joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer's Swan Song

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, my 9\10 was likely generous....the was a complete fluke.

It's all subjective...no right or wrong answer as to why you like different types of weather. I still think severe is the one aspect that we're still trying to figure out. and is most difficult to forecast. With snow...you see them coming days away.

It's all subjective...no right or wrong answer as to why you like different types of weather. I still think severe is the one aspect that we're still trying to figure out. and is most difficult to forecast. With snow...you see them coming days away.

The problem with severe here, is that they can easily be fails.

With winter wx, the forecasting is much more complicated...but fun.

If I lived in OKC..it's a whole different ballgame. It's all relative.

Yeah my hill would get blasted...I wonder how strong the winds were there in Donna? I think 38 it easily probably gusted over 110mph..Maybe even 120

I wonder if Donna was that high..Maybe more like 90-100 since the track was very close to or even east of me

Donna is one of my earliest memories, waves overwashing the dunes, but from what I remember SNE really did not get hit hard at all.

New England is cool (and other parts of the country can be like this as well) because of the decent variety of wx we can experience. We get the cold/heat, nor'easters, we get good snow (in many areas), an occasional tropical threat (we really need one), on rare occasions we can get severe. Other places excel in one or 2 of these, but hard to get as much.

The amazing thing to me is Carol and Edna in 54. I mean 2 major canes making landfall in SNE within 12 days of each other? LOL..We haven't been able to get one in almost 2 decades now

Edna's last second turn adverted what would have been a major catastophe in RI, Hurricane on Hurricane would have been horrific.

New England is cool (and other parts of the country can be like this as well) because of the decent variety of wx we can experience. We get the cold/heat, nor'easters, we get good snow (in many areas), an occasional tropical threat (we really need one), on rare occasions we can get severe. Other places excel in one or 2 of these, but hard to get as much.

Yup...amen.

I was just talking about '38, Donna, Carol, and Edna this morning. Look at that track of Donna...it really didn't weaken much over FL and may have gained a little steam over the waters east of FL. To have those winds with that track is impressive.

But it also shows you how the winds, especially aloft, retain their strength with these acclerating storms. Just think how your hill in Tolland would blow like a mofo, if you had a '38..or even Gloria.

People forget about Donna but it was really nasty here in ct. Really bad coastal flooding in many towns in Fairfield county. Long island sound can produce some very bizarre surge patterns even with tracks to the east. Look at 38 and even carol that produced serious flooding in westchester and Fairfield on their western side.

People forget about Donna but it was really nasty here in ct. Really bad coastal flooding in many towns in Fairfield county. Long island sound can produce some very bizarre surge patterns even with tracks to the east. Look at 38 and even carol that produced serious flooding in westchester and Fairfield on their western side.

Do you know what kind of winds we had from Donna inland? like at BDL or HFD?

New England has its plethora of weather, but it certainly isn't the wildest. All things considered...we are in a rather good spot for avoiding widespread natural disasters. Of course they can happen, but when you look at other areas in the country..we are ok.

Most disaster prone state imo. Arkansas.

New England has its plethora of weather, but it certainly isn't the wildest. All things considered...we are in a rather good spot for avoiding widespread natural disasters. Of course they can happen, but when you look at other areas in the country..we are ok.

I'd say Texas.

And typically, New England wx "disasters" are big snows... to those who are ready for them they are not too threatening.

I could never, ever live in Tornado Alley... even though I am fascinated with them. Seeing this would give me a heart attack even before being impaled by a 2 x 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M_mcOL99qA&feature=related

And typically, New England wx "disasters" are big snows... to those who are ready for them they are not too threatening.

I could never, ever live in Tornado Alley... even though I am fascinated with them. Seeing this would give me a heart attack even before being impaled by a 2 x 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M_mcOL99qA&feature=related

I know...you almost can't help but gawk at those videos. I probably would be sucked into the funnel.

Yeah I'd take a cane and tornado with 15"+ rain over 24"+ snow any freaking day

I'll go with the Midwest. Where else can you hit -30 or lower in the winter and 110+ in the summer with a high risk of large hail and tornadoes? Plus I've never seen another place with simultaneous tornado and blizzard warnings like Bismarck in spring '09. We don't have extreme heat or cold here, or much chance at 'canes and severe weather, so I'd say the worst we have to offer up is an ice storm. New England's pretty tame overall, and those that invest in natural disasters and cat bonds would agree based purely on risk metrics.

Archived