• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

Northwest Connecticut's infrastructure is more or less destroyed. Parents said most gas stations are out, the ones which aren't have lines 40 deep. No propane, cell service, internet service even for those who may have generators. Food is a rare commodity. They were cooking on the grill all weekend and using a propane heater, but now those are useless.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northwest Connecticut's infrastructure is more or less destroyed. Parents said most gas stations are out, the ones which aren't have lines 40 deep. No propane, cell service, internet service even for those who may have generators. Food is a rare commodity. They were cooking on the grill all weekend and using a propane heater, but now those are useless.

Never thought when I offered my generator that it is pretty useless without gas. I guess the only positve thing is that unlike an icestorm peoples pipes will not be bursting.

Like I said earlier, there will be more attention given to this by Legislature because they were directly affected than was with Irene. It is common knowledge amongst working class that the infrastructure maintenance was the first thing cut in any budget, not many trench workers pull budget strings. They reap what they sow. Also, hint CLP did not restock after irene, they have a parts shortage.

Like I said earlier, there will be more attention given to this by Legislature because they were directly affected than was with Irene. It is common knowledge amongst working class that the infrastructure maintenance was the first thing cut in any budget, not many trench workers pull budget strings. They reap what they sow. Also, hint CLP did not restock after irene, they have a parts shortage.

I can't believe it's that destroyed. And to think it's from trees mostly falling on wires.

Have power back here, but many will be without it most of the week. There's so many things to look at with this storm its hard where to start. I'll probably do some sort of post mortem on the forecast around here. One of the more amazing aspects was that even areas not in the heart of the banding around here still picked up over a foot. In October, that is ridiculous....well even inside of banding to get over a foot is ridiculous, but the fact we are even discussing 17" snow totals in the same phrase as "I missed the heart of the banding" is mind boggling.

The thermal profiles just above the surface resembled a mid-winter storm in many ways.

Will, Which models do you think handled this storm the best? For here, It looked to me like a combo of the Euro and GFS as both of those models had cut back the qpf when the storm started trending SE, The Nam showed close to 1.50" here and we ended up with .84" liquid qpf..

Someone (Happy Valley?) mentioned having a diesel gen and running it off their oil tank

That might be what I set up someday

Twas' me. Diesel can run longer without issues and run off more fuels. A full home oil tank and you are good to go through near apocalypse type events. Small solar back-up for electronics devices, stereo etc. would be nice and is maybe my summer project because it's cheap to diy.

Can't afford to upgrade to diesel just yet. We currently have a gas powered and I would highly recommend the Subaru generators that have the control panel and receptacles that pop off and are on a 12 (maybe 10?) gauge 25' extension so all your outlets and monitors can be in the house while the generator can be a decent distance away.

Both for this storm and Irene I just made sure I had 20 gallons of gas cans filled plus both cars (30 gallons right there) with a siphon pump at the ready if needed. I figure that's about 2 weeks worth.

2012 my friend...2012.

No but in all seriousness there are roads where there are 8 or 9 trees on wires and the poles are ripped right down. It's not like there is just one tree in some random spot which fell. Scary...

298993_2539963107325_1501085519_2743174_808823884_n.jpg

297003_2584406566916_1157043528_33155935_2040065097_n.jpg

381032_2584603251833_1157043528_33156114_548861773_n.jpg

Firewood is plentiful all across CT this year for next years heating season, good year for a young gun like you to make some quick cash. Get a chainsaw, stop at every house with trees down. Cut um up stack um, 100 bucks a pop for a couple hours work. Must be hundreds of homes needing that.

Firewood is plentiful all across CT this year for next years heating season, good year for a young gun like you to make some quick cash. Get a chainsaw, stop at every house with trees down. Cut um up stack um, 100 bucks a pop for a couple hours work. Must be hundreds of homes needing that.

you know, that's not a bad idea. I could probably skip class for the end of the week and make a few grand over the weekend. I'm a workhorse, I can put in 20 hour days if need be.

Yup. He could nab some cash pretty quick...he'll need it to pay for his leg to be re-attached.

We only got like 4" max and it's carnage. Trees down everywhere, 80% without power in our town. 4" of cement though and trees are still full of leaves. Crazy

I was thinking about this today, Snow Miser and I had 5-6 inches but no power outages. I think Irenes damage was worse here and the leaves were less, the weak trees had already given out. I saw some broken ones but scatterred. I read about LI and NY where 2 inches was devastating. Interesting.

Amazing that out here where the highest snow totals occurred there are almost no outages.

Couple of reasons...leaves may be one, but also the higher up you went...the colder and thus drier the snow was. Lower elevations at like 33F is where things went crazy. Also, the ice storm might have helped clean out the excess crap a few years ago and at least reduce the impact of old limbs breaking and what now. The icestorm was a big deal in areas that weren't hit hard by this storm. Will and I were talking about this. Over the last 3 years..nature has done her share of tree trimming.

Last year I had a 33F wet snow bomb but didn't have terrible tree damage. There were trees down, but I think the big things about last year was that I had wind the whole time which helps reduce snow piling up on branches. In this storm, we had half or 2/3 of the storm with not much wind inland, and then the wind kicked up to 25-30kts as evident at BDL. I think that was the finl blow delivered and took out all these limbs and even whole trees.

Texted with Kevin and he said he is fine. House is 45F and he is staying the night there while the rest of the fam is with family who have a generator.

Archived