• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene headed for landfall? How will it impact the Southeast? II-2

Summey

No worries, I'm in Western Wake right on the border of Chatham Cty and we've maybe had 0.5" of rain. I don't think we rcvd any of that bonus rain earlier in the day yesterday either. Winds are quite brisk right now.

Basically no rain here further west in Durham since about 8:30, but it's pretty breezy...15-25 with a couple of 30+ gusts. I'm just southwest of downtown and literally less than ten miles from the edge of the rain shield. Raleigh and northern/eastern Wake look to be getting some reasonable rain, but if you're about due south of Durham, you're just outside the rain shield too.

I don't know how much we got overnight, we got a little bit late last night from the first set of embedded thunderstorms in an outer band. At one point this morning we were literally dry-slotted with the bulk of the shield to our east and one little tendril of rain snaking to our west through Orange County, and Durham sitting smack in the middle.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downed trees is going to the big story for Pitt County... Just got back from the hospital, and what a mess roads are! Looks like everywhere is without power. Generators were roaring at the hospital, and even had the lights flicker a couple times in the cafeteria. Took the camera and go some pretty good footage, also saw several houses with severe shingle damage. I have now lost both my Bradford pears, and at least a half dozen other ones in the backyard. Just heard another loud pop, and it is still easily over 50 for a 2 minute avg. Anybody else checking out velocity radar out of MHX, nice wide max on the western flank which is starting to pull through. Don't really see any improvement till around 5. Hope we get power back tomorrow...

Not sure if it will be confirmed but we had to have had gust into the 80-100mph range. Structural damage being reported, my brother in law lost his roof on his trailer, and many, many reports of trees on houses in Greenville.

I have some roof damage, several shingles littering the yard. Looking around, I can see lots of houses around me with the same, shingles flipping back. Have one limb of the Bradford pear out front left standing, and we had a gust not to long ago that pealed some of the bark off of it. During my trip, saw many houses with missing shingles, even a few down to the plywood. Not your typical cat 1, not sure I have seen a landdfalling 1 with 947 pressure. This is more like a major, minus that intense inner core. NJ and NYC are going to get hit hard, likely one of the bigger EC storms in a very long time. Wind is starting to take on a little westerly component, but the velocity max showing up over us is insane, likely several mor hours to go.

I have some roof damage, several shingles littering the yard. Looking around, I can see lots of houses around me with the same, shingles flipping back. Have one limb of the Bradford pear out front left standing, and we had a gust not to long ago that pealed some of the bark off of it. During my trip, saw many houses with missing shingles, even a few down to the plywood. Not your typical cat 1, not sure I have seen a landdfalling 1 with 947 pressure. This is more like a major, minus that intense inner core. NJ and NYC are going to get hit hard, likely one of the bigger EC storms in a very long time. Wind is starting to take on a little westerly component, but the velocity max showing up over us is insane, likely several mor hours to go.

did you get any video of the worst conditions?

I think Brick might be functionally retarded, like his namesake.

The personal attacks need to stop. After your diatribes and whining the last several days, you really have no room to complain about anyone.

Guess we're in the same boat since you say the models suck, too.

And the bickering and complaining has gotten old as well. Folks need to chill.

Couple bad-sounding LSRs in Nash Co.

1115 AM NON-TSTM WND DMG NASHVILLE 35.97N 77.96W

08/27/2011 NASH NC 911 CALL CENTER

*** 1 FATAL *** TREES DOWN...1 FATALITY DUE TO A FALLEN TREE

0144 PM NON-TSTM WND DMG NASHVILLE 35.97N 77.96W

08/27/2011 NASH NC 911 CALL CENTER

NUMEROUS HOMES ACROSS THE COUNTY DESTROYED BY FALLEN TREES

6.79" rain total at my house now. Barometer 28.95 and rising.

Bo art. I live in Nash County. It has been blowing consistently above 50 sustained for 4 hours. I would estimate some gust approaching 70+. I unfortunately can believe numerous houses being destroyed by fallen trees. Alot of houses are old pine framed farm houses usually with very large oak trees in the yards. I shutter to think how much worse it would have been if this thing had come in as a cat 3 or 4.

Eyewall, did you go up 95 through Nash and Wilson? How bad was the driving conditions?

Side not, rainfall at a little over 5.5 inches. soybean fields around house swamped and tobacco is leaning close to the ground.

Just had literally thirty seconds of rain coming down in sheets, then it stopped just as suddenly as it started.

Edit: 15 minutes later, doing it again. This time it's been doing it for 2-3 minutes. Is this how rain is going to work from here on out? :arrowhead:

It's how snow's worked out this past winter, so I wouldn't be surprised if rain started doing the same thing.

At the hospital picking the wife up from work, on generators here, and wifi is up. Lost cellular service this afternoon, so I am really in the dark. Worst was from 11-4, but it is still going outside. Had several trips out today, and Pitt County took a good wallop, not your typical landfalling cat 1 in ENC. Flooding is about to take over the headlines, saying 17' for the Tar here in Greenville, looking a radar today and tonight, think it could go over 20. Moderate flood coming for these basins in ENC. Stay safe guys, may not be able to get on until tomorrow, going to be a dark night. God I hope we get power back tomorrow.

Got power and things are calming down enough finally, woke up last night at 3:30 am to wind pounding the house. Decided to go ride this out at my parents since we can hang outside there sheltered from the wind and watch. Got there about 5:30 am and already winds were already 40-50 in gust. Hard to say how high the winds got, I was in eastern Pitt Co about 10 miles or so east of PGV and conditions were pretty bad, a few of the gust we got were as bad as any as I saw in Bertha or Fran and thats saying something. We got a 70 on the handheld and this was hours after the worst ( we misplaced the friggen handheld I know I know :arrowhead: ). I honestly think we saw frequent gust in the 60-80 range from 12-3 and maybe a few a little better than that even, including one that was a total whiteout that was sustained 60ish for 2 min with a few peaks in there well over 80 with 8-10 trees coming down. The local GUC obs recorded a 73 mph gust before 9 am which was well before we got into the real core.

The damage is extensive there isnt a yard without a tree or trees down in it, just riding around for a hr in one small part of the area I saw 30 houses with trees on or in them and hundreds of downed trees. Also something that leads me to think winds were higher is the number of homes missing shingles, and not just a few I mean plywood sheets showing, Also lots of vinyl siding has been removed from houses and apartment building including some very new constructions. Well built privacy fences also paid a heavy price, the damage is very much what you would expect from 75-90 mph wind gust.....lots of cosmetic damage but nothing strong enough for real structural damage ( beyond trees crushing houses etc which there is tons of).

News reporting over 900,000 in NC w/o power. Pamlico sound areas, espeacilly New Bern really took a wallop. Major flooding in New Bern and I can see how with 2 rivers converging right into the pamlico sound, which I bet the surge probably hit or come darn close to it's record all time high. Really this was a worst track scenerio for New Bern and Greenville immediate area. Irene crawled it seemed like today over that warm water in the pamlico sound and maintained her strength remarkebly well after landfall.

Best wishes to you guys getting power back on and having to deal with the river flooding and clean up the next several days. On another note keep in mind it's still August and 2 big factors are still out there should another storm come calling state side as we head to the peak season. 1) the GOM is a bathtub with 90 degree sst's. 2) eastern seaboard and espeacilly eastern NC is a swamp now. Another east coast cruiser could potentially be a mega flood nightmare. It was Dennis soaking 2 weeks before Floyd that laid the groundwork and caused the historic NC flood of the century.

Lost power at 9:38. Running DSL modem and laptop on deep-cycle battery/inverter.

High gust locally (2.5 miles from my house) 52 mph before power outage deprived me of live readings from that station. Conditions have been ramping up since then, though.

Storm rain total so far at my house is 5.02".

I've seen a couple of vehicles turn around in my driveway, so I take that to mean the road is blocked.

:yikes: I hope you didn't get to much damage

At the hospital picking the wife up from work, on generators here, and wifi is up. Lost cellular service this afternoon, so I am really in the dark. Worst was from 11-4, but it is still going outside. Had several trips out today, and Pitt County took a good wallop, not your typical landfalling cat 1 in ENC. Flooding is about to take over the headlines, saying 17' for the Tar here in Greenville, looking a radar today and tonight, think it could go over 20. Moderate flood coming for these basins in ENC. Stay safe guys, may not be able to get on until tomorrow, going to be a dark night. God I hope we get power back tomorrow.

I hope you do too :)

Got power and things are calming down enough finally, woke up last night at 3:30 am to wind pounding the house. Decided to go ride this out at my parents since we can hang outside there sheltered from the wind and watch. Got there about 5:30 am and already winds were already 40-50 in gust. Hard to say how high the winds got, I was in eastern Pitt Co about 10 miles or so east of PGV and conditions were pretty bad, a few of the gust we got were as bad as any as I saw in Bertha or Fran and thats saying something. We got a 70 on the handheld and this was hours after the worst ( we misplaced the friggen handheld I know I know :arrowhead: ). I honestly think we saw frequent gust in the 60-80 range from 12-3 and maybe a few a little better than that even, including one that was a total whiteout that was sustained 60ish for 2 min with a few peaks in there well over 80 with 8-10 trees coming down. The local GUC obs recorded a 73 mph gust before 9 am which was well before we got into the real core.

The damage is extensive there isnt a yard without a tree or trees down in it, just riding around for a hr in one small part of the area I saw 30 houses with trees on or in them and hundreds of downed trees. Also something that leads me to think winds were higher is the number of homes missing shingles, and not just a few I mean plywood sheets showing, Also lots of vinyl siding has been removed from houses and apartment building including some very new constructions. Well built privacy fences also paid a heavy price, the damage is very much what you would expect from 75-90 mph wind gust.....lots of cosmetic damage but nothing strong enough for real structural damage ( beyond trees crushing houses etc which there is tons of).

:lol: Glad you finally found it. :) I hope everyone is ok and the only damage was to something that could be replaced. :(

Archived