joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major. Transmission lines this time ala Montreal style. Worst case scenario for cold weather months.

now i can believe the 15-20 days thing if that much of the state is fooked. tough few mo up there.

I grabbed the camera to take pictures out at the beaver pond. I made it about 100 yards through knee -deep snow, and I realized I wasn't going to get there without my snowshoes or skis. So, trekked back and went for a ride instead. So different out here than what so much of the region is dealing with. No fallen trees. No branches. No wires on the road. Just tons of beautiful powder.

Watching the Ravens now with school closings going across the ticker.

Ryan. You guys did a terrific job on this storm. When Upton called for up to 13" in Old Lyme yesterday afternoon, you (and some of the other stations) held pretty firm with your calls. Well done!

Yeah I was pretty sure we'd have problems with a trend back to rain at the coast. The damage up north is wild. Even Haddam/Durham have some damage about 15 miles inland.

now i can believe the 15-20 days thing if that much of the state is fooked. tough few mo up there.

CL&P already on the hot seat from Irene. This is setting up to be worse. People going through this for the 2nd time and without heat now when it is needed.

With temps headed to the low 20's tonight, wonder if the town shelters are enough for the number of people who may show up? And with municipal elections only a week away I am sure there are some mayors, etc... a bit nervous right now.

OT but I'm not relating it to individual storms. Look at the last x years, we've had more huge events coast wide and nationwide than at any time in modern recorded history. Again could be sunspot activity, ocean currents, coincidence etc, but I tend to doubt it. Seasonal volatility would be what I expect in a changing pattern, what causes it who knows. We'll see in the next xx years.

The last decade has been absolutely incredible. So maybe. I sometimes like to relate it to the reaction of the atmosphere to the transition in the multi-decadal cycles. But that would account for a few years, not the last decade necessarily. A lot of different factors can come interact in various complicated ways to produce "extreme" (relative to what we know) weather.

As Tip mentioned it was a perfect sequence of events for a disaster. Warm first 3 weeks of October delaying leaf loss in low elevations. Then a quick flip to winter. Even in early spring with no foliage yet this system would have caused outages which while not as extensive would have been widespread.

I grabbed the camera to take pictures out at the beaver pond. I made it about 100 yards through knee -deep snow, and I realized I wasn't going to get there without my snowshoes or skis. So, trekked back and went for a ride instead. So different out here than what so much of the region is dealing with. No fallen trees. No branches. No wires on the road. Just tons of beautiful powder.

Watching the Ravens now with school closings going across the ticker.

I drove out to Gardner to shovel my in-law's roof (one part is sort of flat - 21" at 1:30PM after melting)

Looks like December/January

But no tree damage...none... I don't understand it. Snow was sticking to trees, trees had leaves, no major outages here

Archived