Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
5.9 earthquake in Virginia

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of sounding strange I felt this weird wave like sensation in my body right before it hit. Almost like vibration of a big tuning fork or something. Pretty cool event. The first quake I've ever really felt.

As did I. Maybe they were just the P-waves, not strong enough to really notice anything shaking, but strong enough for someone sitting still to feel a little "dizzy" or "wavy". Then the S-waves hit.

i got a similiar text...it just said "bingo bango. thank you."

:lol:

I'm curious to hear reports from Richmond

I live about 15 miles west of Richmond. Loud boom, MUCH shaking and rattling. Many things fell off of shelves and such. 6 cats all ran for cover. It lasted for over a minute. We had a smalilish quake back in 2003 and this one I knew

was much larger and lasted quite a bit longer. It was pretty crazy.

I live about 15 miles west of Richmond. Loud boom, MUCH shaking and rattling. Many things fell off of shelves and such. 6 cats all ran for cover. It lasted for over a minute. We had a smalilish quake back in 2003 and this one I knew

was much larger and lasted quite a bit longer. It was pretty crazy.

Wow welcome to the board... and you weren't too far from the epicenter! Glad you're okay... how does the neighborhood look?

Wow welcome to the board... and you weren't too far from the epicenter! Glad you're okay... how does the neighborhood look?

Thanks for the welcome! I haven't been out of the house since it happened. Need to send the husband out to check the chimney and such for cracks. Still have adreneline running through the old veins! I haven't heard of any damage in my neighborhood though. I have to say that it was absolutely CRAZY! I live quite close to a rock quarry, so at first I thought they'd had an accident. When it kept on shaking and shaking I KNEW it was an earthquake. Have put everything that fell back up where it belongs and didn't see any cracks on any of the walls, so that is a good thing. I have to say that this is HUGE news for old Powhatan....lol!

Actually got a bit nervous for a second or two when it really bumped.. building was making noises (never know how well these are built).

This is essentially how I felt, too. Started shaking, then it seemed to get a bit worse for a few seconds. Shaking lasted for roughly a minute or so.

Story being picked up by The Washington Times and Fox News as well...

I think it started with FOX.

Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly reported at 2:30 pm that their bureau received information from a producer saying that a Captiol Hill Police officer says that the Washington Monument may actually be tilting as a result of the earthquake.

Seismologist John Rundle joined Kelly on her show and confirmed that the Washington Monument could very well be tilting as a result of the earthquake and the structure should be checked out.

Photoshop. Notice the flags at the base of the monument are lower than the ones on the side. Also note the line in the clouds where the Monument would have been if it were straight

also looks like spring based on the trees..

Archived