Newest Member
    Toothache
Second Winter Storm Threat - Oct 29/30

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all know how this story ends.

Feels like a rule: perfect GFS track > 48 hours out with such amped systems is not good for areas south and east... amped dynamics will invariably dig the trough deeper and bring a track closer to the coast.

Can anyone explain:

1) What's the kicker mechanism preventing this from hugging the coast even more closely?

2) How might very warm SSTs impact the baroclinic zone and eventual track? Could models be underestimating this effect?

How about me and Steve?

You are probably gonna flip to snow easily so long as it doesn't come too close. It may take a little longer as some marine air may make it in before the storm comes....after all...SST's are warm. However you should flip when the heavy stuff comes I would think.

You are probably gonna flip to snow easily so long as it doesn't come too close. It may take a little longer as some marine air may make it in before the storm comes....after all...SST's are warm. However you should flip when the heavy stuff comes I would think.

Thanks Scott.

Eitherway, this will be pretty exciting for many folks. Looking forward to the possibilities of a nice early season storm for someone to boast about.

I think the NAM had pretty much stopped the QPF in its tracks at the northern border of MA--just eeking me in. I may be off on this, but I think the NAM had none of the qpf that's in VT and NH.

For the love of all thats sacred..can you please, please not focus on where the models place the qpf. You don't focus on that..look at the pattern and the setup

I'll tell ya...it really is almost mind boggling when you look at everything. Enjoy it. I don't see how it will miss. I suppose it could come more west, but that has a limit too.

In all seriousness I know you pull for Ray typically... but I sincerely hope we all get crushed by this one. These only happen once in a lifetime in October for most of us..so we all really should benefit. Here's to widespread 12-20 for all

I'll tell ya...it really is almost mind boggling when you look at everything. Enjoy it. I don't see how it will miss. I suppose it could come more west, but that has a limit too.

If it bumps more west, it will probably only hurt the CP by exposing them to a longer period of ENE/NE winds...the interior should be pretty golden.

They nailed the axis of hvy snow today from NY state down to N CT up to Mass/NH border

For the love of all thats sacred..can you please, please not focus on where the models place the qpf. You don't focus on that..look at the pattern and the setup

LOL.

I'm responding to that. Is that where the heaviest axis is? I think it went 60 miles above the border........

In all seriousness I know you pull for Ray typically... but I sincerely hope we all get crushed by this one. These only happen once in a lifetime in October for most of us..so we all really should benefit. Here's to widespread 12-20 for all

It might be the case--some with paste, some with powder.

You should fire up the bus.

If it bumps more west, it will probably only hurt the CP by exposing them to a longer period of ENE/NE winds...the interior should be pretty golden.

Yeah you guys are all set I think. I was talking a big bump west, but that's why I said it has a limit because you guys probably still look good even if a 40-50 mile jog, and it does have a limit thanks to upstream s/w.

Yeah you guys are all set I think. I was talking a big bump west, but that's why I said it has a limit because you guys probably still look good even if a 40-50 mile jog, and it does have a limit thanks to upstream s/w.

Yeah well I don't think this is going to rip up E MA or anything. I suppose anythings possible, but its pretty late in the game to get that far of a bump.

Sweet. I feel pretty confident in 4" actually. If everything comes together perfectly, however, I could see 8-12". But right now I am confident in at least 4". I think most tv forecasts were reasonable tonight mentioning the potential for several inches and less on the coast, but no specifics 48 hours out.

hey coastal, can you explain this? what's the kicker mechanism?

and would you not favor an even more west track with such an amped up low and very warm SSTs?

thanks! (obviously hoping 0Z models hold at BM)

Archived