• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Summer's Swan Song

HoarfrostHubb

Do you know what kind of winds we had from Donna inland? like at BDL or HFD?

I couldn't find any specific obs but the preliminary report mentions 100mph in eastern CT. It's mentioned on page 2 in the links below:

http://www.nhc.noaa....loc/pshbos1.gif

http://www.nhc.noaa....loc/pshbos2.gif

http://www.nhc.noaa....loc/pshbos3.gif <== This is her storm track.

hth.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the drought is gaining attention, but Arkansas gets virtually every type of natural disaster there is, except earthquake.

California

Hundreds of inches of snow, major life-changing earthquakes, flooding, forest/wild fires, and of course Hollywood might be the ugliest natural disaster ever.

Oh wait, nothing is natural in Hollywood. Still a disaster though.

I'll go with the Midwest. Where else can you hit -30 or lower in the winter and 110+ in the summer with a high risk of large hail and tornadoes? Plus I've never seen another place with simultaneous tornado and blizzard warnings like Bismarck in spring '09. We don't have extreme heat or cold here, or much chance at 'canes and severe weather, so I'd say the worst we have to offer up is an ice storm. New England's pretty tame overall, and those that invest in natural disasters and cat bonds would agree based purely on risk metrics.

Being on the open Ocean front during a superstorm like 93 was nothing but tame. The combination of surf, wind and snow is good for me.

I'll go with the Midwest. Where else can you hit -30 or lower in the winter and 110+ in the summer with a high risk of large hail and tornadoes? Plus I've never seen another place with simultaneous tornado and blizzard warnings like Bismarck in spring '09. We don't have extreme heat or cold here, or much chance at 'canes and severe weather, so I'd say the worst we have to offer up is an ice storm. New England's pretty tame overall, and those that invest in natural disasters and cat bonds would agree based purely on risk metrics.

Having recently moved from New England, I think it might be that NE has the most weather, the most frequently. Sure, the extremes of temp, wind, rain, etc are more likely in places away from the coast, but there is something to talk about more often than not there. It's just more interesting, more often! :)

I'd also like to know the proportion of mets at, say, the NWS nationally who grew up in NE. Betcha it's fairly high.

And I have to agree with the Arkansas thing. I work with a guy there, and our phone conferences are always punctuated with "...and then I went down to the basement while working on this proposal, 'cause the sirens went off, again...."

Dave thats miserable, can you even swim in your pool??? How depressing it is living up there! Looks like low 80s this weekend, beach beach beach, coeds will be back in town too, eye candy carnival

Pool has thin ice signs posted (pool thermo is saying 72F which is probably 5+ degrees too warm)

Very comfortable, a mild and muggy 76.4/59 attm. We might hit the beach next week if things work out.

WaWa's beginner slope is getting a new high speed quad, which hopefully will reduce some of the lines at other lifts. Not that I care since I ski lots of mid-week nights when it is empty.

cam1.jpg

Labor Day ski sale coming soon. You should head up there. Or better yet, the October ski swap! Good stuff cheap

I wonder what the record gusts are for BDL and BDR? I have no idea where to even find that.

Two storms people forget about are Doria and Belle. Both tropical storms but they were a whole lot more legit in terms of wind in CT than Bertha or Floyd.

Belle had a sustained 58mph wind at BDR.

Well the drought is gaining attention, but Arkansas gets virtually every type of natural disaster there is, except earthquake.

Ah, check that Kevin. The New Madrid fault system lies precariously close by.. In the 1800s there were two 8.X quakes within days of one another that struck close enough to seriously do a tremendous amount of damage should that repeat.

Ah, check that Kevin. The New Madrid fault system lies precariously close by.. In the 1800s there were two 8.X quakes within days of one another that struck close enough to seriously do a tremendous amount of damage should that repeat.

Oh I know....that's a potential disaster....I was just focusing on their current disasters that range from floods, crippling icestorms, ocnl blizzards, flooding, tornadoes...you name it.

Archived