e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obama granted Ma. a federal state of emergency declaration.

I can't believe how many school districts S of here are closed for the week.. My neighbor is a principal and he believes the schools will be granted an exception so the days will not have to be made up.

Northampton and Amherst still have many streets closed for downed limbs 4 days post storm.

CO poisoning cases from poor heating choices keep rolling in.

Wow.

Hartford Hospital just reported 140 cases of CO poisoning, 10 people a day have been put in their Hyperbaric chamber for 2 hour treatments of pressurized 100% oxygen.

Obama granted Ma. a federal state of emergency declaration.

I can't believe how many school districts S of here are closed for the week.. My neighbor is a principal and he believes the schools will be granted an exception so the days will not have to be made up.

Northampton and Amherst still have many streets closed for downed limbs 4 days post storm.

CO poisoning cases from poor heating choices keep rolling in.

Wow.

Very doubtful. They will probably have to use the Feb or April vacations if it is looking like they will be bumping up against the end of the fiscal year (June 30)

Those waivers only seem to be granted inside of rte 128

Ice storm days had to be made up. Just saying.

People have to know that a fossil fuel portable heater cannot be put into the home. Period. House hold generators must be run outside. C'mon guys.

See what happens when you mix city folk and power tools. They were interviewing people on the news last night that were buying firewood and loading it into their buicks and civics. One of the comments was "I've never lit my fireplace before...." Scary

See what happens when you mix city folk and power tools. They were interviewing people on the news last night that were buying firewood and loading it into their buicks and civics. One of the comments was "I've never lit my fireplace before...." Scary

I lived in a city most of my life. Unfortunately, people get desperate to heat their home, but just can't heat your home with a fossil fuel type device, if you are inside.

People have to know that a fossil fuel portable heater cannot be put into the home. Period. House hold generators must be run outside. C'mon guys.

honestly...how people don't know this stuff is mind-boggling.

By city folk I meant the bmw driving tailgaters, yell at people at D&D, and pay a guy to plunge a toilet type lol

Scary stuff but 2 of the deaths the Gennys were outside but failed and the exahauts were near the house and got in through the electrical cord windows. Common sense is not that common.

I saw that, holy crap he probably does not know what a damper is. a house fire caused by a portable heating device took a life in CT last night.

Lol I am the master of setting low expectations... But on Friday I texted phil and was like "I'm going to be disappointed if I don't get a foot"

Ryan, long time lurker here....you are almost always a Debbie Downer (just to piss off Kev ?) but you were clearly amped for this from Wednesday on...the fact that you were intrigued and went balls to wall early was a huge flag to me that something fun was on the way.

Great call on this guys, can't wait to read Will's recap...storms like this are why this forum is great thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Ryan, long time lurker here....you are almost always a Debbie Downer (just to piss off Kev ?) but you were clearly amped for this from Wednesday on...the fact that you were intrigued and went balls to wall early was a huge flag to me that something fun was on the way.

Great call on this guys, can't wait to read Will's recap...storms like this are why this forum is great thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yeah I don't get excited for a couple inches or for a foot of snow where no one lives at 2500 ft. When I get amped up it's time to fire up the bus.

By city folk I meant the bmw driving tailgaters, yell at people at D&D, and pay a guy to plunge a toilet type lol

LOL... Was it you that said yesterday about the folks that think firewood just comes pre-bundled with a nice little handle on the bag to carry it? I was dying laughing thinking about some of this stuff.

LOL... Was it you that said yesterday about the folks that think firewood just comes pre-bundled with a nice little handle on the bag to carry it? I was dying laughing thinking about some of this stuff.

I know what he means, but in many areas...you can't just go out back and cut wood. I know in NNE you might be able to, but down here where there are a lot of people...you don't have that luxury.

Brings back frightening memories of late summer 2008, when $4+ oil prices caused state officials to highly publicize our agency's (up to then) modest cut-your-own firewood program. We lay out the blocks and mark the trees for harvest. Suddenly, instead of 40 permits for 200 cords total, it was 700 for 3,400 cords (and as many more inquiries where people were insulted that we weren't delivering cut/split wood for the $25/cord price we had set for cut-your-own.) For a week or more, our regional office phones were unusuable for anything else due to all the firewood calls.

When we'd ask about experience, we got responses like, "My neighbor has a chainsaw." Yikes! Hundreds of newbies with life-threatening power tools, the Maine Chainsaw Massacre. Remarkably, there were no significant injuries reported. Also remarkable was the lack of reported chimney/house fires due to 1st-time woodburners using green wood cut in Sept-Nov from the public lands.

On another note: The 1998 ice storm resulted in 4 CO fatalities in Maine. I think one may have been charcoal indoors, but the others were generators. Sad.

Interesting news conference with Gov Malloy and CLP. he is finally getting pissed, where was that anger when us podunks suffered in Irene. AIT

Its because the big population centers were nearly fully restored by this point following Irene (i.e. 4 days after the storm). No one cared about the eastern part of the state and dismissed complaints about long wait time because it's so rural and should be expected. Now those same people who told the SE part of the state to suck it up after Irene are the ones who are still waiting on power this time around. Karma at its best!

Its because the big population centers were nearly fully restored by this point following Irene (i.e. 4 days after the storm). No one cared about the eastern part of the state and dismissed complaints about long wait time because it's so rural and should be expected. Now those same people who told the SE part of the state to suck it up after Irene are the ones who are still waiting on power this time around. Karma at its best!

You got it bro, those legislators who poo pood us are now the ones complaining the loudest. Ryan and Wizs mayor is livid.

I got lucky as I didn't lose power in either storm. Wonder how many people in Connecticut were as fortunate.

Oh man Ryan is hot on his FB page, CLP blaming the wxforecasters.

That's ridiculous. Every meteorologist was hitting the wet snow/downed tree/power line aspect pretty hard. If not for the heavy snow, the fact that high winds were forecast should have been a reason by itself to be better prepared (luckily those never materialized). Wonder how CL&P stacks up against power companies in NJ, Mass., etc. that had hundreds of thousands of outages as well.

That's ridiculous. Every meteorologist was hitting the wet snow/downed tree/power line aspect pretty hard. If not for the heavy snow, the fact that high winds were forecast should have been a reason by itself to be better prepared (luckily those never materialized). Wonder how CL&P stacks up against power companies in NJ, Mass., etc. that had hundreds of thousands of outages as well.

Not good, now finding out they didn't pay their contractors from Irene and they refused to return.

He's fired up and rightly so, he nailed the forecast and potential damage same with NWS, the wording in their AFD made it pretty clear. Aside from that one crazy AFD from the OKX forecaster who said the snow would make the green leaves fall off the trees arrowheadsmiley.png, pretty much every met and AFD I read was calling for life disruptive damage. Maybe Ryan should have had Kevin come in and do a guest weenie segment to highlight the potential societal damage that was incoming.

CL&P really blew it this time and they are looking worse by the day.

Not good, now finding out they didn't pay their contractors from Irene and they refused to return.

Not surprised about the non-payment, if true. It can take months before they true-up the bill so to speak. Probably has to go through a couple of accounting cycles before funds are disbursed, and it has been less than two months since the last Irene contractors left the state.

He's fired up and rightly so, he nailed the forecast and potential damage same with NWS, the wording in their AFD made it pretty clear. Aside from that one crazy AFD from the OKX forecaster who said the snow would make the green leaves fall off the trees arrowheadsmiley.png, pretty much every met and AFD I read was calling for life disruptive damage. Maybe Ryan should have had Kevin come in and do a guest weenie segment to highlight the potential societal damage that was incoming.

CL&P really blew it this time and they are looking worse by the day.

I don't know one person who didn't mention that power problems. We all said this had the potential to be as bad, perhaps worse than Irene. Shame on power companies IF they decided that they knew climo and figured it could not happen.

Archived