• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

West Hartford had 11.5'' per the PNS...that would be one hell of a gradient.

BDL has been inflation city since last winter. There is almost zero chance they got anywhere near 20" based on the reports near them. They valley generally had 12-15" from Springfield down to HFD.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All PR aside, lets face it....this was extremely damaging. I would think people can take a look around their block and realize it may take awhile to get the power back. I'm just strictly talking from a damage standpoint..nevermind the politics and other stuff.

That's sort of what my Monday morning quarterback opinion has been... looking at these pictures and videos of the storm, I mean, even with a perfect forecast from their met service, there's not much they can do about this amount of damage. Aside from Tip's idea to years prior cutting every living thing down within touching point of the power lines. Just think if you were in their shoes, and you knew what you knew beforehand about what could happen... I mean, there's really nothing you can do about towns seeing 75% of trees damaged or destroyed. You can't stop it so you wait till its done and then you start cutting and clearing.

Yep pretty intense damage but I have to admit there is a part of me that is saying to the legislators who are now crowing for CLPs head when they were silent during Irene, payback is a mutha.

What are these people saying CLP could do or should've done to prevent this event/disaster from happening?

That's sort of what my Monday morning quarterback opinion has been... looking at these pictures and videos of the storm, I mean, even with a perfect forecast from their met service, there's not much they can do about this amount of damage. Aside from Tip's idea to years prior cutting every living thing down within touching point of the power lines. Just think if you were in their shoes, and you knew what you knew beforehand about what could happen... I mean, there's really nothing you can do about towns seeing 75% of trees damaged or destroyed. You can't stop it so you wait till its done and then you start cutting and clearing.

Well I think there was some residual doubt from people. Some of our clients were not as proactive with conference calls as they normally are, which made me think that they had some doubt. We even sent them emails giving them heads up about this storm because we were surprised they did not call a couple of days beforehand like they normally do. Some were more concerned about tropical disaster Rina at the time.

Well I think there was some residual doubt from people. Some of our clients were not as proactive with conference calls as they normally are, which made me think that they had some doubt. We even sent them emails giving them heads up about this storm because we were surprised they did not call a couple of days beforehand like they normally do. Some were more concerned about tropical disaster Rina at the time.

Yeah I think a lot of people weren't really that prepared for this because of the skepticism it could be this bad in October. There's certainly nothing that could have been done to stop the actual outages, but I suspect that if everyone had mobilized their resources and prepared for this, then power would have been restored sooner to a lot of areas.

DOTs were caught off guard too which is what I do...I mean, I was making fun of the skeptical reactions I was getting. Most seemed to think it would just be like most October snows and the roads wouldn't need a full supply of resources like a normal winter storm.

awesome

hopefully he crushes them on air too

I watched WMUR Friday morning, and they were calling for 2-4 inches for Manchester and 3-6 inches for SW NH. Great Forecast. Only about 24 inches under what Jaffrey got. This can go both ways.

What are these people saying CLP could do or should've done to prevent this event/disaster from happening?

Exactly... I was talking to ASPLUNDH crews today from PENN and they said they clear cut 20' away from their distribution lines whereas in NE, we leave trees hanging over lines cause people don't want to cut their precious trees.

Even if CLP had crews lined up, there still would have been 800K out.

Staffing pre and standby, tree trimming, crew assignments, clearing roads. Mitigation not prevention.

CLP chief just apologized to Meterologists at news conf. 187 admitted for CO poisoning.

Exactly... I was talking to ASPLUNDH crews today from PENN and they said they clear cut 20' away from their distribution lines whereas in NE, we leave trees hanging over lines cause people don't want to cut their precious trees.

Even if CLP had crews lined up, there still would have been 800K out.

Bullsh it my town has been begging for tree trimming, total BS

I watched WMUR Friday morning, and they were calling for 2-4 inches for Manchester and 3-6 inches for SW NH. Great Forecast. Only about 24 inches under what Jaffrey got. This can go both ways.

Every outlet underforecasted this storm. I didn't understand how they were forecasting so low the morning before the storm started. As a semi weenie I looked at the atmosphere temperature profile, the QPF all the models were putting out and knowing that the heaviest precip would be after dark and knew there would be over 12" amounts. I just didn't understand why everyone was so conservative......actually I did know, they were looking at climatology.

Some areas need tree trimming...not talking about hacking down everyone's trees, but there have been areas where trimming was requested by the actual residences and ignored.

Yea, I understand. But I just don't see how that is possible in New England with all of the forestation growing along the roads, or should I say the roads cut through the forestation. I mean, if a 40' tree falls, its going to fall 40'. So, cut the right of way back 40'?

Here nor there... this storm was like an ice storm. Pretty much nothing you could do. 3" of snow was like 3" of ice.

Staffing pre and standby, tree trimming, crew assignments, clearing roads. Mitigation not prevention.

CLP chief just apologized to Meterologists at news conf. 187 admitted for CO poisoning.

They should stop selling gas and start selling deisel. then nobody will use them indoors.

Yea, I understand. But I just don't see how that is possible in New England with all of the forestation growing along the roads, or should I say the roads cut through the forestation. I mean, if a 40' tree falls, its going to fall 40'. So, cut the right of way back 40'?

Here nor there... this storm was like an ice storm. Pretty much nothing you could do. 3" of snow was like 3" of ice.

You trim areas that are requested to be trimmed. I'm not sure why that is hard to understand.

The power outages were going to happen, but mobilization is more efficient if you have a good idea of how bad it will be. Those who prepared for the storm mobilize their resources faster. Those who didnt get caught with their pants down and are scrambling for resources.

???? I just don't really understand this.

Dude trees grow through lines all around here. Even major tranny lines are now impinged by forest and that's your companies right of way. Mitigation not preventation, why is Mass so far ahead again like Irene. Coincidence? Think not. The CLP chief backwaters like a true politician, he threw the Mets under the bus this AM now after the firestorm that he created he said oh I meant.....

You trim areas that are requested to be trimmed. I'm not sure why that is hard to understand.

The power outages were going to happen, but mobilization is more efficient if you have a good idea of how bad it will be. Those who prepared for the storm mobilize their resources faster. Those who didnt get caught with their pants down and are scrambling for resources.

Yep... I guess they'll know for the next October/early november snowstorm. This one was just so damn anomalous. No one knew what the hell was going on. With crews driving from Canada and down south, I'm thinking you'll need at least 2-3 day warning to mobilize them. NWS was calling for cloudy skies on Thursday lol.

Every outlet underforecasted this storm. I didn't understand how they were forecasting so low the morning before the storm started. As a semi weenie I looked at the atmosphere temperature profile, the QPF all the models were putting out and knowing that the heaviest precip would be after dark and knew there would be over 12" amounts. I just didn't understand why everyone was so conservative......actually I did know, they were looking at climatology.

I think the chance of busting must have played a big role. If they had called for a big snow and the pieces didn't fall in place they would have been laughing stocks.lol

Just found some 3g coverage, been going non stop here cleaning up roads. About 20 power crews rolled into town yesterday and have been going non stop to bring on the commerical districts and there starting to make head way with some town roads but others are just destroyed all poles snapped, wires on the ground. I keep hearing blame for CLP but wtf, I saw here this is a once in 150 year storm, what does the public expect? You think crews from Missouri will drive two or three days up here with all their equipment and then wait for a snow storm. watch it snow, then maybe there is damage bad enough to need them maybe not. Its New England, if you dont have a gennie or a woodstove and you have been here for more then a couple years I have no sympathy. Everyone moans when trees are cut down around here in CT so here ya go, enjoy, you can't have your cake and eat it too. The public is so out of touch with reality and common sense around here it hurts. Ok rant over but its been a long week and its only getting longer.

Archived