Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Careful...treading on thin ice there...lol

Certainly an amazing event, surpasses the Blizzard in what ways? CT certainly got messed up...

I like controversey.

I'm talking from an anomaly standpoint. This has that beat. That was a blizzard in Feb. this was a 20-35" storm in oct...and not all that localized.

I like controversey.

I'm talking from an anomaly standpoint. This has that beat. That was a blizzard in Feb. this was a 20-35" storm in oct...and not all that localized.

Lol. Possibly the most anomalous snow event in New England recorded history

Yeah. You are right

Sort of like getting 10" in June or something

Blizzard 1888 next target

Lol. Possibly the most anomalous snow event in New England recorded history

Yeah. You are right

Sort of like getting 10" in June or something

Blizzard 1888 next target

This one would have been even more crazy if the big cities (besides hfd and springfield) were hit with 12+ totals. Thats the drawback.

I agree 100 percent. In terms of societal impact too in ct for many places this will be greater than 78 which is incredible to think about.

We are so lucky to have been around to experience this as its likely the most incredible event most if not all will experience. I think you said it, it was a one in every 200 year event. Now watch a cat 3 hit HVN next August lol. Boxing day storm...whats that????

We are so lucky to have been around to experience this as its likely the most incredible event most if not all will experience. I think you said it, it was a one in every 200 year event. Now watch a cat 3 hit HVN next August lol. Boxing day storm...whats that????

Volcano, tsunami? My bet is on Epic cold 1934 style

They're telling my sister in law 10-14 days with no power outside Hartford.

Spent the day helpin friends locate boats. 30+ sailboat on my beach which dragged its mooring ball. There are no moored sailboats within 10 miles of here. This may have come from provincetown all the way across the bay last night.

Some boats that got loose will never sail again. They got battered. Looks like airplane wreckage all over the beaches.

Peak wind gust of 75 measured by the same neighbor that had 83 in 05. Impressive.

They're telling my sister in law 10-14 days with no power outside Hartford.

Spent the day helpin friends locate boats. 30+ sailboat on my beach which dragged its mooring ball. There are no moored sailboats within 10 miles of here. This may have come from provincetown all the way across the bay last night.

Some boats that got loose will never sail again. They got battered. Looks like airplane wreckage all over the beaches.

Peak wind gust of 75 measured by the same neighbor that had 83 in 05. Impressive.

I was wondering about winds. Had not seen/heard too many reports

I guess the George's Bank buoy had 65 kt (or mph?) gusts and 30 foot seas

Just drove from harwinton to storrs to willimantic, almost looks like a storm didn't happen here. In an hour i drove from almost 2' and utter destruction to patches of snow and lots of grass. Wow.

No where near as much snow there, but Will will tell you that Willimantic is traditionally a snow hole for some reason or another.

Just drove from harwinton to storrs to willimantic, almost looks like a storm didn't happen here. In an hour i drove from almost 2' and utter destruction to patches of snow and lots of grass. Wow.

Once you get east and south of hfd the damage drops off quite a bit. West and north of hfd the damage is exceptional even in the valleys. That damage stretches from Kevin straight on through Danbury almost uninterrupted and also continues into ny and ma on either side.

For the amount and extent of damage this exceeds the 1973 ice storm and you probably have to go back to 1938 to see this amount of damage in interior ct to trees. Carol was worse in e ct.

As mike said I agree that this is probably the most anomalous storm of our generation and is probably more rare with a longer return time than a cat 3 hurricane in sne.

Yea actually had folks from IJD this am asking me if coed softball was still on. I was astounded, said huh?

Once you get east and south of hfd the damage drops off quite a bit. West and north of hfd the damage is exceptional even in the valleys. That damage stretches from Kevin straight on through Danbury almost uninterrupted and also continues into ny and ma on either side.

For the amount and extent of damage this exceeds the 1973 ice storm and you probably have to go back to 1938 to see this amount of damage in interior ct to trees. Carol was worse in e ct.

As mike said I agree that this is probably the most anomalous storm of our generation and is probably more rare with a longer return time than a cat 3 hurricane in sne.

How come you guys have not posted any damage pics, exceptionally piss poor.

Archived