joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy heavy withdrawal setting in right now. Not only from the OBS perspective, but moreso from the model tracking perspective. Its almost like I was in a trance for 5 days. Probably just witnessed the greatest storm of my lifetime from a historical perspective.

I bet a lot of you feel the same way right now. Its almost like a depression type state.

On the other hand. Its not even November and I have a feeling were gonna see a lot of snow this year.

Naw. NZucker had more, JJAsh had more, MPM had more. Probably others (Subdude?)

MRG of course had the more

Rationale: You were often shadowed last year so this over performer deserves gold. Of course, Pete (mrg) winning platinum is a given. Rindge had a lot but your relative screw history and Nate's newness to the area tilts the gold in my mind to you.

I took the dog up Corey Hill..easy hike from my house. Much more snow at the top. I was pissed in that I forgot my phone. I had the perfect picture sequence...archived last day of snow cover last winter and the first day this winter. I'm going to bust for your area and I'm thrilled that you are experiencing the goods. You are a good man...always respectful to all and deserving of all the snow you can get. Enjoy!

Once you get east and south of hfd the damage drops off quite a bit. West and north of hfd the damage is exceptional even in the valleys. That damage stretches from Kevin straight on through Danbury almost uninterrupted and also continues into ny and ma on either side.

For the amount and extent of damage this exceeds the 1973 ice storm and you probably have to go back to 1938 to see this amount of damage in interior ct to trees. Carol was worse in e ct.

As mike said I agree that this is probably the most anomalous storm of our generation and is probably more rare with a longer return time than a cat 3 hurricane in sne.

It was rare enough that people didn't know how much to worry about it.

Power came back around 6pm. Ton of snow melted this afternoon. Went from 14" last night to about 6-8" otg now.

Temp already down to 28 imby

My cheap weather station got trashed last night so it's just mercury until I can buy another one.

I'm exhausted. Model watching all week, yard prep, no sleep last night between excitement, baby, trees snapping and stove stoking. Snow removal today and then helped a neighbor find his 8 month old huskie that ran off in the storm last night.

Me and my dog had a great sighting of a huge bobcat while out searching for the neighbors dog today. I got a little nervous actually.

I'm ready for a quiet weather week - lol.

Bed time!

Heavy heavy withdrawal setting in right now. Not only from the OBS perspective, but moreso from the model tracking perspective. Its almost like I was in a trance for 5 days. Probably just witnessed the greatest storm of my lifetime from a historical perspective.

I bet a lot of you feel the same way right now. Its almost like a depression type state.

On the other hand. Its not even November and I have a feeling were gonna see a lot of snow this year.

I know what you mean. I also have this weird feeling that Christmas is only a week or two away since this type of scene generally doesn't happen before December even in good winters.

burlington schools closed, 75% of town without power.. also my offices in Billerica have no power so closed.. kids are worry about no Halloween.. crazy!

http://www.nstar.com...-10-30-1600.pdf

I am lucky to have power..

Still 630k in MA and 790k in CT still out as of last check. Clearly slower progess than Irene when the MA number was knocked down by 250k within 24 hours. Overall there was more tree damage, more damage to major transmission lines in this event than Irene, and the snow and lack of crew pre-positioning doesn't help either due to the lack of lead time to prepare for this event. The impact areas tree damage wise were slighly different South coast SE CT/RI and SE MA generally got off relatively easy, unlike Irene, but anywere near or NW of an LWM-ORH-MMK-DXR line including NH southeast of Concord (i.e 70% of MHT is still out) was hit pretty hard . Outage rates of 75-90+% are common in the core of the hard-hit area.

Well, I knew I was due to deal with another Dec 1996....now the debt is settled.

Hell NO 40/70 You ain't settled anything.

That was just this winter sneezin'

Get used to it. Half you guys will move to Florida by late Jan.

I think this storm has you guys all shook up - getting 'old on me?

You ain't seen nuthin' yet in the record Winter of 2011-2012

U all bitchin' 'bout power out? Cryin' 'bout yer trees down? C'mon guys - You all know you CRAVED all that heavy wet snow! I watched you all OBSESS over that death band all night long - I was up til 5am Washington DC time!!

I got news for ya! YOU WANTED IT.

WELL - YOU GOT IT! So suck it up. Put on yer big girl panties and Deal with it like grownups already!!!

If I was up there you wouldn't have a power outage - I'd shovel that 32 inches of snow like I'd take a stroll in Central Park in April in 74 degree weather with the puppies

Heavy snow too much for you all to handle? - Dump the lot of ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know who the hell to call!!!!!!!!!!

Jeb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snowman.gifscooter.gifpopcorn.gifguitar.giflmaosmiley.gifpepsi.gifbike.gifwub.gifhug.gif

BTW - You guys think 35 degrees in the daytime is too cold? Give me a BREAK! WE were 32 degrees on Saturday here in tropical northern VA!!!! We took that in STRIDE!!!! You New Englanders or a fookin' bunch of p u s s i e s?!!!! Yeah - you heard me loud and clear!! LOL

One issue to consider is the 3 utilities owned by northeast utilities were basically the hardest hit. Psnh in s nh, wmeco in western mass, and cl&p are all 50-70% out with damage to transmission lines. At least in Irene all the nu crews could focus on the eastern ct and the shoreline basically.

Kevin wanted it...he got it.

Ryan how are you doing there?

Had to leave west Hartford... No cell service, no heat, gas stations with hour waits and couldnt even park in my driveway with tree limbs and power lines down. At my parents house now. What a mess. Looks like the highest elevations nw of hfd are actually better off the ct river valley and Farmington valley are incredible.

So when you speak of the anomaly (storm), you are referring to its damaging effect, specifically tree destruction? For the sake of an academic discussion, the sensible weather wasn't that extreme. The temperature, wind, low pressure, duration and snow amounts (we're speaking in relative terms to all-time marks) while remarkable, were not record setting of themselves. But for the leaves on the trees, weren't storms like the hurricane of 38, Superstorm of 1993, or April 1982 more anomalous meterologically speaking, i.e, combinations of rare, extreme conditions?

This event reminds us that we should be using some of our stimulus spending on infrastructure to bury these power lines underground in storm prone areas.

Once you get east and south of hfd the damage drops off quite a bit. West and north of hfd the damage is exceptional even in the valleys. That damage stretches from Kevin straight on through Danbury almost uninterrupted and also continues into ny and ma on either side.

For the amount and extent of damage this exceeds the 1973 ice storm and you probably have to go back to 1938 to see this amount of damage in interior ct to trees. Carol was worse in e ct.

As mike said I agree that this is probably the most anomalous storm of our generation and is probably more rare with a longer return time than a cat 3 hurricane in sne.

Had to leave west Hartford... No cell service, no heat, gas stations with hour waits and couldnt even park in my driveway with tree limbs and power lines down. At my parents house now. What a mess. Looks like the highest elevations nw of hfd are actually better off the ct river valley and Farmington valley are incredible.

Wow. This will be something we will remember until we are 6 feet deep.

You should see unionville...there wasn't a tree left standing on one 200 foot or so long section of road

So when you speak of the anomaly (storm), you are referring to its damaging effect, specifically tree destruction? For the sake of an academic discussion, the sensible weather wasn't that extreme. The temperature, wind, low pressure, duration and snow amounts (we're speaking in relative terms to all-time marks) while remarkable, were not record setting of themselves. But for the leaves on the trees, weren't storms like the hurricane of 38, Superstorm of 1993, or April 1982 more anomalous meterologically speaking, i.e, combinations of rare, extreme conditions?

This event reminds us that we should be using some of our stimulus spending on infrastructure to bury these power lines underground in storm prone areas.

Calendar!!!! The fact we were able to do this in October is just unbelievable. Before this storm the earliest 12" storm in Hartford was on dec 6,2003. We got a foot 38 days earlier!!!!

In terms of anomalous storms this takes the cake in my book. Let me put it this way... I'd expect to see a hurricane if 38 repeat in my lifetime before a repeat of this.

In terms of met anomalies this exceeds 1978 IMO.

Archived