• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene headed for landfall? How will it impact the Southeast? II-2

Summey

The Bull City appears to have survived Irene with a few leaves down and just enough rain to get our yard muddy (although we did lose power twice last night when the winds weren't even blowing, not sure what happened).

I don't think the folks down east have been quite as lucky.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting hammered dont know peak gust but at least 60 maybe even a few hurricane force, trees dropping everywhere all you can smell outside is pine. Power browning out will have to post from my phone soon I believe. Really impressed with Irene so far and on the current track the center is still going to get closer, going to be a long but exciting day.

Getting hammered dont know peak gust but at least 60 maybe even a few hurricane force, trees dropping everywhere all you can smell outside is pine. Power browning out will have to post from my phone soon I believe. Really impressed with Irene so far and on the current track the center is still going to get closer, going to be a long but exciting day.

Same here Ron, been without power since 7am, on the iPad. Just made a run to the store, and areas around pcmh still have power. Noted several large pines down along Stantonsburg, so think our feed issue is from that. Give me a few guys, and I will be back on live.

Good luck to you! Gusty winds here in SE Wake Co. Looks like we're about to start getting more steady rain again. I haven't seen any trees down here yet, but I've got some small to moderate sized branches down in the yard. I'm going to take the little man out for a storm walk later. :)

Being without electric sucks.... Looking at radar and sat, think we lucked out with a halfacane, south side is pretty much nill. Big gust coming through now, avg around 40, pushing 60. Think the next 3-4 hrs will be the worst of it, radar showing this heavier band overhead currently, and depending on what peals off from that inner core, we may get clipped. No major problems imby, lots of limbs down, but no trees yet. Lots if rain though, creek is already full and would be interested to see RN fall totals for areas to my south and east.

Well we sure didn't get the rain we need, roughly a 0.25" per WRAL for RDU but hopefully the coast escapes the what could have been a really bad storm, thank goodness it kept weakening. Everyone east of RDU will be officially out of drought conditions after this storm so that is good news.

Being without electric sucks.... Looking at radar and sat, think we lucked out with a halfacane, south side is pretty much nill. Big gust coming through now, avg around 40, pushing 60. Think the next 3-4 hrs will be the worst of it, radar showing this heavier band overhead currently, and depending on what peals off from that inner core, we may get clipped. No major problems imby, lots of limbs down, but no trees yet. Lots if rain though, creek is already full and would be interested to see RN fall totals for areas to my south and east.

Yikes, no electricity does sucks! Well hopefully they can get you back up and running later today.

Not much of a storm here in Durham (Southpoint). Daughter is enjoying watching the trees sway in the Haracane lol. Wishing I was still living in Boston so I could be planning on watching the storm come in in Green Harbor or Duxbury Beach...

As one might expect, the rainbands keep dying as they try to get here, sometimes reforming on the other side. It's blustery, but nothing particularly bad. All in all, about what I expected: nearly nothing.

I thought you expected one for the fishes...

As the other Greenville folks have said, power in and out. Several trees down just on my road...coming down heavier than it has right now, winds sustained pretty strong as well. I'd venture a guess it's strong TS gusts at least.

Yikes, no electricity does sucks! Well hopefully they can get you back up and running later today.

Hope so, but my gut is telling me it will not be until tomorrow at the earliest. GUC is pretty good, but I can smell pine in the air, and tree damage is going to be considerable. For a halfacane, radar looks good, very intense banding on the north and west side. Just heard PGV had suspended emergency responses until the wind settles down. Bust guess atm is sustained at 40-50, with higher justs. Not the best hurricane I have ever been through, but the best Cat 1 for sure. Imagine by around 12pm, things should begin to back off, but it is rocking outside currently. :popcorn:

Not much of a storm here in Durham (Southpoint). Daughter is enjoying watching the trees sway in the Haracane lol. Wishing I was still living in Boston so I could be planning on watching the storm come in in Green Harbor or Duxbury Beach...

Imagine: you'd be better off in NYC or Boston to watch a tropical system than central NC.

As one might expect, the rainbands keep dying as they try to get here, sometimes reforming on the other side. It's blustery, but nothing particularly bad. All in all, about what I expected: nearly nothing.

Well you weren't really supposed to get much anyways so not very surprising.

Some of the models showed more rain for RDU. I'd have expected at least a little more than a quarter inch, especially when a good chunk of that was with last night's bonus.

Do you think the rain will fill in over the area a little bit? Looks like it's kinda trying to. The main rain shield is like 5 miles away from my house and has been staying put. The center looks like it's slowly moving north.

Lost 3G, and edge is crawling along with 1-2 bars. Had my first casualty, bradford pear snapped outback. Radar velocities are showing the heavier wind just now coming into SE Pitt county, with areas around New Bern to Washington getting clocked ATM. Going to be a long day with cellular data, and about to head over to the hospital for some lunch with the wife and little one. It was bad a couple hours ago, and progressively gotten worse. Easily 2 minute avgs over 50, with maybe some cane force gusts. Over under on power, 36hrs

Archived