Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
5.9 earthquake in Virginia

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seriously every office east of the Mississippi does not need to send out all company emails letting us know you are ok.

LOL. My company sent an e-mail, as well as a text and voice mail message to my cell phone. I work in the suburbs of Philly and we had about 15-20 seconds of shaking (it wasn't real bad)...and then they evacuated our building 15 minutes after it happened. I guess they think it's better to go overboard than do nothing (and they may have been fearful of aftershocks).

West coast earthquakes range in depth from very shallow to very deep. I'm surprised this one was felt over such a wide area. Normally, deeper earthquakes are felt over a wider distance, and shallower ones are stronger near the epicenter but not felt over as large an area. This one was very shallow (3 mi is a shallow earthquake).

Classic for EC temblors actually... The crust here consists of cold granite up and down the EC and throughout the cordillera of the Apps, and out into the eastern GL/S SE Canada. This type of rock is superior for transmitting seismic waves over the silty soft decomposed granite bedrock of the west coast. They get orders of magnitude stronger quakes out there, for sure. But in the east, comparatively moderate energies can carry a particularly potent wallop because of the geology.

after a quake it is normal for buildings to be inspected.....obviously for structural integrity but one of the biggest issues is gas and water lines.

Its quite likely this quake did not cause any major structural issues outside of anything very close to the center......however.....its is also reasonable to inspect building for any problems with pipes.......bridges for cracks.......and runways for cracks. tubes and other encased structures are also commonly inspected.

I recall gas fires being more of a problem in previous large quakes....i.e. recall the San Fran during the World Series...which was larger.

Anyway...panic is uncalled for.....I think the hurricane should raise more eyebrows outside the obvious bit of anxiety one experiences after being shaken by a quake.

I felt that pretty good in Holtsville, New York - Long Island. The building shook back and forth significantly - wasn't sure what was happening, then the movement switched to a side-to-side motion which was smaller but higher frequency. We all evacuated the building.

Pretty good show huh?

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

304 PM EDT TUE AUG 23 2011

...NORTHERN VIRGINIA EARTHQUAKE...

AT APPROXIMATELY 151 PM A 5.9 MAGNITUDE EARTHQUAKE WAS RECORDED IN

NORTHERN VIRGINIA. THE USGS PRELIMINARY REPORTS HAD THE EPICENTER

PLACED 27 MILES EAST OF CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA. BASED ON

THEORETICAL CALCULATIONS THE QUAKE TRAVELED ONLY FOR 48 SECONDS

BEFORE IT BEGAN TO SHAKE THE PHILADELPHIA METRO AREA. THE SHAKING

LASTED ABOUT 45 SECONDS.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE EARTHQUAKE PLEASE GO TO THE UNITED

STATES GEOLOGICAL SURVEY WEBSITE AT, WWW.USGS.GOV.

I felt that pretty good in Holtsville, New York - Long Island. The building shook back and forth significantly - wasn't sure what was happening, then the movement switched to a side-to-side motion which was smaller but higher frequency. We all evacuated the building.

Pretty good show huh?

Didn't you just move here? Bet you didn't expect THAT.

At the risk of sounding strange I felt this weird wave like sensation in my body right before it hit. Almost like vibration of a big tuning fork or something. Pretty cool event. The first quake I've ever really felt.

Oh really? I felt this as well....

There have been numerous times where lower animals have sensed earthquakes just prior to the event. tongue.gif Perhaps you could rent yourself out to California.

Felt it here at Penn State. Was in an art history class nodding off, projector starts swaying and professor says "Holy sh*t" and sprints out. A few seconds later the rest of the class rushed out. Nothing really intense of course, but it was hilarious how the professor just ran full speed out of the lecture hall leaving us to fend for ourselves.

Archived