joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer's Swan Song

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So mild and muggy today. Can't wait to go for a swim and drink an ice cold lemonade to cool off. Was so muggy last night it was awful sleeping WX

We had the windows mostly closed and an extra blankie on. Our pool is freezing.

I am sitting in a laundomat. Have not been in one since college. Large comforter ftl

We had the windows mostly closed and an extra blankie on. Our pool is freezing.

I am sitting in a laundomat. Have not been in one since college. Large comforter ftl

My kids asked me to close the windows yesterday. I might've gutted it out. Ex-in-law's pool goes into hibernation in two weeks. It was a pretty chilly dip over the weekend. Additionally, a spruce was dropping its leaves in it. I read here that leaves were not changing color ... but then, I don't live in the Whites. Could be different there.

My kids asked me to close the windows yesterday. I might've gutted it out. Ex-in-law's pool goes into hibernation in two weeks. It was a pretty chilly dip over the weekend. Additionally, a spruce was dropping its leaves in it. I read here that leaves were not changing color ... but then, I don't live in the Whites. Could be different there.

The only thing changing imby are the birches, but that is rxpected for mid August

Up to 65 now

Wanna laugh?

FINAL...

THE 12Z/16 DETERMINISTIC MODEL SOLUTIONS CONTINUE TO BE

SCATTERSHOT...BEARING ONLY A MODICUM OF RESEMBLANCE TO ONE

ANOTHER...AND SHOWING LITTLE CONTINUITY WITH PREVIOUS RUNS. THE

12Z/16 GEFS MEAN IS AGAIN AN OUTLIER TO THE OTHER GUIDANCE...AND

IS DIFFERENT FROM ITS 00Z/16 VERSION. THERE IS ENOUGH OVERLAP

BETWEEN THE DISPARATE DETERMINISTIC SOLUTIONS WITH THE MANUAL

BLEND USED FOR THE UPDATE PACKAGE TO PRECLUDE ANY SIGNIFICANT

CHANGES FOR THE FINAL ISSUANCE.

CISCO

Tell us how you REALLY feel - :lol:

Great day to work!

Partly cloudy at the hacienda

76............mid 80s forecast the next two days then around 80 through the weekend with increasing humidity, no torch but normal to a couple above, although I think we can raise temps this weekend and beyond

edit, just changed temps with the afternoon update.......83 tomorrow 80 thur then upper 70s

74/61 here..mild, muggy..and sunny

How is a dewpoint of 61 muggy? I can agree with the mild call of 74 and even the sunny part. I've also had a couple peaks of the sun today, only for about 5 minutes total, however. If the dewpoint never got above 61 all summer it would be a dream come true imho and I can't stand muggy.

Did I see you mention that you thought it might be a warm start to fall?

Yes, but that does not mean we will see summer temps. When I say stick a fork in summer, I mean that we might be done with summer heat waves. Euro takes us to the end of the month with none in sight. Clock is ticking fast by that point.

Yes, but that does not mean we will see summer temps. When I say stick a fork in summer, I mean that we might be done with summer heat waves. Euro takes us to the end of the month with none in sight. Clock is ticking fast by that point.

Everything is relative, I love September into early October, always good for a nice nw downsloping wind and temps well into the 80s, and very dry.

That's true of every year though. How many 3+ day stretches have we ever seen in September? It has never happened at BDR. BDL has had a couple notable heat waves in September (1953 when highs reached 101 on the 2nd and 3rd; 1983 which saw nine 90+ days from the 3rd through the 20th) with several more near-misses. BOS has had a couple (1961, 1983), ORH has only had six 90+ days in its entire period of record, none of which were on consecutive days, and PVD has only had one (1983).

I start to have my doubts every year on or about August 15 anyways...seems about on schedule. Climo-wise, we are on a steep slope of lower probabilities at that point, and by Sept 10, it gets exceedingly rare. Obviously folks will recall a renogate 86F in October from time to time but that kind of extremeness comes by once ever 10 years at most.

I am actually more stunned that at no point during this recent cool/rain spell did the thicknesses fall below 565dm, yet the temperatures were in the low 60s! That's odd - we keep doing that, too -

I think what that really suggests is that the lower troposphere is cooler than normal relative to the mid level thermal fiels in the means. Save that heat wave (ironically...historic as it was) these kind of cool temperatures are a bit strange for that middle 560s thickness.

This has been the trend in late summers/autumns in recent years, too. The mid October snows recently did that at 553dm with 850mb temps of -1C - that's a HUGE negative anomaly relative to that DM thickness... It's far more common to see a +4, +6C at 850 for that type of thickness.

It's definitely an odd kind of lower tropospheric signal going on. Interesting.

I start to have my doubts every year on or about August 15 anyways...seems about on schedule. Climo-wise, we are on a steep slope of lower probabilities at that point, and by Sept 10, it gets exceedingly rare. Obviously folks will recall a renogate 86F in October from time to time but that kind of extremeness comes by once ever 10 years at most.

I am actually more stunned that at no point during this recent cool/rain spell did the thicknesses fall below 565dm, yet the temperatures were in the low 60s! That's odd - we keep doing that, too -

I think what that really suggests is that the lower troposphere is cooler than normal relative to the mid level thermal fiels in the means. Save that heat wave (ironically...historic as it was) these kind of cool temperatures are a bit strange for that middle 560s thickness.

This has been the trend in late summers/autumns in recent years, too. The mid October snows recently did that at 553dm with 850mb temps of -1C - that's a HUGE negative anomaly relative to that DM thickness... It's far more common to see a +4, +6C at 850 for that type of thickness.

It's definitely an odd kind of lower tropospheric signal going on. Interesting.

We've had a lot of storms where it torched aloft with high theta-e, but cool maritime polar air in the lower levels of the atmosphere below 2000'. I think those aren't all too uncommon in the summer...given that you need high theta-e to get the good heavy rains. Interesting observation though.

Btw: .... it's not unprecedented climotology-wise to have a cool snap if not first frost 3 to 4 days preceeding an EC hurricane threat. Not sure what determinism falls out of these runs in terms of verification - CISCO laughably mentioned today that no run is believable in the extended range, so that doesn't bode well for any extended. Still, it is interesting to see hints of chilly night potential showing up on a few of these cycles.

Also, it is amazing to me that the NAO has recovered almost a full 2SD in the positive direction and yet there is almost no register on modulating recent cool departures - meanwhile, the runs and ensemble means are drilling the index again... It's like regardless of the NAO, we're going to be cool. I realize the PNA is supposedly less correlated during JJA, but this PNAP pattern actually fits with the current positive state rather well. Hmmm

We've had a lot of storms where it torched aloft with high theta-e, but cool maritime polar air in the lower levels of the atmosphere below 2000'. I think those aren't all too uncommon in the summer...given that you need high theta-e to get the good heavy rains. Interesting observation though.

Yeah, you may be spot on with cause - I am not sure. Good enough for me. BUT, I have used the fact that thickness and heights were still elevated to keep correcting my extended range thoughts, only to have those thought crushed and shattered before my very verifying eyes in dismay that we've found yet another way to make it cool with a 20 pts thickness to temperature heat sink top down.

Holy crap - that's like powdered f-up a forecast just add water, and not an easy recipe to see coming, either.

Yeah, you may be spot on with cause - I am not sure. Good enough for me. BUT, I have used the fact that thickness and heights were still elevated to keep correcting my extended range thoughts, only to have those thought crushed and shattered before my very verifying eyes in dismay that we've found yet another way to make it cool with a 20 pts thickness to temperature heat sink top down.

Holy crap - that's like powdered f-up a forecast just add water, and not an easy recipe to see coming, either.

I'm actually interested what the next 6 weeks bring in terms of hydro. It looks like we'll have a troughing signal over the next two weeks on the east coast. Throw in any tropical moisture, and you'll have more of those 9" of rain in 9 hrs type deals.

Also, if we do get something near or into the USA...whether it be a recurve or a gulf storm translating into a mid latitude cyclone in the Plains....it will probably bring the first "real" shot of polar air. It's happened a few times...it might be a 1 day cool shot, but if a trough can bring a storm near or onto the US...it could also phase and really drive a cool shot into the northern tier.

Of course it is just speculating, but we are perhaps entering more interesting times anyways.

Archived