know, I just feel you can't really blame folks or companies for not being prepared for a 1 in 300+ year event. Some punches you just have to take on the chin.

NO - you didn't read clearly " ...Intermingling".

The issue was not with the powerlines themselves. The issue was trees that hung over on a sunny day, let alone 10" of paste, then collapsing upon them.

If regular maintenance took place, much of that would have been averted, and the issue "would not have been nearly as pervasive".

The issue was not with the powerlines themselves. The issue was trees that hung over on a sunny day, let alone 10" of paste, then collapsing upon them.

If regular maintenance took place, much of that would have been averted, and the issue "would not have been nearly as pervasive".

The thing is, they won't do that...if they did, every neighborhood would looked hacked to death. Its a question of aesthetics vs risk of losing power...and in this case, the risk of losing power is very low compared to the aesthetics. It takes a 1 in 300 year October snow bomb to lose power in a lot of these places that lost it. You aren't going to cut down every 12-24 inch thick limb that overhangs a power line because you are afraid that a once in a lifetime ice event or once in a lifetime wet snow event on foliage will cause it to come down. Its like cutting down all your trees within 30 feet of your house because you are afraid of the next hurricane of 1938 hitting and having them land on your house. Its a risk people are willing to take to make the neighborhood or property aesthetically pleasing.

People will not tolerate it. This does, however, make those same people responsible for not complaining too much when it takes a week to get their power back. We choose to do it that way, so we have to accept the consequences when these types of events happen.

Problem is no one wants to pay higher rates or special maintenance rates nor do people take an active roll in notifying the power company of trouble spots.....I agree with you in some places it's pretty obvious there's lack of trimming....

80 hours and counting.....Amazing storm

Obama granted Ma. a federal state of emergency declaration.

I can't believe how many school districts S of here are closed for the week.. My neighbor is a principal and he believes the schools will be granted an exception so the days will not have to be made up.

Northampton and Amherst still have many streets closed for downed limbs 4 days post storm.

CO poisoning cases from poor heating choices keep rolling in.

Wow.

Lol I am the master of setting low expectations... But on Friday I texted phil and was like "I'm going to be disappointed if I don't get a foot"

Even from the outside looking in it was cool to see you get amped up. After years and years on these boards you know each posters general temperament and that was not Debbie downer posting on Friday and Saturday lol

Put them underground....(yeah, more expensive initially).

The thing is, they won't do that...if they did, every neighborhood would looked hacked to death. Its a question of aesthetics vs risk of losing power...and in this case, the risk of losing power is very low compared to the aesthetics. It takes a 1 in 300 year October snow bomb to lose power in a lot of these places that lost it. You aren't going to cut down every 12-24 inch thick limb that overhangs a power line because you are afraid that a once in a lifetime ice event or once in a lifetime wet snow event on foliage will cause it to come down. Its like cutting down all your trees within 30 feet of your house because you are afraid of the next hurricane of 1938 hitting and having them land on your house. Its a risk people are willing to take to make the neighborhood or property aesthetically pleasing.

People will not tolerate it. This does, however, make those same people responsible for not complaining too much when it takes a week to get their power back. We choose to do it that way, so we have to accept the consequences when these types of events happen.

Archived