Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
5.9 earthquake in Virginia

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got let back into building. Streets of DC were packed.

BIggest quake by far I've felt since leaving CA. Actually got a bit nervous for a second or two when it really bumped.. building was making noises (never know how well these are built).

Exactly what I was thinking during the earthquake. I was like "oh crap, an earthquake and these buildings have no earthquake standards".

I knew what it was right away, it was a weird kind of shaking that is nothing like "heavy traffic" outside. Basically, everything was swaying back and forth. It was actually pretty exciting!

Yup... I knew immediately it was an earthquake. I had to feel it for a couple seconds to make sure it wasn't just a passing dizziness or something, but then the shaking picked up.

I felt it here in Albany NY! Flatscreen monitors in both rooms were shaking as well as my dads phone. house did some creaking, felt like I was on a boat during and after.

I wasn't sure wether to wake my father up and drag him out of the house or not because I didn't know if it would intensify or dissapate. Even when your educated about these things you still don't know how to respond during them. Do I go about my business or get out of the house? I stayed in the door frame to my dads room debating "do i wake him up or just wait here and go from there?". Quickly dissapated and I went to smoke a cig and figure out what just happened.

Exactly what I was thinking during the earthquake. I was like "oh crap, an earthquake and these buildings have no earthquake standards".

Yup... I knew immediately it was an earthquake. I had to feel it for a couple seconds to make sure it wasn't just a passing dizziness or something, but then the shaking picked up.

Yup, I stopped and grabbed onto a chair to make sure I wouldn't fall lol. It's interesting the differences between east/west coast earthquakes. Are yours pretty shallow? This one was about 3 miles deep.

i was surprised it kept continuing.. then we got the big shock after about 10-15 seconds of wiggles and that set everyone off.

they let us back in "for now" -- im guessing getting a structural engineer might be tricky. im guessing it's fine... metro is still running (but at 15 mph)

Felt it here as well... the first earthquake I've ever felt (in Kentucky of all places haha)... my boss asked a coworker if they thought the building was shaking, and shortly after another coworker said she was starting to get sea sick... I was standing up and walking around and didn't notice until I stopped... then I started to get dizzy as the building was swaying.

Pretty crazy. Hopefully people in the vicinity of the quake are okay... I can't imagine buildings there would survive this strong of a quake well.

Question for you or other earthquake junkies. Are there any known faults in the area where it hit?

Ancient faults thought to be extinct. As geological science goes, I am not sure what is considered extinct versus active - there is an "extinct" fault that runs down the Marrimack river in NE Mass and out to see N of Cape Ann some 100 miles or so - it let off a 6.3 quake prior to Colonial times. The old cliche applies: If that happened today ...

Anyway, there are faults of that nature up and down the EC.

Yup, I stopped and grabbed onto a chair to make sure I wouldn't fall lol. It's interesting the differences between east/west coast earthquakes. Are yours pretty shallow? This one was about 3 miles deep.

West coast earthquakes range in depth from very shallow to very deep. I'm surprised this one was felt over such a wide area. Normally, deeper earthquakes are felt over a wider distance, and shallower ones are stronger near the epicenter but not felt over as large an area. This one was very shallow (3 mi is a shallow earthquake).

Ancient faults thought to be extinct. As geological science goes, I am not sure what is considered extinct versus active - there is an "extinct" fault that runs down the Marrimack river in NE Mass and out to see N of Cape Ann some 100 miles or so - it let off a 6.3 quake prior to Colonial times. The old cliche applies: If that happened today ...

Anyway, there are faults of that nature up and down the EC.

Dr. O'Brien approves

Here in New Castle DE, someone asked if the building was shaking. Then I felt a funny vibration and the building started shaking. It felt sort of like a heavy wind hitting, but when I looked out the window the trees were still, but my plant on the window sill was shaking like crazy. The shaking became more pronounced with my chair moving back and forth, I grabbed my purse and car keys and ran outside and it stopped. Other people were coming outside too.

Archived