• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

So you are saying if it came around again and someone offered you 12+ inches and you knew it would cost power for a bit, the weenie in you would pass that up?

I'd say he'll yeah bring me 12-24" in exchange for loss of power before Halloween lol

I'll agree with Phil. It depends on how long the outage is. A day or two is fine, I can deal with that ... just a minor inconvenience. If it's what the poor folks in SNE are stuck with, that's fine. I've seen plenty of 12+" storms in my life, and there'll be more to come. I imagine the Rev will still want destruction with every storm, though.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll agree with Phil. It depends on how long the outage is. A day or two is fine, I can deal with that ... just a minor inconvenience. If it's what the poor folks in SNE are stuck with, that's fine. I've seen plenty of 12+" storms in my life, and there'll be more to come. I imagine the Rev will still want destruction with every storm, though.

Hope the 1-2 weeks w/o power was worth it...

Amazing to me that West Hartford is still 97% dark. Windsor and Windsor Locks are 100% dark. In addition to the hardships borne by residents, a lot of businesses are taking it on the chin (at least the small businesses).

The tension level is rising I heard. Big difference when POP centers are out, different breed of folk totally dependent . The folks that suffered the most around here in Irene were the ones who do not prepare. Spending all day out of touch and then getting totally surprised when the crap hits the fan makes for a long siege. Preparing also costs lots of money. I spent way too much money on Irene and just spent a lot stocking for Treemageddon, losing power is very expensive. I hope the folks in CT interior get services back soon. One thing I have learned over the years is that we are on our own when it all comes down to it. Not to preach but lessons learned passed on.

well it's all your perspective.

True I guess it is...my perspective is I got 1.5" and would have been very happy with 5-8". I dunno it's October so I find it really hard to complain about missing a freak 20-30" band. If you did not know what other areas got I bet you'd be very happy with 6" before Halloween.

Before the storm people were saying they would never complain about 6" in October and then nature gives a freak band and now half a foot isn't that impressive.

Heck I get screwed every time it snows...the village here is the lowest snowfall spot in town haha.

The resources are stretched, help is arriving today, once the help arrives things will progress faster.

Lot of out of state help in Leominster

Things progressing there. 7700 people w/o power as per the city

Some of the smaller towns near me are still at 80%+ w/o, but those numbers were as of this morning

Not the easiest work. They go into the individual neighborhoods last. Kudos to the folks on the ground

Leominster had 17 transmission lines (big ones) go down, so those were the prioritiy

The resources are stretched, help is arriving today, once the help arrives things will progress faster.

A couple things I've been able to hear through the grapevine...

- Outside crews from other parts of the NE weren't on standby like they are during a hurricane

- Even though 36-48 hours out when the potential for big tree damage was there the utilities didn't think it would be too bad

- Damage is worse than they thought even on Sunday and substantially worse than Irene

- There was extensive damage to transmission lines including damage to structures which has been virtually all the work done so far. There's been very little work done on the distribution side yet and we're already 72 hours past the event. During Irene not 1 transmission line was affected... during this snowstorm there were nearly 50 out.

-The other Northeast Utilities companies WMECO and PSNH were also very hard hit so unlike Irene when WMECO/PSNH were able to help CL&P immediately they will be unavailable for the duration.

Yeah, I don't know how it's prioritized. I would imagine they start closest to the substations and work out? Then go for population density?

It also takes a few days for crews to get here from the deep south and mid-west.

Many European countries started the process of moving older lines underground 20 years ago. The infrastructure in this country is becoming more fragile with age and if we are in a period of more intense weather than this is going to be a more common occurrence.

Ma. has a mandate to move a certain percentage of lines underground every year but this is being circumvented by counting new builds into the equation.

The tension level is rising I heard. Big difference when POP centers are out, different breed of folk totally dependent . The folks that suffered the most around here in Irene were the ones who do not prepare. Spending all day out of touch and then getting totally surprised when the crap hits the fan makes for a long siege. Preparing also costs lots of money. I spent way too much money on Irene and just spent a lot stocking for Treemageddon, losing power is very expensive. I hope the folks in CT interior get services back soon. One thing I have learned over the years is that we are on our own when it all comes down to it. Not to preach but lessons learned passed on.

That's too bad you feel like you are on your own when disaster strikes. You guys don't help each other out? After Irenes biblical flooding Vermonters were taking time off work to help neighboring towns...craigslist was filled with people offering rooms in their homes that had power or running water...everyone flocked to clear debris from village centers, donated services, clothing, etc.

I find it hard to believe your neighbors and other state residents wont help each other out in time of need.

A couple things I've been able to hear through the grapevine...

- Outside crews from other parts of the NE weren't on standby like they are during a hurricane

- Even though 36-48 hours out when the potential for big tree damage was there the utilities didn't think it would be too bad

- Damage is worse than they thought even on Sunday and substantially worse than Irene

- There was extensive damage to transmission lines including damage to structures which has been virtually all the work done so far. There's been very little work done on the distribution side yet and we're already 72 hours past the event. During Irene not 1 transmission line was affected... during this snowstorm there were nearly 50 out.

-The other Northeast Utilities companies WMECO and PSNH were also very hard hit so unlike Irene when WMECO/PSNH were able to help CL&P immediately they will be unavailable for the duration.

This all adds up to outages being longer than currently advertised by the media and local officials. People are going to start getting real angry but I'm sure everyone is working as hard as they can to get this resolved. I know the linemen are so I hope folks are not blaming them.

This all adds up to outages being longer than currently advertised by the media and local officials. People are going to start getting real angry but I'm sure everyone is working as hard as they can to get this resolved. I know the linemen are so I hope folks are not blaming them.

The other thing with this storm is that the worst of the damage is not in rural areas but in wealthy, relatively densely populated suburbs. Will be interesting to see how the reaction is different. I do agree with Steve that after Irene many of the small towns were exceptionally resourceful from the public works crews and first selectmen right down to individual families.

That's too bad you feel like you are on your own when disaster strikes. You guys don't help each other out? After Irenes biblical flooding Vermonters were taking time off work to help neighboring towns...craigslist was filled with people offering rooms in their homes that had power or running water...everyone flocked to clear debris from village centers, donated services, clothing, etc.

I find it hard to believe your neighbors and other state residents wont help each other out in time of need.

I've offered my generator to half a dozen families and had no takers. Amazing how intimidated people are about generators. lol

I remember in the ice storm, people were getting coffee, food to the linesmen, hope the same is happening now.

I have also heard that some people are berating those folks up on the poles, manning the chainsaws, etc. Not sure if this is true. If so, those jerks are eekholes.

Thnakfully, the wx has been decent for the crews to work in.

I might drive out to Leominster to help in the shelter there.

My town is in pretty good shape and the few w/o power are in good hands.

My kids are bouncing off the walls! I keep shooing them outside

Glad you are Ok Adam, did 98 come back yet? Interesting social comment, saw some angry folks at gas pumps on video today, did not see that in ECT during Irene.

Yes, we came back at 7:45 last night when full power was restored after being gone since Saturday afternoon when it first went out. There was no plan by management way higher than me and no generator after ours failed during Irene - I warned them Wednesday that an event like this might happen and they laughed....

Agreed on the social comment - it wasn't bad in Willimantic, but I saw 2 instances of people trying to cut lines in Tolland - and that was just in my drive through town - people were laying on the horns pretty good.... there have been a lot of tempers flying in the Springfield area as well, particularly surrounding food and gas - front page article in our newspaper today speaks volumes to the issues that have been going on - I had a couple callers on Sunday on WMAS during the live-phone-call portion of the broadcast ask others of the community to please wait their turn and help out those that may be more in need, appears a lot of that goodwill has kinda fallen on deaf ears....inadequate security at the Central HS shelter in Springfield I've heard as well..... kinda disappointed this time how things have been handled.

Some of the hardest hit towns are reportedly going to be looking at an 11/11 restoration date from CL&P when their dates are released this afternoon. Unreal, 2 weeks without power.

well it's all your perspective.

seeing a mega death band annihilate relatively low elevatiions (pepperell /concord nh) while you are smoking 5-10 dbz's if not less is tuff for any weenie to swallow regardless of the month. at the end of the day everyone realizes it's october....but even more important at the end of the day is you got screwed and i see this with the caveat that (if low elevations to his WNW and NNW) didn't receive the high accums .....i think most would chalk it up as an elevation event. but it wasn't that cut and dry IMO and the fact that the modeled CCB never materialized over the area just kicked someone when they were down (missing DB and sucking on subsidence) waiting the arrival of a CCB that never arrived

Plenty of QPF fell over ern mass. The problem was that when the DS moved in, we had somewhat crappy snowgrowth for a time and the temp went up since we lost the added lift. If it were winter, we would have been buried, because that lift that occurred in the lower levels, probably would have been in the DGZ since the atmosphere would have been colder. QPF was not the issue.

Wow, Springfield and towns in Ct have already cancelled school for the week!

They'll be cancelling vacations and going to class until 4th of July.

Unless this was the only big storm of the winter...

They reportedly, at least in MA, aren't gonna have to make up the days due to the state of emergency. That's just what a caller to the radio station said, but she was an administrator in a school district

The other thing with this storm is that the worst of the damage is not in rural areas but in wealthy, relatively densely populated suburbs. Will be interesting to see how the reaction is different. I do agree with Steve that after Irene many of the small towns were exceptionally resourceful from the public works crews and first selectmen right down to individual families.

No doubt this plays into it. You nailed it.(And I live in a suburb - not particularly wealthy, but a suburban area nonetheless)

So you are saying if it came around again and someone offered you 12+ inches and you knew it would cost power for a bit, the weenie in you would pass that up?

I'd say he'll yeah bring me 12-24" in exchange for loss of power before Halloween lol

Like Phil says, it depends. In the city, we never lose power for more than 3 hrs or so. Many lines are underground and no real trees anywhere near the lines. I would love to see 12"+ and see the carnage but after 4 or 5 days without power?? No thanks. Not to mention sleeping at your house like Kevin is...probably to prevent looting.

Huh I mean WE , no govt help. We always help each other, always.

The grids are way behind...that's what it comes down to. We can't have lines going through forested areas. It's a disaster waiting to happen. It's a lot of work for sure, but if people want the power on, they are going to have to lose some of their precious trees if the expense of putting it underground is too much.

Terrific post. As a side, I have a friend who fairly recently attended a State sponsored seminar which dealt, in part, with a pandemic outbreak/significant terrorist event. Low-end ciivil disorder can break out in about seven days after a large scale event (for example, portable generators start to be prime targets for thieves). I, in no way predict that here, but the level of anger and frustration will rise dramatically by this weekend if complete towns remain in the dark. Once groups of people start jointly voicing their frustration, things can escalate quickly. I do not envy those local politicians who face Election Day next week.

Please, this is not meant to be alarmist but merely a reminder that time is of the essence. Being cold, dark, out of work, and frustrated combine for a bad recipe. I hope CL&P gets its backend in gear.

You know it is sad how things get handled differently in affluent areas vs rural communities...and the reaction from those two types of areas is almost laughable. Small towns in more rural areas seem to pull together to get through a disaster while affluent suburbs just seem to get mad at everyone.

Where I grew up outside of Albany was a nice suburb and any inconvenience was an absolute outcry to politicians or utility companies, while small towns up in the hills were holding potluck dinners. I think growing up with that turned me off on the suburbs and that entitlement attitude.

Now you hear stories in these hard hit towns of people fighting for gas and cutting lines, etc... Are people really in that much of a rush? Old ladies at gas pumps getting yelled at if they don't know how to work the pump right instead of getting out of that BMW and actually helping said lady.

You know it is sad how things get handled differently in affluent areas vs rural communities...and the reaction from those two types of areas is almost laughable. Small towns in more rural areas seem to pull together to get through a disaster while affluent suburbs just seem to get mad at everyone.

Where I grew up outside of Albany was a nice suburb and any inconvenience was an absolute outcry to politicians or utility companies, while small towns up in the hills were holding potluck dinners. I think growing up with that turned me off on the suburbs and that entitlement attitude.

Now you hear stories in these hard hit towns of people fighting for gas and cutting lines, etc... Are people really in that much of a rush? Old ladies at gas pumps getting yelled at if they don't know how to work the pump right instead of getting out of that BMW and actually helping said lady.

I'll tell you right now...if I saw that in front of me...I'd get out of my car and knock the guy out. You see the same sh*t in the burbs outside of the city. People are flying around in their Rovers and Escalades and nobody gives a crap about anyone else. Of course this isn't the rule of thumb, but in areas that have more of a "hurry up" lifestyle..you see it more often than not. It's the one thing that I don't like about people sometimes. Many of us our more concerned with ourselves, rather than people as a whole.

Terrific post. As a side, I have a friend who fairly recently attended a State sponsored seminar which dealt, in part, with a pandemic outbreak/significant terrorist event. Low-end ciivil disorder can break out in about seven days after a large scale event (for example, portable generators start to be prime targets for thieves). I, in no way predict that here, but the level of anger and frustration will rise dramatically by this weekend if complete towns remain in the dark. Once groups of people start jointly voicing their frustration, things can escalate quickly. I do not envy those local politicians who face Election Day next week.

Please, this is not meant to be alarmist but merely a reminder that time is of the essence. Being cold, dark, out of work, and frustrated combine for a bad recipe. I hope CL&P gets its backend in gear.

Do people not realize that like 75% of trees in these areas sustained damage? Some of them complete destruction? Instead of complain and fight I bet all these folks could clean their towns up pretty quickly working together...but what do I know, I just live in a state filled with helpful hippies who believe community can fix anything ;)

Archived