Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
5.9 earthquake in Virginia

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

centered about 9 miles from my house.

at my partner's house in fredericksburg a grandfather clock fell over, stacks of materials have fallen, bricks fell from building in downtown fredericksburg, cracked drywall in one place that's immediately evident...normal earthquake stuff i guess

Just got let back into building. Streets of DC were packed.

BIggest quake by far I've felt since leaving CA. Actually got a bit nervous for a second or two when it really bumped.. building was making noises (never know how well these are built).

I was just thinking that. I'm surprised something of this size was felt over such a wide area. In CA, quakes of this size happen out in the desert all the time, and we don't feel them unless they're pretty close to the city, or at least in the Inland Empire.

The 6.7 we had in 1994 was centered in the city, so of course we felt that really nicely. :D

The mountain ranges out there absorb a lot of the shock.

The Eastern US is bedrock, alluvial mud, and relatively flat and the shock waves travel quite readily, plus the Eastern US quakes are intrafault, and more of a speed shear versus the slipping of two different faults traveling in opposite directions

Talked to 2 relatives in Morris County, NJ. Neither felt a thing and didn't believe me until I told them to put the radio on. LOL.

Earthquakes and hurricanes in the NE. You guys better watch out for a volcano forming next.

I knew what it was right away, it was a weird kind of shaking that is nothing like "heavy traffic" outside. Basically, everything was swaying back and forth. It was actually pretty exciting!

I was just thinking that. I'm surprised something of this size was felt over such a wide area. In CA, quakes of this size happen out in the desert all the time, and we don't feel them unless they're pretty close to the city, or at least in the Inland Empire.

The 6.7 we had in 1994 was centered in the city, so of course we felt that really nicely. :D

Ya, after feeling it, I was expecting it to be like a 4.5 - 5.0 centered near me. To hear that it was centered in VA was pretty surprising to me.

I was parked on a call and the hummer just started shaking like crazy. Thought wind and after a few secs my former years living in LA kicked in and on the open cnf bridge shouted earthquake and many others dud the same within seconds.

Biggest shake I ever experienced in NJ. Not as bad as the Whittier quake which hit when I was in the shower.

If I remember correctly on the Friday Afternoon just before Super Storm 1993 there was an earthquake on the east coast.

3 days before Hurricane Andrew struck South Florida, a 4.5 earthquake struck near Charleston in Summerville on August 21st, 1992 at 12:32 pm. that was crazy

Archived