Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene headed for landfall? How will it impact the Southeast? II-2

Summey

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:(

Yeah, I was looking at Wilmington radar a couple hours ago, and I stuck a little dot of tape over the center in both conventional and extended base mode. Been watching the center move away from those two little tape dots ever since. It certainly looks to be moving NNE on a trajectory for Hatteras at the present time.

Fine by me, as it looks like I still won't get rooked out of a big rain, which is my primary interest. I'd pay good money for 8" of rain and no power outage.

Yeah, I was looking at Wilmington radar a couple hours ago, and I stuck a little dot of tape over the center in both conventional and extended base mode. Been watching the center move away from those two little tape dots ever since. It certainly looks to be moving NNE on a trajectory for Hatteras at the present time.

Fine by me, as it looks like I still won't get rooked out of a big rain, which is my primary interest. I'd pay good money for 8" of rain and no power outage.

Yep. Could be a wobble like what we saw with the nnw movement earlier today. But the fact that it's been forecast to move nne and it's finally doing so leads me to think that north or nnw from here are unlikely directions. I don't need mass destruction, but I would love some good heavy rain and gusty winds. We don't have this chance much and to see it slip by just east sucks.

My final map issued for Hurricane Irene... track really hasn't changed and intensity was nudged down a tad to the the lower initial intensity. Looking at 90mph at landfall with it weakening more quickly thereafter.

http://philstropicalweatherblog.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/irene-slowly-weakening-but-still-has-massive-storm-surge-potential-for-north-carolina/

Chris if me and shaggy decide to head east at first light you gonna go?

Yeah, I am in! Wife has to be @ PCMH circa 630am, after that I am open till around 7pm. Will have the little one in tow, but going to pm the number in case it is gone, maybe we can chat tonight. Looking forward to a trip east Ron, go! :popcorn:

TWC: 22 year-old surfer pronounced dead at Atlantic City hospital. Rip current likely to blame

wral: RT @jmgl: Rumors of a surfer death from #Irene in NC are unfounded. Lifeguards were doing rough water training @alamb reports.

1. — Friday, August 26, 2011 9:09 PM

First one of probably a lot over the next couple days...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC

909 PM EDT FRI AUG 26 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEWPORT HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

MAINLAND HYDE COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA

NORTHEASTERN PAMLICO COUNTY IN NORTH CAROLINA

SOUTHEASTERN BEAUFORT COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA

* UNTIL 945 PM EDT

* AT 902 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

TORNADO 12 MILES SOUTHEAST OF ENGELHARD...MOVING NORTHWEST AT 40

MPH. ANOTHER POSSIBLE TORNADO WAS LOCATED JUST WEST OF SWAN

QUARTER.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

ENGELHARD...MIDDLETOWN...

LAKE LANDING...NEBRASKA...

FAIRFIELD...

PAMLICO BEACH...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A

STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...VEHICLE OR

OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS

AVAILABLE LIE DOWN IN A LOW LYING AREA. PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING

DEBRIS.

NIGHTTIME TORNADOES ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AS THEY ARE DIFFICULT TO

SEE. TAKE COVER NOW. DO NOT SEEK VISUAL CONFIRMATION.

HEAVY RAINFALL MAY HIDE THIS TORNADO MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO SEE. DO

NOT WAIT TO SEE OR HEAR THE TORNADO. TAKE COVER NOW.

PLEASE REPORT SEVERE WEATHER TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY

CALLING...1...8 0 0...8 8 9...6 8 8 9 OR NOTIFY YOUR LOCAL LAW

ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.

A TORNADO WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 500 AM EDT SATURDAY MORNING

FOR EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA.

* AT 902 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

TORNADO 12 MILES SOUTHEAST OF ENGELHARD...MOVING NORTHWEST AT 40

MPH. ANOTHER POSSIBLE TORNADO WAS LOCATED JUST WEST OF SWAN

QUARTER.

Tada! It's moved east of swan now, but you're right this will be the first of many I'm sure.

zgmI2.png

NC High Country: We had a good storm this evening as a result of the upslope push from Irene's wind field against the mountains. Then the storms moved to the SSW around the circulation of Irene:

On the coast: Definitely looks like what is left of the center of Irene will slide east of Cape Lookout.

Hurricanes are a beast to deal with. You have to get everyone prepared in advance and then they don't always pan out as predicted and can get over hyped as Irene. Our coastal friends will take that as good news any day as we all do.

Ready for the first upslope within 75 days!. What a heck of a hot summer.

Damn looks like I will be slightly too far west with my forecast with the NNE movement. I am not sure the rain shield will even make RDU.

Yeh bummer! Was hoping for some good rains. I'm on the west side of Wake county, so I'm not holding out much hope for a huge soaking.

Yeh bummer! Was hoping for some good rains. I'm on the west side of Wake county, so I'm not holding out much hope for a huge soaking.

This non-rain has to get past me to get to y'all in the adjoining county... not sure either of us will be getting very wet now. Kind of interesting - the rain shield cut-off is following EXACTLY the profile and curves and bends of I-95. So frustrating to know all that liquid gold is falling just 7 miles away to the East

This non-rain has to get past me to get to y'all in the adjoining county... not sure either of us will be getting very wet now. Kind of interesting - the rain shield cut-off is following EXACTLY the profile and curves and bends of I-95. So frustrating to know all that liquid gold is falling just 7 miles away to the East

The rain shield is moving west. You'll get some good rain before it's over with. I think RDU will also,

Is it just me, or is KRAX down for nearly every major weather event? It seems to be happening more and more.

They have been down an awful lot lately. They even had to get a special quick fix in time for April 16th because of how bad that event was looking. Thankfully they did!

Man is it raining, plenty of wind now too prolly gusting into the 30's, feels very much like a storm is coming. Me, Shaggy and WeatherNC might have to shoot east at daybreak if we cant get a NW wobble out of her soon....but I think hope she is gonna do it and end up surprising a few people by how strong she is too. If she went due north or even NNE from her current location with the size of her eye I would still be darn close to the eyewall and prolly see winds over 75 mph.

Archived