Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene headed for landfall? How will it impact the Southeast? II-2

Summey

My short recap:

Recap: Though I only got to go out there for a very short time I managed to get to the Goldsboro area as the center of the storm passed by to the east. I experienced the heavy bands which brough tropical storm conditions as they passed overhead. In some cases gusts approached 60 mph. I didn't get any worthwile video as most of the time the worst of the bands hit I was driving (and trying to keep the car on the road). Interestingly I witnessed the wind shift from NNE to NW as the center went by. I also noticed how warm it was in Goldsboro compared to back in Raleigh.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

News reporting over 900,000 in NC w/o power. Pamlico sound areas, espeacilly New Bern really took a wallop. Major flooding in New Bern and I can see how with 2 rivers converging right into the pamlico sound, which I bet the surge probably hit or come darn close to it's record all time high. Really this was a worst track scenerio for New Bern and Greenville immediate area. Irene crawled it seemed like today over that warm water in the pamlico sound and maintained her strength remarkebly well after landfall.

Best wishes to you guys getting power back on and having to deal with the river flooding and clean up the next several days. On another note keep in mind it's still August and 2 big factors are still out there should another storm come calling state side as we head to the peak season. 1) the GOM is a bathtub with 90 degree sst's. 2) eastern seaboard and espeacilly eastern NC is a swamp now. Another east coast cruiser could potentially be a mega flood nightmare. It was Dennis soaking 2 weeks before Floyd that laid the groundwork and caused the historic NC flood of the century.

Yeah we flooded really bad, mainly due to the fact that the 8-12" of rain has nowhere to drain when the river backs up with storm surge.....the problem is there was much more rain NW of us than expected so they are forecasting a decent flood, I think though we will be back at normal pretty quick since we had had that drought which I suspect has been resolved :thumbsup:

I shudder to think what we would have to endure if we have to do this again in two weeks, we would be in trouble, the upside would be that another hurricane is gonna have to be a beast to knock down the trees that are left cause they are some tough damn trees after what they went through the last 18hrs.

Here is the hydro for Greenville

Yeah we flooded really bad, mainly due to the fact that the 8-12" of rain has nowhere to drain when the river backs up with storm surge.....the problem is there was much more rain NW of us than expected so they are forecasting a decent flood, I think though we will be back at normal pretty quick since we had had that drought which I suspect has been resolved :thumbsup:

I shudder to think what we would have to endure if we have to do this again in two weeks, we would be in trouble, the upside would be that another hurricane is gonna have to be a beast to knock down the trees that are left cause they are some tough damn trees after what they went through the last 18hrs.

Here is the hydro for Greenville

Lol do you know something we don't?

By the way, anyone know how the Havelock area managed?

Also, here is a nice loop of the visible satellite for today.

110827_g13_vis_irene_rso_anim.gif

Lol do you know something we don't?

By the way, anyone know how the Havelock area managed?

Also, here is a nice loop of the visible satellite for today.

110827_g13_vis_irene_rso_anim.gif

Watching WCTI and Havelock did ok other than the normal surge/rainfall flooding, they had wind gust 80-100 I bet and the tree damage is extensive. I am pretty sure this is the biggest treefall eastern NC has seen in a very very long time, I mean its just crazy how many trees are down.

Watching the local news and they have the utility people on and they are saying how shocked and overwhelmed they are just with the shear number of trees that are down....I plan on getting some shots to post but its friggen insane.....Shaggy should be posting some video and pics we shot soon if his power can stay on he has been having issues keeping it. My dad also said someone drove into a big tree that had fallen on the highway nearby after dark and that they had rescue services on the scene and that it looked bad :yikes:

I dont think there is a single standing Bradford Pear left in eastern Pitt Co....why the hell do folks love this tree so much they cant take a average thunderstorm much less something like Irene and they are were everywhere.

Glad you folks east of us had a good storm but most of all I'm glad everyone made it through safe. Funny y'all mentioning the bradford pears. We have one in our front yard and my wife hates that tree. She was hoping it would get taken out today but it's still standing.

Glad you folks east of us had a good storm but most of all I'm glad everyone made it through safe. Funny y'all mentioning the bradford pears. We have one in our front yard and my wife hates that tree. She was hoping it would get taken out today but it's still standing.

What's really funny is that almost everyone hates bradford pear trees, and almost everyone has them anyway.

This hurts and saddens me a whole lot. My sister and hubby have a little vacation camper trailer on Collington Road in Kill Devil Hills... she just let us know this on Facebook....

Live update from Colington. Water over door handles at Billy's Seafood (4 feet of water in bldg), Cliffs of Colington & Sound are "one". Colington FD out of commission unable to respond to calls. Dominion Power not responding to calls from public safety. Long time resident (60+ years) says Colington flooding worst ever seen. Go kart under water. Downtown Manteo under water. Friend on pond now retreated to upstairs on Roanoke Island

Cape Fear: 22 hrs of tropical storm force, 6 hrs of 60mph gusts. 7"+ rain.

Ground, sidewalks, and pavement carpeted with shredded leaves, twigs, and branches. Neighborhood has trees bent to every angle; one snapped in half. Three mature trees along creek bed in front of my apt. are down to the ground.

18 hours no power all around me; others in county better or worse.

Duration of storm was amazing. #1 quote in town: "when the heck is this thing going to end?"

What's really funny is that almost everyone hates bradford pear trees, and almost everyone has them anyway.

Bradford pears are infamous for being less weak. They do not tolerate wind at all. I believe the City of Wilson stopped planting them along the roadsides not too long ago. Back at the end of July a neighbor down the street lost a Bradford Pear in a microburst. Hope everyone is ok . In Wilson today we had gusts to 60-70 mph. I had some fence damage and shingle damage. The power went out for a short while. Fortunately, no big trees in the immediate neighborhood. My wife is happy our 5 year old maple withstood it in the front yard.

Bradford pears are infamous for being less weak. They do not tolerate wind at all. I believe the City of Wilson stopped planting them along the roadsides not too long ago. Back at the end of July a neighbor down the street lost a Bradford Pear in a microburst. Hope everyone is ok . In Wilson today we had gusts to 60-70 mph. I had some fence damage and shingle damage. The power went out for a short while. Fortunately, no big trees in the immediate neighborhood. My wife is happy our 5 year old maple withstood it in the front yard.

they are a ten year tree. Once they get around ten years old wind begins to shear them apart. They break during a basic t-storm

Where are you?

I always like watching the winds' effect on trees. Here's a vid of a tree blowing over in the Greenville area

http://www.wcti12.co...1740/index.html

Peak wind gust at PGV which is 9 miles NW of me said 65 which I believe is BS. We got beat up and i've been through hurricanes and I know we atleast gusted to hurricane force. Some of the gusts in this storm were insane. The vid doesn't do it justice but these trees were bending to the breaking point ALOT but they are tough trees!

I am really sadden to hear about the deaths in NC :( I am glad overall that this was not as bad as some feared, although it did cause extensive damage and we really won’t know the full extent for a day or 2. One last note I think it's how one person on this forum thought it was going to go east of the Outer Banks or just a glancing blow. Remember the NHC are not idiots they are smart and care deeply about informing the public of danger that might be headed there way. They are not amateurs or kids, so for the person I am directing this to, stop acting like you know more than the personal at the NHC and please go out and get LAID!

P.S I am sure everyone knows who I am talking about

Just my 2 cents

I am really sadden to hear about the deaths in NC :( I am glad overall that this was not as bad as some feared, although it did cause extensive damage and we really won’t know the full extent for a day or 2. One last note I think it's how one person on this forum thought it was going to go east of the Outer Banks or just a glancing blow. Remember the NHC are not idiots they are smart and care deeply about informing the public of danger that might be headed there way. They are not amateurs or kids, so for the person I am directing this to, stop acting like you know more than the personal at the NHC and please go out and get LAID!

Just my 2 cents

I wasn't too far off the mark. It was about 40 miles away from going across Hatteras.

Just my 2 cents

Yeah, how dare that poster predict that the storm was going east of Morehead City when everyone else was making calls of a Cat 3/4 plowing straight inland into GA, SC and the interior southeast, when in fact the storm ended up as a Category 1 making landfall east of Morehead City with the strongest winds remaining over Cedar Island/Pamlico Sound...oh wait.

Yeah, how dare that poster predict that the storm was going east of Morehead City when everyone else was making calls of a Cat 3/4 plowing straight inland into GA, SC and the interior southeast, when in fact the storm ended up as a Category 1 making landfall east of Morehead City with the strongest winds remaining over Cedar Island/Pamlico Sound...oh wait.

terrible, isnt it :lol: i dont even know that it was a full hurricane in NYC let alone cat 3 :rolleyes:

once again the hype ran away - yes there were some deaths in NC which is sad. but the doomsday predictions, and catastrophic predictions were way over blown. this is why more people do not evacuate - all the false alarms. personally i would not leave my house for a cat 1 (cat 4 or 5 and on the coast would be a different matter)

but when the media and everyone hypes the wx to death, when the need for real warnings arises most people will not believe it. and for the mayor and other officials to insult those who chose not to evacuate for a cat 1 (or less) storm is ridiculous. the fear mongering needs to stop lol

Ok, so the bashing has begun. I will agree with the majorityhere that Irene was hyped, but when Irene was starting to leave the Bahamasthere was no way it was making landfall in GA or SC (except extreme NE SC andNHC forecasted this. but what I was responding to was that the NHC pretty muchhad this track set in stone a couple of days before it made landfall NC. Thisposter was saying 12 hours or so before it made landfall it was barely going tohit Cape Hatteras if even at all.

Archived