12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 27 Storm Observations and Reports

moneypitmike

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good call. That stuff really stuck to the street huh?

Yeah I was an idiot, on my walk I forgot to bring my camera, so I only snapped with my cell phone, lol...that is what I sent you. I guess I could run back out with my camera now and take a pic of the front lawn, but its cold and nasty out.

Yeah I was an idiot, on my walk I forgot to bring my camera, so I only snapped with my cell phone, lol...that is what I sent you. I guess I could run back out with my camera now and take a pic of the front lawn, but its cold and nasty out.

Yeah that was a nice pic. Just think you were 83 a couple of weeks ago.

I think the general 2-3"+ we all talked about worked out. You guys to MPM and up to Socks seemed to be ground zero for a while.

and my shadowing fears came to fruition as much as you tried to soothe me yesterday - lol.

Calendar was the issue here. SWFE usually rock in this area. We've got high hills to the W & N and that did us in. Good dbz were just not there for 10-15mi on either side of the Ct River and that's what we needed to overcome other seasonal factors.

Lol...ginx FTW on talking about TSSN...looks like the lift is impressive enough to produce it. I was skeptical.

I was on the phone with a client in the Boston area an hour ago and he said he was having thundersnow.

I almost couldn't believe it and had to come here to confirm it for myself.

Any reports from New London County/Old Lyme area?

Congrats on the snow tonight boys and girls.

My obs from driving around CT tonight:

I was in Manchester just ESE of Hartford.. changed to snow by 6:30 or earlier. When I left at 7 there was 1/4-1/2" snow on the car.

Snowed from Manchester to Hartford on I-84.

In downtown hartford it was mostly mixed and I didn't see any accumulation. But I think I saw lightning.

I left Hartford around 8:45 and didn't notice any accumulation from Harftord to Middletown but it was mixing on and off.

THEN south of Middletown you go up a ~200' hill and at the top of the hill it was snowing with 1"+ of snow on the ground. Even a bit on the side of the road.

When I went back down the hill there was no accumulation and the precip was mixed.

The next hill about 8 miles south of Middletown there was also close to 1" at the top.

And there was still noticeable accumulation all the way to the north border of Chester just 3 towns inland.

Might have been mixing to Deep River.

1" of snow in southern CT in October with another storm on the way??

Didn't you leave that camera in a hotel room in Philly?

Didn't you leave that camera in a hotel room in Philly?

Lol, that was your camera you freaked out about. Classic times...you running all over the hotel trying to find it and then when you come back to our room, I hand you the camera with a bottle of tequila in the other hand...it was on the ground next to the bed and I think the blanket was covering it.

Winter hill a little while ago

image0036a.jpg

Lol, that was your camera you freaked out about. Classic times...you running all over the hotel trying to find it and then when you come back to our room, I hand you the camera with a bottle of tequila in the other hand...it was on the ground next to the bed and I think the blanket was covering it.

Winter hill a little while ago

image0036a.jpg

nice pic a weenie must have named the street

That's what I'm worried about lol

I've been wondering if this area (along the high ground from Randolph/Avon through Stoughton into Sharon) is in a bit of a snowbelt in SE MA with the combo of elevation and any uplift that may occur with northeast/east winds. When I was looking at homes here last winter, there was a lot more snow here than there was where I was living in Waltham. How much elevation does it take to get an orographic effect?

Last year, the coastal front did hang out around Randolph quite a bit more than normal where it usually trucks to just south of Wilmington or so. That is probably why you saw all the snowcover there last year. Generally Waltham will do better under all conditions even if its just holding off another 2 hrs on the change to rain and not blowtorching into the 40s and 50s in many storms. Orographic lift is negligible even on the scale of the blue hills, I dont know the magic number or if there is one but generally you need relief on the scale of 2K-3K feet before you can talk about a significant contribution to mesoscale rising motion.

Generally, Randolph to Sharon or so is not a horrible area but its a bit like rearranging deck furniture on the Titanic sometimes as we just can't always avoid a change to rain and or blowtorching. Don't get me wrong, its a huge positive difference even from my house in Randolph to the Braintree mall in many storms and in general snowcover. Usually one can notice a bit more snow in Stoughton/Canton compared to Randolph as well though usually not as drastic as Randolph-Braintree.There are far better areas to live N and W of Boston but its not a bad little region, you don't totally loose out like Plymouth, MA, Cape Cod, South Coast, etc. The area can definitely and often does do better than Boston proper and the immediate coast and can definitely hold snow better than the immediate coast/city.

Archived