Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
5.9 earthquake in Virginia

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude5.9Date-Time

• Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 17:51:03 UTC
  • Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 01:51:03 PM at epicenter

Location37.975°N, 77.969°WDepth1 km (~0.6 mile) (poorly constrained)RegionVIRGINIADistances

• 6 km (4 miles) SSE (152°) from Louisa, VA
  • 6 km (4 miles) SW (236°) from Mineral, VA
  • 26 km (16 miles) SE (133°) from Gordonsville, VA
  • 32 km (20 miles) E (79°) from Lake Monticello, VA
  • 66 km (41 miles) NW (318°) from Richmond, VA
  • 134 km (83 miles) SW (219°) from Washington, DC

Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 10.9 km (6.8 miles); depth +/- 7.4 km (4.6 miles)ParametersNST=390, Nph=390, Dmin=57.9 km, Rmss=1.17 sec, Gp= 47°,

M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=6Source

• Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event IDusc0005ild

It was actually strong enough that I left my building (mainly because I figured a brick apartment building in Pennsylvania wasn't built to withstand ANY kind of earthquake shaking), but that was probably silly. I'm back inside now. :P

Question for you or other earthquake junkies. Are there any known faults in the area where it hit?

Bedrock in the east is a lot more efficient at transporting shockwaves than out west.

I was just thinking that. I'm surprised something of this size was felt over such a wide area. In CA, quakes of this size happen out in the desert all the time, and we don't feel them unless they're pretty close to the city, or at least in the Inland Empire.

The 6.7 we had in 1994 was centered in the city, so of course we felt that really nicely. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Seismic_Zone

List of earthquakes

[edit]

I was just thinking that. I'm surprised something of this size was felt over such a wide area. In CA, quakes of this size happen out in the desert all the time, and we don't feel them unless they're pretty close to the city, or at least in the Inland Empire.

The 6.7 we had in 1994 was centered in the city, so of course we felt that really nicely. :D

Josh, my house was shaking all the way up here! Earthquakes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hurricanes. Sorry ;)

Archived