gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Second Winter Storm Threat - Oct 29/30

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey coastal, can you explain this? what's the kicker mechanism?

and would you not favor an even more west track with such an amped up low and very warm SSTs?

thanks! (obviously hoping 0Z models hold at BM)

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/AVN_18z/avn48.html

There's a kicker in the northern plains that will be giving this system a boot from behind. In order to slow a system down and have it really amp up, you want a huge ridge out there and instead we have an embedded shortwave in there.

Yeah well I don't think this is going to rip up E MA or anything. I suppose anythings possible, but its pretty late in the game to get that far of a bump.

I actually think that euro prog from a few days ago might not be a bad final outcome? Perhaps something like that. We'll see what 00z does. I wish I was in your shoes..lol, but if I can get 3-4" of paste with 50+mph winds...I'll consider it a win.

I'm totally balls to the wall for Saturday.

I'm not sure what OKX is looking at for their interior zones... we had snow accumulation on the roads in the valleys tonight after 30 minutes of snow lol. In fact this looks colder than some of our normal winter storms!

Barring a sizable shift west it's game on for a 5-10" snowstorm for many interior areas... possibly higher lollis in the hills.

I'm not sure what OKX is looking at for their interior zones... we had snow accumulation on the roads in the valleys tonight after 30 minutes of snow lol. In fact this looks colder than some of our normal winter storms!

Barring a sizable shift west it's game on for a 5-10" snowstorm for many interior areas... possibly higher lollis in the hills.

Did Kevin pay a visit to the studio and write this?

Big ? though..Is that 6-12 of paste for all of us or 29 and drier powder?

Nice early call on this one. Congrats! You were warning of the possible west shift early, and seemed to be the most confident of it.

Heavy heavy snow. weight_lift.gif

If it's coming down..of course it will stick to roads. Look what it did to NJ in October 2008. People have a big fetish for saying how it's too warm to stick and all that jazz, but once again..today debunks that.

wow :snowman:

pouring a chivas right now, congrats all

Snow down to the tropics of Fairfield, CT!

Saturday: A chance of rain between 11am and 2pm, then rain and snow. High near 43. Breezy, with a northeast wind between 11 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Saturday Night: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after midnight. Low around 32. Breezy, with a north wind 18 to 21 mph decreasing to between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

I know I have a 1/2 already and it's ripping pretty good. The whole trees thing has me baffled, past peak? LOL, shed leaves? Somebody needs a botany course. Peak is a color term, if the high winds of Tuesday would not bring the leaves down, they are not ready.

The most snow ever in Boston during Oct going by BOS is 1.1 inches. Keeping this in context reminds you that if theyget 1.4, it's an extreme event.

Yeah I think people need to realize what time of year this is. This is such an anomalous event coming up. It will depend on storm track, but as always this time of year...it's good to keep expectations more reasonable near the coast. It's easy to look at 850 temps and get pumped, but we have 56F SST's to the east. But, when winds go north...that's when it will likely flip. We could potentially have a 4-6 hr backlash from hell with the winds.

Yeah I think people need to realize what time of year this is. This is such an anomalous event coming up. It will depend on storm track, but as always this time of year...it's good to keep expectations more reasonable near the coast. It's easy to look at 850 temps and get pumped, but we have 56F SST's to the east. But, when winds go north...that's when it will likely flip. We could potentially have a 4-6 hr backlash from hell with the winds.

still sounds like fun!:snowman:

The most snow ever in Boston during Oct going by BOS is 1.1 inches. Keeping this in context reminds you that if they get 1.4, it's an extreme event.

This is extreme, expect extreme conditions, super cold upper air, wind even farts NNE the CP flips. I distinctly remember a storm in Mid Novie , maybe 87 when mets were saying the water is too warm, rain on the CP, well how did that workout. By the way it got run over by posts Scoter posted the link but LOL to Mark Rosenthal getting lost in an Apple Orchard in Newton. He was one of the Mets saying the water was too warm. I liked him though, good met, bad sense of direction. And yes MPM gave him a new name Scoter

Archived