Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

Ahhh awesome...I figured I read that wrong

Yea, everyone open their house, brings food, checks on the elderly. We opened a warming shelter, powered up cells etc. right now there are folks taking showers here. It's what we do.

Nutmeg hit the nail on the head.

Coastal, million dollars per mile to go underground but just think of all the jobs created. Back in the 30 s there was the Civilian Conservation Corp, they arrived enmasse to rebuild New England, put tens of thousands of folks to work. Perhaps it's time we reinvested in our country, use our workers using parts made from our factories. By the way those Thailand floods have created a huge electronics shortage.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do people not realize that like 75% of trees in these areas sustained damage? Some of them complete destruction? Instead of complain and fight I bet all these folks could clean their towns up pretty quickly working together...but what do I know, I just live in a state filled with helpful hippies who believe community can fix anything ;)

I am sure there are hundreds of folks doing what they can but comparing VT country to urban areas is silly.

I'll tell you right now...if I saw that in front of me...I'd get out of my car and knock the guy out. You see the same sh*t in the burbs outside of the city. People are flying around in their Rovers and Escalades and nobody gives a crap about anyone else. Of course this isn't the rule of thumb, but in areas that have more of a "hurry up" lifestyle..you see it more often than not. It's the one thing that I don't like about people sometimes. Many of us our more concerned with ourselves, rather than people as a whole.

Yeah it's comical how unproductive it can be when folks just look out for themselves...lines go quicker without squabbling and fighting, utilities get back online without pestering and pressure from higher powers, that lady will get gas faster if you just help her, etc.

It's funny how some people don't realize these things.

I'll tell you right now...if I saw that in front of me...I'd get out of my car and knock the guy out. You see the same sh*t in the burbs outside of the city. People are flying around in their Rovers and Escalades and nobody gives a crap about anyone else. Of course this isn't the rule of thumb, but in areas that have more of a "hurry up" lifestyle..you see it more often than not. It's the one thing that I don't like about people sometimes. Many of us our more concerned with ourselves, rather than people as a whole.

I saw a guy on with his flashers on the exit from Rt 2 to I-190 in Leominster in the breakdown lane. I pulled over to ask him if he needed any help...I was surprised like 2 other cars didn't stop. He said he was all set though...he had popped a flat and already had help coming. Probably popped it on Rt 2 since tree branches were all over the road there. It was kind of like an obstacle course on that road early Sunday a.m.

A couple things I've been able to hear through the grapevine...

- Outside crews from other parts of the NE weren't on standby like they are during a hurricane

- Even though 36-48 hours out when the potential for big tree damage was there the utilities didn't think it would be too bad

- Damage is worse than they thought even on Sunday and substantially worse than Irene

- There was extensive damage to transmission lines including damage to structures which has been virtually all the work done so far. There's been very little work done on the distribution side yet and we're already 72 hours past the event. During Irene not 1 transmission line was affected... during this snowstorm there were nearly 50 out.

-The other Northeast Utilities companies WMECO and PSNH were also very hard hit so unlike Irene when WMECO/PSNH were able to help CL&P immediately they will be unavailable for the duration.

Disturbing for the near term for sure.

the price to do that is insane

Well we keep having these instances ans spend millions of dollars in fixing this, as well as frustrations and millions of dollars lost for businesses.....it starts to even out.

Like I said, if that isn't cost effective...trim back the trees. People want to have their cake and eat too...well if they want power then perhaps we need a serious tree trimming project. Can't have both.

I am sure ther are hundreds of folks doing what they can but comparing VT country to urban areas is silly.

Yeah but I saw the same things growing up in Albany...the difference in reaction and then action in my town was laughable compared to what happens at say Logan11s town 10 minutes away from my town. There's an attitude in the suburbs that is like "how dare you inconvenience me. I see all the trees on the ground but I don't care. I paid good money to live in a place that gets quick attention from utility companies."

Do people not realize that like 75% of trees in these areas sustained damage? Some of them complete destruction? Instead of complain and fight I bet all these folks could clean their towns up pretty quickly working together...but what do I know, I just live in a state filled with helpful hippies who believe community can fix anything ;)

Many people in Connecticut make a hell of a living providing prepared meals to folks who either don't know how to cook or don't have the time/desire to cook. I suggested to a friend of mine on Sunday that he could use the side burner on his gas grill for boiling water, cooking with a skillet, etc... There was a pause and then he said "I never thought of that."

Unfortunately, much of today's society is used to instant gratification and thoughts such as stocking up on canned goods don't even register. Canned goods? Hell, I can go to McD's or oder a pizza. Gathering firewood? Huh? How do you do that? Doesn't firewood come in those neat plastic wrapped things with handles????

Sit around and talk/play games? Well, games don't work without the television, right?

I saw a guy on with his flashers on the exit from Rt 2 to I-190 in Leominster in the breakdown lane. I pulled over to ask him if he needed any help...I was surprised like 2 other cars didn't stop. He said he was all set though...he had popped a flat and already had help coming. Probably popped it on Rt 2 since tree branches were all over the road there. It was kind of like an obstacle course on that road early Sunday a.m.

Everyone passes by thinking someone else probably asked or called 911 if it were an accident. I've pulled over before...you never know if someone just needs to call a tow truck or something.

Well we keep having these instances ans spend millions of dollars in fixing this, as well as frustrations and millions of dollars lost for businesses.....it starts to even out.

Like I said, if that isn't cost effective...trim back the trees. People want to have their cake and eat too...well if they want power then perhaps we need a serious tree trimming project. Can't have both.

Agree 100%, but putting power lines underground is insanely expensive for a single street. I cant imagine what it would be for an entire state

Everyone passes by thinking someone else probably asked or called 911 if it were an accident. I've pulled over before...you never know if someone just needs to call a tow truck or something.

Well given the troubles with cell service yesterday/sunday and of course the fact that some people's cell batteries may have been used up, its definitely a bad assumption to assume they were fine. I figured at the very least I could give the ride to a gas station or something.

Yeah but I saw the same things growing up in Albany...the difference in reaction and then action in my town was laughable compared to what happens at say Logan11s town 10 minutes away from my town. There's an attitude in the suburbs that is like "how dare you inconvenience me. I see all the trees on the ground but I don't care. I paid good money to live in a place that gets quick attention from utility companies."

Oh I agree totally with you and made that point earlier. Only so much you can do in a city. How many apt dwellers you think have power tools. Chain saws etc. Again this country suffers disasters monthly, we should put together a fast reaction huge crew that during down times is fixing other things. The resources are available, one less fighter jet, one less tank brigade, one less of this or that. We need something.

Well given the troubles with cell service yesterday/sunday and of course the fact that some people's cell batteries may have been used up, its definitely a bad assumption to assume they were fine. I figured at the very least I could give the ride to a gas station or something.

That's nice you did that.

CLP has the money for tree trimming, instead their CEO got a 3 mil bonus. I have said it before . I know personally about their lavish corporate parties. Last year we got a sign left on our door from CLP looking for permission to trim trees ear power lines on our property we signed it and guess what they never showed back up

I don't get it. It must suck to go through life w/o empathy.

Around here there's a lot of people who stop to ask if I'm alright when I stop to take pictures along the back roads. Good people.

I had a jerk in a BMW SUV w/ Ct plates threaten me over the summer because I took too long filling my tank when there were 4 other open pumps. Screamed, said people in Greenfield suck, told me to get a hair cut, said I'd be sorry if I didn't move immediately.

All the while I just smirked thinking he'll never know that if it were not for the stations security cameras I would have emptied a can of bear mace in his face just for starters. I took the hi road and wished him a good day which seemed to set him off even more. Weird.

CLP has the money for tree trimming, instead their CEO got a 3 mil bonus. I have said it before . I know personally about their lavish corporate parties. Last year we got a sign left on our door from CLP looking for permission to trim trees near power lines on our property we signed it and guess what they never showed back up

Oh I agree totally with you and made that point earlier. Only so much you can do in a city. How many apt dwellers you think have power tools. Chain saws etc. Again this country suffers disasters monthly, we should put together a fast reaction huge crew that during down times is fixing other things. The resources are available, one less fighter jet, one less tank brigade, one less of this or that. We need something.

Nobody knows how to do things with their hands anymore. People have been handicapped in that dept. If something breaks or needs repair..we just call someone or buy a new one. Unfortunately, things like appliances are made so that if something breaks it needs to be replaced, rather than repaired. Fleecing of America. In any case, I'm guilty of that too, but I try to learn. Learning to do brakes in on the agenda since I need to do them. Also, my next home I'm sure will be a fixer-upper. I'm gonna have to learn how to do things real quick. If people want to save a few bucks in this economy...regular blue collar knowledge can save thousands.

I think we have gone real OT with all the philosophical stuff..lol, but good disco.

I don't get it. It must suck to go through life w/o empathy.

Around here there's a lot of people who stop to ask if I'm alright when I stop to take pictures along the back roads. Good people.

I had a jerk in a BMW SUV w/ Ct plates threaten me over the summer because I took too long filling my tank when there were 4 other open pumps. Screamed, said people in Greenfield suck, told me to get a hair cut, said I'd be sorry if I didn't move immediately.

All the while I just smirked thinking he'll never know that if it were not for the stations security cameras I would have emptied a can of bear mace in his face just for starters. I took the hi road and wished him a good day which seemed to set him off even more. Weird.

LOL, just wave with a smile. That always works.

on the news, sounds like Hydro-Quebec is mulling over crew dispatches to help its minions, they are such arrogant pricks :lol:

having lived in CT, the trees and landscape are world class beautiful a few miles inland (much more extensive than here), but the dangers in these situations are obvious given the adverse weather possibilities (including northern weather like here).

the 98 ice storm cost Hydro quebec a ton of money to fix the damage, but afterwards due to all the public pressure, they spent even more money to make the changes necessary to ensure something like that didnt happen again.

i imagine CL&P will be doing a thorough examination of their system once this is cleaned up.

Many people in Connecticut make a hell of a living providing prepared meals to folks who either don't know how to cook or don't have the time/desire to cook. I suggested to a friend of mine on Sunday that he could use the side burner on his gas grill for boiling water, cooking with a skillet, etc... There was a pause and then he said "I never thought of that."

Unfortunately, much of today's society is used to instant gratification and thoughts such as stocking up on canned goods don't even register. Canned goods? Hell, I can go to McD's or oder a pizza. Gathering firewood? Huh? How do you do that? Doesn't firewood come in those neat plastic wrapped things with handles????

Sit around and talk/play games? Well, games don't work without the television, right?

Yep and the next generation is fooked even more. My Grandkids and own kids bitched and moaned about how bored they were during Irene. Putting them to hard work quieted that quickly. We used Irene as a good lesson on what to do and how to survive when without.

Nobody knows how to do things with their hands anymore. People have been handicapped in that dept. If something breaks or needs repair..we just call someone or buy a new one. Unfortunately, things like appliances are made so that if something breaks it needs to be replaced, rather than repaired. Fleecing of America. In any case, I'm guilty of that too, but I try to learn. Learning to do brakes in on the agenda since I need to do them. Also, my next home I'm sure will be a fixer-upper. I'm gonna have to learn how to do things real quick. If people want to save a few bucks in this economy...regular blue collar knowledge can save thousands.

I think we have gone real OT with all the philosophical stuff..lol, but good disco.

Yep, what I have been finding out though is lots of things, like cars are virtually impossible to work on without computer equipment. Sucks for the handyman for sure. I have changed brakes before, not hard.

I doubt it, talk about arrogance.

well at this point we are only a few days in.

lets see how it goes.

the longer the power stays out , the more CL&P will be forced to take action one would think, especially after back to back events!:arrowhead:

HQ didnt want to do anything either at first calling it a 'freak event' which of course it was, but still one needs to be proactive.

Just spoke with my friend in Windsor (CT). Even though 100% of the town is dark, he says that CL&P is indicating he will have power by 6 pm tonight. He says that people are really ,really pissed and nobody was prepared.

getting pissed solves nothing, if anybody read the warnings or paid attention they would have been prepared. I know many people that did not take me serious before Irene did this time. I think it's time for the state to have its own FM radio station to transmit info. I know that was our best way to hear what was going on. Adams station did a great job, all I hear from the Hartford stations is Ladyy Gagme.

Archived