joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove out to Gardner to shovel my in-law's roof (one part is sort of flat - 21" at 1:30PM after melting)

Looks like December/January

But no tree damage...none... I don't understand it. Snow was sticking to trees, trees had leaves, no major outages here

I saw you mention it yesterday but didn't have time to respond... but I think the ice storm played a part in terms of taking down a lot of material that would have fallen eventually. Although, it doesn't quite add up as the ice storm left behind some severely damaged pines that managed to remain vertical. Case and point one of the pines out front lost it's crown and basically has a flat top, which held a lot snow last night. It was leaning ominously this morning until the sun got to work. It's probably a bit of the ice storm and luck. Once night hit the snow was all pow.

BTW nice pics Dave, it was an awesome storm.

Portions of New England now have the highest snow depths in the Northern Hemisphere below 10,000ft south of the Arctic Circle

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

However, this bodes poorly for my work...

"Leominster PDs fbook: 4-5 days no power due 2 main line to city damaged. Only 2 gas stations, 3 groc store, 2 restr open" :thumbsdown:

Not yet confirmed, but Nat. Grid map has lots of the city w/o power. drat! I was planning on giving a quiz Wednesday

Dave although the snow might have been wet, it may have not had the consistency of sticking to the trees like they had at lower elevations and to the south. Looking back at things, there seemed to be a warmer layer near 750-800mb that may have allowed the snow to be a little wetter than normal. It is also this layer that might have been the octane to fuel the band across western NE.

Dave although the snow might have been wet, it may have not had the consistency of sticking to the trees like they had at lower elevations and to the south. Looking back at things, there seemed to be a warmer layer near 750-800mb that may have allowed the snow to be a little wetter than normal. It is also this layer that might have been the octane to fuel the band across western NE.

You are probably correct. Major electricity issues in Leominster. Main transmission lines are out...

Enjoying the Pats game attm

what a crazy day. Both Megan and I are without ower so I have been back and forth between Chelmsford and ORH. The differences in each spot though are amazing.

I drove down from my parent's house at 1k' to downtown Torrington at about 500' (about 2 miles away as the crow flies), and the depth went from 18" to about 8". Absurd...

Just got power back here in Maynard, most of the Town was out all day. Longer outage than Irene. Would have to say in this immediate area, tree damage was slightly worse than Irene. Fair amount of large branches along the roads. Havent seen much pics yet but will go over this thread. I gather Central/Western MA and CT took a beating.

Archived